Am I forever doomed to short hair?!

autumnbeauty29

It seems just like this hair of mine wont grow! I have been at this one length (< look at my avatar) for at least 9-10 months now. And truthfully I have only seen about 1 in. of growth (I know, I know.. it's growing because I constantly see new growth but what happens from the shaft down to the ends to maintain length seems to be my issue). :wallbash:

LHCF has been good to me and I've learned lots of new things but darnit I don't know how to make this hair of mine reach its full potential... I know it has it within. For a good eight months I have been doing protective styles (falls, pin curls, braided weaves) and co washing as opposed to using shampoo so much. I've been still EVOOing on the regular. I even keep my hair braided under my falls and moisturize every other night. Also, I just began with the Ayurvedic 'thing'.. I'm almost at my wits end.

Any tips/advice/anything. I am about to give up on my hair.:cry2:

what's your regimen?
what's your diet like?
I know my hair hasnt grown as much as I liked because I dont eat well.

*I usually co wash on Sunday, deep condition and then apply a leave in and either air dry or rollerset. I don't wash every 3 days because my hair seems dry.
*Every 4th Sunday I will use shampoo and then sit under the dryer and extra 30 minutes.
*Before and after I texlax I use a protein treatment.

Diet wise - ehhh, you got me there. My breakfast and lunch are great but dinner, most times I wing it.

Have you thought about co-washing more often? Also, what products are you currently using?
You said you don't wash every three days b/c your hair seems dry. Perhaps this is what's vexing your hair.

when i first joined the hair boards, my hair had been the same length for YEARS. i'm here to tell you that it can be done. my thought is that maybe you're doing too much. i've gotten my best results when i just moisturize my hair and leave it alone.

you say your hair is dry. what are you using specifically for moisture?

ITA with Prettyface's quote. ^^^^:yep:

Are you relaxed and using direct heat or any heat? If your hair is relaxed, the misuse of heat could be the culprit. My hair took off after I stopped using heat altogether.

Besides your diet, how is your water intake--1/2 your weight in ounces each day? Drinking enough water each day is the most important thing we can do for our hair and health.

How much exercise do you get each day or during the week? The scalp needs blood circulated there so the hair can be nourished and grow.

Our attitude and beliefs about our hair plays probably the biggest role in how our hair will be. If we believe our hair is doomed to be short, then it will be. Visualizing the your ideal hair length and health will give it the jumpstart it needs. :yep:

Have you thought about co-washing more often? Also, what products are you currently using?
You said you don't wash every three days b/c your hair seems dry. Perhaps this is what's vexing your hair.

*To poo I am using Neutrogena Creamy or Shakakai bar
*To co wash I am using Suave humectant
* Condition- Honest&Goodness (natural) grapefruit or Mane n Tail Deep Moisturizer
* Deep Condition- Ic Deep Penetrating Creme Moisturizer
*Leave in- T-Tree

ITA with Prettyface's quote. ^^^^:yep:
Are you relaxed and using direct heat or any heat? If your hair is relaxed, the misuse of heat could be the culprit. My hair took off after I stopped using heat altogether.

Besides your diet, how is your water intake--1/2 your weight in ounces each day? Drinking enough water each day is the most important thing we can do for our hair and health.

How much exercise do you get each day or during the week? The scalp needs blood circulated there so the hair can be nourished and grow.

Our attitude and beliefs about our hair plays probably the biggest role in how our hair will be. If we believe our hair is doomed to be short, then it will be. Visualizing the your ideal hair length and health will give it the jumpstart it needs. :yep:

*Yes, I am texlaxed. I use direct heat sometimes ( I will say once a week) to flat iron the front my of hair.
*As far as my water intake I will say it is about 1/4 of my weight which I could definitely use a boost in that area.
*Exercise is nada:perplexed I did not know that about circulation...

*Yes, I am texlaxed. I use direct heat sometimes ( I will say once a week) to flat iron the front my of hair.
*As far as my water intake I will say it is about 1/4 of my weight which I could definitely use a boost in that area.
*Exercise is nada:perplexed I did not know that about circulation...

I used to flat-iron my hair once a week as well, and my ends were always breaking. I soon realized that even though once a week may not seem like a lot, but it was enough to keep me from retaining any length.

Do you use a heat protectant [sp?] whenever you flat-iron?

ETA: I definitely see growth and thickness from May 07 to Jan 08 :yep: Do you happen to know how much do you receive monthly? yearly?

Last edited:
Like the other ladies said, I might revise my regimen. Also think that perhaps your hair is getting thicker first, then you'll see length. That's what happened to me. I'm almost positive you're not doomed to short hair. :grin:

It seems just like this hair of mine wont grow! I have been at this one length (< look at my avatar) for at least 9-10 months now. And truthfully I have only seen about 1 in. of growth (I know, I know.. it's growing because I constantly see new growth but what happens from the shaft down to the ends to maintain length seems to be my issue). :wallbash:

LHCF has been good to me and I've learned lots of new things but darnit I don't know how to make this hair of mine reach its full potential... I know it has it within. For a good eight months I have been doing protective styles (falls, pin curls, braided weaves) and co washing as opposed to using shampoo so much. I've been still EVOOing on the regular. I even keep my hair braided under my falls and moisturize every other night. Also, I just began with the Ayurvedic 'thing'.. I'm almost at my wits end.

