Pics: wet or dry? and why?

Wet or Dry?

• I take my pics with dry hair

Votes: 105 86.1%
  • I take my pics with wet hair

Votes: 17 13.9%

• Total voters
I do both but to show progress I prefer to take close to sopping wet because it stretches it better.

I'm curious as well.

I'm texturized and my hair is much longer when it's wet, so it would not be honest of me to show pics of myself with soaking wet hair as my true length. Now on natural hair, I can understand.

P.S. I mentioned this before on someone's post, but I think they dismissed me as a hater. Oh well.

When you show us your hair progress pictures, do you take them wet or dry? And why do you use the method you use? Which do you think shows your *true* length better? Just curious. I can partially understand why a natural-head would show length pics on wet hair, but don't understand why a relaxed-head would show wet pics. I may be missing something though. Thoughts?

TIA.

I've seen that a lot here.

Either is fine....

what is ridiculous to me is when a relaxed head will post a pic of herself in the shower while under running water just to show "true" length.

i'm like gtfoohwtbs.....

that's like standing on your tippy toes at the doctor's office just to show your "true" height.

im sry but one thing that annoys me is when someone post a pic say 4 months post relaxer . then post a comparison shot of a month later, of freashly relaxed hair.

the dates on the picture are only a month apart but the progress was actually 5 months in the making. that annoys me to no end....

(im probably going to get stoned for this post arent i ...... )

im sry but one thing that annoys me is when someone post a pic say 4 months post relaxer . then post a comparison shot of a month later, of freashly relaxed hair.

the dates on the picture are only a month apart but the progress was actually 5 months in the making. that annoys me to no end....

:look: *stands in line for her stoning*

The same thing drives me crazy when it comes to BC's - talking bout you BC'd 8 months ago, and have SL hair - neglecting to mention that you transitioned for 20 months! That's 2+ years of hair! Stop it! :lachen:

Last edited:

good call. didn't notice that.

Dry, I think relaxed folx should just wait to their next relaxer if they want to show true length...Now that is just my preference because I like to see comparison shots with dry hair.

I agree with this. I only take my progress pics after my touch ups on dry hair.

Stone me too.

What about pictures where the middle of the brastrap is rising up the poster's back and the poster pulls and stretches the back of their hair to that brastrap that's risen to their armpit...and everyone congratulates them on being bsl?

Also pictues where the person is clearly leaning back with their neck all bent backwards and claiming whatever.
chestopener.jpg

:look: *stands in line for her stoning*

The same thing drives me crazy when it comes to BC's - talking bout you BC'd 8 months ago, and have SL hair - neglecting to mention that you transitioned for 20 months! That's 2+ years of hair! Stop it! :lachen:

Stone me too.

What about pictures where the middle of the brastrap is rising up the poster's back and the poster pulls and stretches the back of their hair to that brastrap that's risen to their armpit...and everyone congratulates them on being bsl?

Also pictues where the person is clearly leaning back with their neck all bent backwards and claiming whatever.
chestopener.jpg
  • You are wrong for that
  • Too funny!:lachen:

Stone me too.

]

:lachen:...

I like to do mine dry...for some reason I can really see more of the progress this way and this is how others see me...plus my hair waves up at the root when it is wet therefore not giving a true indication of my progress.

I take them on airdried hair since I don't always straighten after a touch-up.

I started my journey taking them that way and didn't want to abruptly change up (some pics straight, wet, etc) the method because it wouldn't tell the story of my progress. I could see that I was gaining thickness and that's also progress, so I just let it be.

When I post my update soon, I'll do one airdry pic and one straight pic to show the true length.

Since were talking about pet peeves, can I list mine?

1.When somebody obviously tilts their head back to make their hair appear longer.
2. When people do side by side pictures but they don't match up. It's like one is really close, the other is really far away but the hair looks exactly the same length, but it appears longer because of how they are lined up next to eachother. (hope you understand what I'm talking about)
3. When someone says "LOOK AT MY GROWTH" and I don't see any change, I won't comment at all. But this person might have like 200 pages with ladies saying WOW that's amazing growth when to me, it was chin length in the first one, and the same chin length in the second one.
4. Claiming a length when only 2 hairs are actually there.

My pics are airdried wash n' go's. My hair is just as curly wet as it is dry so the only way I can show length shots is if I flatiron...:ohwell: A couple of the pics may *look* like my hair is wet but it's not, that flash on the cam gives off more shine than what one sees IRL. :look: :perplexed

Stone me too.

