All you rollersetters out there...

Auburn

May I see your growth progress?
Do you feel like this has helped retaining length because you keep it simple?
What do you use to set your hair?
Do you roll under or upwards?
Are you natural? relaxed? etc?

TIA!

Last edited:
When I used to roller set 2 times a week, I noticed a lot of retained growth every time I get a relaxer. Plus I was using no heat. But since I've stopped, I got a setback, my hair isnt as thick as it should be due to me ignoring it. But roller setting it is easy to me I sometimes roller set under and upwards in the same set. I just wash it with Aphogee, spray the leave in, Then apply some mouse and roller set. I did that twice a week sat under a dryer with the setting on cold or air dried and I had progress. But I'm going to start back :) I'm about to put my relaxer in.

i tried rollersetting, but it came out crunchy and kinda dry. i know thats not normal. does anyone have any products advice for rollerseting. i used ic serum and la bomba leave in (dominican product)

Do you feel like this has helped retaining length because you keep it simple? Yes, I love rollersetting. I do this once a week, then bun, and it really helps me retain length
What do you use to set your hair? I use a leave in and a serum. Right now my favs are Giovanni direct and Chi serum
Do you roll under or upwards?I roll going upwards, because it flattens my new growth
Are you natural? relaxed? etc? I'm relaxed

Goal-1.jpg

This is when I started my journey last January. It has been a year. My siggy pic is my current length

Last edited:
I'm relaxed and I made myself learn how to rollerset because of a setback i have from blowdrying and flat ironing once a week on wash days. My ends are thin because of that. I roll under in the center and upward on the sides. I'm on a quest to see if this helps my hair recover. I use keracare foam wrap and lacio lacio. My rollersets come out soft and bouncy.

Do you feel like this has helped retaining length because you keep it simple? Yes, But I don't roll my hair often, only about 3 times in a 3 month period.
What do you use to set your hair? I use magnetic rollers and bobby pins.
Do you roll under or upwards? I roll under.
Are you natural or relaxed? I'm relaxed/texlaxed.

I will always be a rollersetter, I feel it has certainly contributed to the health of my hair as well as with growth retention as I am able to retain moisture so much more easily as the cuticle is so smooth. You'll see in the first picture how thin and damaged my hair was (and it was even worse than that previously). I'm a consistent rollersetter, have been doing it once a week for the past nine months, sometimes twice a week.

Currently Rusk Smoother as well as some Argan oil on my ends

I roll under

I'm relaxed

First pic was taken last December and the second pic this week (as well as my siggy pic). Sorry the picture quality is so crap, must get a proper camera sorted out

Last edited:
I love rollersets...when I rollerset I use either magnetic rollers or flexirods (whatever is my mood). I use Nairobi setting foam and I really like the results. Rollersetting is my signature style. I like to roll upward, for volume and bounce. I have not done one in a few weeks b/c I have been buning. I've been able to retain length with RS, but not as much as I wanted. I'm also relaxed.

Last edited:
I have retained alot of length through rollersetting. I do this once a week. Have been doing it for about 3 yrs. Now that I'm transitioning, I'm rolling upwards. I use Aphogee Green Tea, NTM, and Fantasia IC serum (Pink).

Do you feel like this has helped retaining length because you keep it simple? Yes! I love rollersetting and I actually loath blowdrying my hair now. Macherieamour says somewhere on her site that her hair thrived once she started deep conditioning and rollersetting. For some reason that stuck with me and all the length I've gained this year is from the time I started rollersetting at the beginning of August. My hair grew before that and I gained a wealth of progress on overall hair health but I didnt start retaining until I started rollersetting.
What do you use to set your hair? My hair hates leave-ins and setting lotion so I just use my moisturizer of choice and water. So either Hairveda Vatika Frosting or Elasta QP Mango Butter.
Do you roll under or upwards? I guess under, idk
Are you natural? relaxed? etc? Natural BUT at the end of July I put a BKT in to make rollersetting possible, I will probably get another BKT in june or july of 2010 so I can airdry. My ends are a little heat damaged but thats pre LHCF and rollersetting. I also need to disclose that even though I rollerset I do use a flat iron on my roots. I am fanatical though about not letting the flat iron go any further along the length than necessary.

Roller setting has definitely helped my ends... in fact, I am typing this while under the hooded dryer... hair in rollers!

I am relaxed and My favorite leave-in spray is black tea. This definitely curbed my shedding. I usually roll downwards and roll the side of my head upwards for more body. There have been a few times where I have rolled upwards to straighten my hair when I was over 3 months post-relaxer.

Yes, I started rollersetting last February and I've been doing it every week since. It's an easy way to get straight or curly hair with no direct heat. My ends are always very moisturized and in great condition.

I don't have update pics yet, I started at shoulder length but had a setback do to too much protein/henna so I lost about 4 months progress. I won't do a length check until January.

I use a serum and a leave in, usually Chi silk, Paul Mitchell the conditioner and sometimes some Aphogee keratin spray. I use lacio lacio sometimes too.

I roll the sides under and the top up.

I'm relaxed but transitioning to natural.

Yes, once I learned that I don't need to use a super fine tooth comb, and to be much more gentle with my hair throughout the process, rollersetting helped with retaining length.