Your hair will grow! It seems like you are doing too much, "falls, pin curls, braided weaves", etc. Try to keep it simple. Just wash, deep cond w/heat, rollerset w/heat once or twice a week and be done. I've seen some of the healthiest heads of hair from just wkly rollersetting. Personally airdrying just drys my hair out. I believe that relaxed hair need some heat (indirect). Keep those ends moisturized and you should see results.

think about it this way... in May '07 your hair wasn't too healthy. now you're growing new hair in at the scalp and you're taking better care of it so that hair is thick, healthy, gorgeous and continuing to grow in that way. BUT your ends were still damaged. so the longer your hair gets, the older the ends get from month to month... and if they're damaged they just aren't gonna last.

i know you've done a few trims and all, slowly getting rid of those ends... i can tell from your progress pics. your ends looks SOOOOOOOOO much better! :yep: your hair has gotten full all around. eventually you will be rid of any damaged hair and that healthy hair you started taking such great care of in May '07 will be your ends. they will be strong and as you continue to grow more hair you will be able to retain those ends and see LENGTH!

and people will be hating on you left and right because it will seem like your hair just jumped up and started "growing" overnight... :grin: don't be discouraged! i think you've made great progress already and i look forward to seeing you reach your goals.

You are not doomed to short hair.......You just have to find what works for you....I think you got some really good advise ...Time to change your regimen.....Stay encouraged!!!

think about it this way... in May '07 your hair wasn't too healthy. now you're growing new hair in at the scalp and you're taking better care of it so that hair is thick, healthy, gorgeous and continuing to grow in that way. BUT your ends were still damaged. so the longer your hair gets, the older the ends get from month to month... and if they're damaged they just aren't gonna last.

i know you've done a few trims and all, slowly getting rid of those ends... i can tell from your progress pics. your ends looks SOOOOOOOOO much better! :yep: your hair has gotten full all around. eventually you will be rid of any damaged hair and that healthy hair you started taking such great care of in May '07 will be your ends. they will be strong and as you continue to grow more hair you will be able to retain those ends and see LENGTH!

and people will be hating on you left and right because it will seem like your hair just jumped up and started "growing" overnight... :grin: don't be discouraged! i think you've made great progress already and i look forward to seeing you reach your goals.

Ladies, thanks so much!:bighug:I can see a difference in my hair from May to now in thickness so I hope that the length is just right behind the thickness.

Your hair will grow! It seems like you are doing too much, "falls, pin curls, braided weaves", etc. Try to keep it simple. Just wash, deep cond w/heat, rollerset w/heat once or twice a week and be done. I've seen some of the healthiest heads of hair from just wkly rollersetting. Personally airdrying just drys my hair out. I believe that relaxed hair need some heat (indirect). Keep those ends moisturized and you should see results.

What type of rollers do you (anyone here use) for rollersetting? Right now I'm using the ones that are plastic with grip from Sally's.

E_Williams20
I use IC Heat Protectant, and just recently started using CHI brand because I ran out of the IC...but personally I don't like it as much. I hate the way I hear a 'sizzle'.

*To poo I am using Neutrogena Creamy or Shakakai bar
*To co wash I am using Suave humectant
* Condition- Honest&Goodness (natural) grapefruit or Mane n Tail Deep Moisturizer
* Deep Condition- Ic Deep Penetrating Creme Moisturizer
*Leave in- T-Tree

Autumn, one thing I do see missing from your regimen is a sealing oil..are you using one especially at the edges and ends? Your moisture may be evaporating. I use a kitchen made almond oil, shikaiki powder, amla powder with a little bit of grapeseed and vitamin E oil so I can keep it at room temperature instead if in the fridge. I sometimes use KEOKARPIN or DABUR OLIVE OIL to seal.
I rarely comb my hair.

If you're still relaxing/texlaxing or whatever, then your hair is growing. You need to determine what is causing your breakage. Could it be the braids or the falls?

I agree with all of the above. Your hair has gotten sooo much thicker and healthier from just last May to now. Your hair looks so good now. Just be patient (at least try ;))--the length will definitely come. :yep:

What type of rollers do you (anyone here use) for rollersetting? Right now I'm using the ones that are plastic with grip from Sally's.

E_Williams20
I use IC Heat Protectant, and just recently started using CHI brand because I ran out of the IC...but personally I don't like it as much. I hate the way I hear a 'sizzle'.

I use the magnetic rollers with the metal clips. Salley's have them.

I used to thing the same thing about my hair and almost gave up, but DON'T DO IT!!!! I learned that KISS worked better for me. When I first joined, I was using every juice and berry someone suggested worked for them. I was taking in excess of 12 pills a day, drinking teas, etc.

I am just now starting to see true growth after almost two years. Re-evaluate your regimen as some of the ladies said. It sounds like retention may be your issue.

In my case, I was doing too much and ended up setting myself back a few times. Try setting a progress pic schedule as well. Once I stopped looking for growth, I got it. I didn't even realize my hair was growing until my mom said something about it.

Try taking a progress pic every relxer and you'll be surprised at the progress you've made.

Also...using a flat iron once a week...It's too much. Have you tried roller sets instead?

I'm going to look for some new rollers so that I retry this rollersetting. Most times when I finish it looks horrible and if I have new growth it is never 'right'.

I DO want to cut back or STOP using the flat iron!

Back