This little guy does not begin to show me rolling around on the floor with laughter:lachen:

I told DH when he took my updates that I was actually going to need to take this March update again in the 3 wks because I remembered the first shot was actually 4 weeks post.

He was like :nuts:. Then after he took the photo, I said "wait, you need to make sure you stand in the same position you did last time, you need to make sure your shot goes down to my waist and there is approximately 4 inches of space above my head so I can crop 10 pix off each side and :blah: "

So he took another photo, I looked at it and said "you'll need to take this again, :cry2: just stand where you were because I didn't have my arms folded and I need to look straight ahead at that dot on the wall because that will give the dimensions :brainy: in this picture as before.

We're nuts :wallbash:

edit: And let me not forget...I took another bra photo, but not any bra would do...I had to go dig up that same worn out purple bra. (I love that thing because it's so raggid-ly comfortable..just doesn't cut off my circulation or dig into the rolls as bad) :grin:

That thing wasn't even clean, but I said I have to use the same bra as before if I'm gonna take the same photo.:blush: I know...yuk :barf:, but the pic had to be the same.

Last edited:
This little guy does not begin to show me rolling around on the floor with laughter:lachen:

I told DH when he took my updates that I was actually going to need to take this March update again in the 3 wks because I remembered the first shot was actually 4 weeks post.

He was like :nuts:. Then after he took the photo, I said "wait, you need to make sure you stand in the same position you did last time, you need to make sure your shot goes down to my waist and there is approximately 4 inches of space above my head so I can crop 10 pix off each side and :blah: "

So he took another photo, I looked at it and said "you'll need to take this again, :cry2: just stand where you were because I didn't have my arms folded and I need to look straight ahead at that dot on the wall because that will give the dimensions :brainy: in this picture as before.

We're nuts :wallbash:

edit: And let me not forget...I took another bra photo, but not any bra would do...I had to go dig up that same worn out purple bra. (I love that thing because it's so raggid-ly comfortable..just doesn't cut off my circulation or dig into the rolls as bad) :grin:

That thing wasn't even clean, but I said I have to use the same bra as before if I'm gonna take the same photo.:blush: I know...yuk :barf:, but the pic had to be the same.

:lachen::lachen: Girl, you just RESPECT the progess photos game, thas all.... :lol: making SURE your photos are on point.

Last edited:
I take mine wet. I have to stretch to show length anyway because I never straighten my hair, and due to shrinkage it would not matter if it were dry.

I take both but for different reasons: wet for texture and regimen pics, and dry for length. I usually pull my hair to show the real length since shrinkage doesn't allow me to see what it really is....

Great thread, OP!

cj

Dry hair. Anything else is simply inaccurate. Wet hair is automatically going to appear a different length and texture than it really is. If I see wet hair pics, I just don't bother looking carefully.

When I start giving progress pics for the 3 challenges im currently in they will be of dry hair in 2 strands. Why ? Just my preference. Its something about water beading on folks hair that turns my stomach a little. I dunno why. It just does.

Hmmm, well may be I shouldn't really contribute to this thread because I have never actually taken a pic of my hair.

But I do think of taking a pic and that's always when my hair is wet. Not for any reason but that's when I think of taken a hair pic. But then I'm like "urgh I can't be bothered to take a pic now, I'll take it the next time" But really it'd make no difference. It stretches to the same place wet or not........I think.

Definitly learning some stuff on this thread tho'. Didn't know i had to get my progress pics "on point" lol. I'll have to get hubby to help me the next time I think about taking a pic, just to make sure I'm standing in the right point lol

Last edited:
I take dry pics.

When my hair is wet it looks midback. All hair stretches and is elongated wet.

When it dries, my hair looks BSL uncurled.

When I curl dry hair for pics, then my hair doesn't even look BSL. It looks a tad past APL>

So, I don't really know which way to show actual length. But I'd prefer to show it as I wear it (dry and curled)... if I have to stretch a piece to show it stops after my bra clasp, then to me that doesn't have the affect of brastrap length.

It's not like you go around in public with wet hair or using your fingers to strength out your length. So why do it in pics? I think the true length is the length your hair looks in public. I know that's somewhat controversial.

I take pics of both wet and dry hair :yep: I'm transitioning, so even wet it doesn't show my true length. The only way I could show length is when I straighten it, which is once in a blue moon. The wet pics shows more of my natural curl definition because when I comb my hair out, it turns into an afro puff :grin:

Stone me too.

chestopener.jpg

:lachen::lachen::lachen: at the pic...."I'm waistlength y'all!" LOL

Back