Alternative Bun Styles

KinksnCurlz

To all the women who are concerned with thinning edges/breakage due to pulling hair back in their daily bun please try this alternative.

- First and foremost, comb hair with a W I D E tooth comb (I use my jilbere) in the direction that you are going to style your hair -see below.
- Using a rattail comb, part hair on the side or in the middle (i like the side best - and i part mine right where my eyebrow starts)
- Starting on the right side of part and using the rattail comb, comb hair DOWN and behind your ear. Repeat on the left side. (Now do not be concerned about using the rat tail -I lose about 4-5 hairs tops per day b/c I do not comb all of the hair, I just comb the above layer so the hair flattens b/c i never use a brush - heck i don't even own a brush. Try it and you'll get what I mean b/c my visuals have been sucking lately and no, i will not be making a diagram today class.
laugh.gif

- Gather your hair whereever you like - options are low and right of head, low and left of head, low and middle and lastly high and middle - and secure with the ouchie.
- Spread lose hairs out in a circle and secure with u shaped hairpins so the end result will be a donut shaped bun.

Using this method, I've lost fewer hairs and my hairline has not suffered one bit. Play with it, give yourself 2 buns (i came to work like that once and got some really nice compliments). Good luck and let me know how it turns out ladies.

Professor CH? "
grin.gif

I don't get the "spread lose hairs out in a circle" part. You don't have to draw
laugh.gif
but, if possible, can you elaborate?

It sounds like she means fanning the hair out in all directions so it forms a circle, then pinning the ends under so you have a bun. I hope I got it right!
laugh.gif

Yeah - except I always get spaces when I do that - the fan doesn't fan right - I looks like a "holey" fan....
laugh.gif

and thats the way i would do my bun and get great curls out of it.....i guess i could not explian it the way carmel honee did...lol

and thats the way i would do my bun and get great curls out of it.....i guess i could not explian it the way carmel honee did...lol

Thanks Isis, that is exactly what i meant.
Ladydee, no more lessons for you, you are dismissed from the class today b/c u r making fun of the 'teacher'
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Tracy - LMAO at the 'holey fan'. But this is what i do b/c i use to get the holes too (uh oh, here comes another attempt at giving u a visual aid
rofl.gif
)...

- Once the hair is fanned out, grap a small section of the right side and roll it (like a blunt - NOT TIGHT, VERY LOOSELY... ummm, i don't do that but that is the only thing i could think of
laugh.gif
) and continue around in a circle as you continue to grap pieces of your hair. Each piece you grab will cover the previously rolled hair.
- Once you've come to a full circle, you should have some length left over (esp. if you hair is beyond shoulderlength). Take that remaining length and circle it around your already formed bun. This hair will wind up being underneath your formed bun, hence eliminating the 'spaces'. AND even if a space does appear, your hair underneath it camouflage it.
smile.gif

- Make sure you pin the bottom of your 'bunned' hair, to the loose hair wrapped underneath it.

If all else fails, get yourself a pair of socks (ankle socks r fine) and cut out the toe parts of both socks. Roll both socks together until it forms a donut. Place the donut on your hair after the rubberband has been put on. Fan your hair around the donut and pin it. This is a surefire way to get a beautiful FULL - NO HOLED bun. I thought I was so cute when i did this too.
wink.gif
I wish somebody would have even attempted to try and tell me differently. I kept looking in the mirror like whoa... girl, u did a damn good job
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Yes, i do know how to toot my own horn... beep beep!

OR

You can go to a bss store and buy the donut. For both of these suggestions, you might want to sew a piece of silk/satin around your concoction to avoid losing any hairs or getting split ends.

Please somebody tell me that makes sense.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Seriously, I'm gonna try this. I have one side that grows slower than the other side. It is also shorter - regardless of trims to even it out. I was worried about breakage from buns.

Thanks for the info!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ladydee36330 said:
Thanks for such an informative, insightful class. Will we have diagrams in tomorrows lesson?
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl.gif

I used to do my bun like this. After the hair gets to a certain length though--the "spread out" doesn't work anymore
nono.gif

...not complaining

I know what you mean. For me, this doesn't work because the front of my hair is a little below the chin, and much shorter than the rest of my hair, and so the sides always "escape" the bun. The only way to keep them in place is with gel, and I can only do that by for so much. If not, I'll be walking around looking like I left hair hanging out on the sides. I wish my hair was all even.
cry3.gif

*not to mention a parted bun makes my head look much bigger*
laugh.gif

Try some decorative hair clips. They have a lot of them at Sally. If your not into those, I use the same hair clips i do my bun with and pin my left side (shorter side). Keeps the hair in place all day.
smile.gif
(Imaging your hair is already in the bun and your hair on the left 2 short to reach the bun, i take the pin and pin it 4wards -toward the front of my face - in total i use about 4 pins and you can't see them b/c my hair is dark.)

[ QUOTE ]
Ladydee, no more lessons for you, you are dismissed from the class today b/c u r making fun of the 'teacher'
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OH PLEEEAAASSSEEE say it aint so I'll be good I promise. Cross my heart and hope to die stick a needle in my eye
shocked.gif
I'll be good, may I please come back for more great insightful instruction. can I huh can I huh huh
frown.gif
frown.gif

Here's a
rosebud.gif
for you techa can I be teacher's pet now?

[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
Try some decorative hair clips. They have a lot of them at Sally. If your not into those, I use the same hair clips i do my bun with and pin my left side (shorter side). Keeps the hair in place all day.
smile.gif
(Imaging your hair is already in the bun and your hair on the left 2 short to reach the bun, i take the pin and pin it 4wards -toward the front of my face - in total i use about 4 pins and you can't see them b/c my hair is dark.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I shall try that.
scratchchin.gif
Perhaps, the pins will take the attention off my big noggin.
laugh.gif
look.gif

Ahhh - blunts....a visual I can understand....
laugh.gif

What?
wasntme.gif
I'm from CROOKLYN y'all - with heightened powers of observance!!!!!!!!!
laugh.gif

It makes sense girl it makes sense!
grin.gif

Back