Alternative to relaxer to get hair relaxer straight

cocoberry10

Hello Ladies:

I've decided to straighten my natural hair. I was wondering if there are any good products or strategies you could suggest. I NEVER want to relax again, but I admit, I miss the silky feeling when it was super straight. I haven't straightened in a LONG time, so I know it may take more than one try.

Direct me to your fotkis, or other threads, or anything that you have found helpful. I want it to be straight and silky. Thanks!

Are you trying to do this yourself or go to a salon? I would suggest a blow out. I am not natural but if I were, I think I would get blow outs when I wanted my hair straight.

I saw you in the BKT thread before. Have you ruled that out? I did it and I love it. I'm on the fence with transitioning and this kept me from relaxing. I believe you can get the straightness/silkiness your looking for with the BKT without commitment. HTH:grin:

Question on BKT. Do you have to be natural first and then put it on or were you relaxed/textlaxed then put it on? Just curious.

I saw you in the BKT thread before. Have you ruled that out? I did it and I love it. I'm on the fence with transitioning and this kept me from relaxing. I believe you can get the straightness/silkiness your looking for with the BKT without commitment. HTH:grin:

Thanks. I forgot about that! I need to check it out!

Are you trying to do this yourself or go to a salon? I would suggest a blow out. I am not natural but if I were, I think I would get blow outs when I wanted my hair straight.

I was going to try it myself, but maybe I'll go to the salon. I am going to search for BKT! Thanks ladies!

What is BKT?

Hi Cocoberry!

I didn't know you were a natural.

Unless you are a DIYer or in a hurry, I would go to the salon but do your research. A lot of stylist have trouble styling natural hair or certain types of natural hair. Your best bet is to find someone who has natural hair similar to yours and ask who straightened her hair and if she like the person and etc.

Once you go to the salon, try it out yourself.

You can either rollerset and then flat iron or braid your hair and air dry overnight and once dry flat iron it.

Also, it may take several times to get silky straight so don't give if 1st attempt don't look so good

When I was natural, I would shampoo and condition ( I think I was using Sebastian at the time) I didn't know about leave ins so I would use a mixture of Hang Straight (Aveda) and castor oil. Then I would blow dry w a comb attachment and use my flat iron (Conair) I have Type 4 hair but it's more of a Z pattern, or small little S's. They aren't coils so I think it was easier to straighten and my hair would stay striaght for a while.

That may be too much heat for you though..

Back