Am I doomed to avoid EVCO forever, and miss out on all the yummy DCs?

Emz Forever

Hello ladies, I have been lurking for a while (eight months :blush:), but I just subscribed today :spinning: and have a question for you.

I am in braids now to help me stretch to 24 weeks and am planning what DCs to buy for when I take them down. My question is this: My hair hates EVCO. The only way I can use it is in my prepoo hot oil treatments, and once I finish up my tub, I won't be repurchasing.

However...

I have identified some conditioners I want to try that have evco in the ingredients (eg the new Elasta QP Intense, H-Two Leave-in and Pantene R&N Moisturizing Conditioner to name a few). I just wanted to know... if my hair hates evco, do I forever have to avoid all products that contain coconut oil, or do you reckon it will be alright because of the other ingredients and because manufacturers are unlikely to use that much of it in the formulation anyway?

Thanks a bunch :)

Hello and Welcome!
I'd say that if the CO is listed after the 3rd or so product on the ingredients list you should be good to go!. Have you tried any protein treatments before?How did your hair respond? It may be that your hair is protein sensitive. If that's the case I would try to stay away for products with heavy proteins. Good Luck

Thanks for the welcome and response Trini Chutney :)

I use a protein conditioner (Aphogee 2 minute) twice a month or so with no problems at all. But my hair complains if I even put a drop of EVCO on it. It goes hard and crunchy then breaks...and that doesnt happen with anything else....

Maybe your hair just doesn't like EVCO. My hair HATES pure Shea Butter, but I know a lot of people who swear by it. Sometimes you just have to figure out what your hair likes/doesn't like.

My hair hates EVCO when it's left in (I'm one of those people who swears by shea butter). I get crunchy, dry, greasy hair. I avoid all products with straight up coconut oil like the plague (ie. shea butter mixed with coconut oil, or any other oil infusions that have coconut oil high on the list). I've found that if it's in conditioners I can get away it.

Maybe your hair just doesn't like EVCO. My hair HATES pure Shea Butter, but I know a lot of people who swear by it. Sometimes you just have to figure out what your hair likes/doesn't like.

Hi Miryoku, thanks for replying....does this mean that your hair hates shea butter on its own but can tolerate it in products (eg Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, Biolage Ultra Hydrating Balm, Cantu Shea Butter etc) or that it hates shea butter in totality...so much that you cant use any products containing it?

Sorry for more questions. Just trying to figure this out so I dont waste money on a bunch of stuff I wont be able to use.

My hair hates EVCO when it's left in (I'm one of those people who swears by shea butter). I get crunchy, dry, greasy hair. I avoid all products with straight up coconut oil like the plague (ie. shea butter mixed with coconut oil, or any other oil infusions that have coconut oil high on the list). I've found that if it's in conditioners I can get away it.

Thanks AimWard, this is what I wanted to know - about how it would react in conditioners :)

Hi Miryoku, thanks for replying....does this mean that your hair hates shea butter on its own but can tolerate it in products (eg Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, Biolage Ultra Hydrating Balm, Cantu Shea Butter etc) or that it hates shea butter in totality...so much that you cant use any products containing it?

Sorry for more questions. Just trying to figure this out so I dont waste money on a bunch of stuff I wont be able to use.

Pure Shea Butter is a the biggest NO-NO for me.

Products that have SB in them needs to be low on the ingredient list. And even when they are low on the ingredient list I use VERY little otherwise my hair will have a fit!

Pure Shea Butter is a the biggest NO-NO for me.

Products that have SB in them needs to be low on the ingredient list. And even when they are low on the ingredient list I use VERY little otherwise my hair will have a fit!
Thanks a bunch for this... I guess I wanted an idea of whether it was worth giving these condishes a try and I think I just might do that....

Back