What do you use to set your hair?I was using lotta body and setting lotion, but one day pre-LHCF I decided to use my Paul Mitchell's super skinny serum and water and I've been hooked ever since. It was an added bonus when I got here and learned that I was using a bit too much product. Using serum has helped me cut drying time down to 30 minutes.

The last set that I did using the serum I decided to put coconut oil on my ends and I was pleased with how moisturised my scalp was.

However, at the moment my bad habit is to flat iron all the way through when I'm done with my set. I feel like its a lot of volume and the front of my hair looks like a grandma when I'm done, but my goal is to move away from this practice.

Do you roll under or upwards?I roll under...had to think about it, lol.

I'm relaxed and stretching ....this is week 7 and so far everything is going pretty well. Can't keep my fingers out of my little curlie q's in the new growth.

Last edited:

TIA!

I'm natural, 3C and my avatar shows my Sept 09 picture
yes I'd say rollersetting has helped me retain length
I don't use a setting lotion. I only use conditioner and then rollerset. At night I put my hair up in a ponytail and my hairstyle lasts a week.

i tried rollersetting, but it came out crunchy and kinda dry. i know thats not normal. does anyone have any products advice for rollerseting. i used ic serum and la bomba leave in (dominican product)

Try again minus the serum. The serum probably caused the crunchy feeling. Also make sure your hair is detangled. Use a rat tail comb when you're parting your hair and use that same comb to detangle that small section of hair. HTH.

Sorry I just started rollersetting again since my mom did it for me as a child, I'm literally only on my 3rd one
I don't know if it will help me retain length but I do know that I like this soooo much better than airdrying. My hair is crunchy after airdrying. Crunchy and tangled. This gives me a great chance to detangle etc.
I started on my first rollerset with chi silk infusion and chi iron guard 44
Now I use miracle 7 in 1 from sally's since it melts my tangles, both workd great though

both, I'm kind of confused about that actually
relaxed

TIA!

Sally's has a great leave in called Miracle 7 in 1
also chi silk infusion works great :yep:
did you airdry your roller set?
did you deep condition before rollersetting?

i use giovanni direct leave in for my sets, I roll up, i'm relaxed. the giovanni d.l. really gives me soft shiny sets. I just trimmed my hair to start the new year fresh so no super growth yet, but my hair is healthier than when I was blowdrying.

My mother was a hairdresser and always told me that rollersetting was the key to grow hair vey long. And for sure it worked on me.

To be honest, I am not 100% sure that I would not have grown my waistlong hair in 2 different periods of my life without those large rollersets. But, as my current hairdresser confirms, it is also 100% sure that rollersetting is not detrimental tothe hairgrowth.

My very personal feeling is thatrollersetting indeed helps hair growth. During the 3 yers period where I stopped rollersetting, I am convinced that my hair was less thick and gowing slower. But this could be the result of repeated blow dry.

Do you feel like this has helped retaining length because you keep it simple? I love rollersetting! My hair has thrived and retained a lot of length because of it. I started rollersetting in August. It's much healthier and thicker.

What do you use to set your hair? I use a small amount of Kerecare leave-in and Sabino or Mizani Thermasmooth Serum.

Do you roll under or upwards? I roll under.

Are you natural? relaxed? etc? I'm texlaxed but I am transitioning.

May I see your growth progress? Fotki in signature
Do you feel like this has helped retaining length because you keep it simple? Yes it has helped, minimize use of direct heat.
What do you use to set your hair? Lacio Lacio and water
Do you roll under or upwards? Down
Are you natural? relaxed? etc? Relaxed

I have photos in my fotki

I believe it helps in retaining length because you are avoiding direct heat from blowdryers and hot irons, however I don't feel it is simple to do. I actually hate rollersetting my own hair, but it's my favorite style to wear. Also you can get breakage from manipulation of combing and smoothing your hair out, or rolling your hair too tight depending on how strong your hair is. (My hair is very fine and fragile)

I use a variety of Products to set my hair: BBD Stretch, Lacio Lacio, Smooth Down Heat Glide, Chi Silk Infusion, BB Wrap Foam, and Rusk Smoother Leave in, in diff. Combinations

I roll up or down depending on the style I want to wear

I'm relaxed.

Same here! I just started the rollersetting challenge last week. So far I love it and I will continue with it because my hair has stayed soft and tangle free all week. I roll upwards but I use lacio (silk) and water, too.
I put pics from my new rollerset in my fotki. (no pw, but you must be logged in to see hair albums)

May I see your growth progress? I'll be back with Pics after my relaxer on wed.
Do you feel like this has helped retaining length because you keep it simple? OMG, without rollersetting I think I would be really struggling. I have tried just about every method to dry my hair and rollersetting has proven to be the most beneficial.
What do you use to set your hair? I use only Joico k-pak products to set my hair, I use the liquid reconstructor, restorative hair oil, split end mender and foam protect...in that order.
Do you roll under or upwards? It depends. recently I have been switching up my technique from week to week, as to not cause too much stress in one area. However normally I rollerset the sides upwards or forwards.
Are you natural? relaxed? etc? Im relaxed, 4b, fine, fragile strands, medium thin density

Back