All Chemical Treated Colored Heads....GET IN HERE!!

blackbarbie

I have a question about shampoos and conditioners that you ladies use to maintain your color. (there was a thread a while ago, but I can't find it)

I have always seen the poos and conditioners for color treated hair on the shelves at the store, but thought it was just a marketing ploy and never thought twice about them. As far as maintaining the luster or the shine, I never really paid that much attention to that part (of my hair) I guess b/c I look at it every day and never saw a difference, even though there may have been one.

I am going to get new highlights on Saturday as most of them have grown out. I was just just wondering if you ladies could chime in on products that have helped to maintain the sheen of your color (I guess that's what the products claim to do), but are moisturizing as well..

Thanks in advance for the recs!!

BB:)

When I highlighted my hair I used Nexxus Botinol shampoo for chemically treated hair and used ApHogee Pro-Vitamin leave in conditoner to help maintain the color and moisture level in my hair. They were recommended to me by one of the best stylist I ever had and they worked well for me. She also recommended regular oil treatments.

I use John Frieda products. I use the Radiant Red and Brilliant Brunette line because I dye my hair dark brown and it has red higlights. I mostly use the conditioners and masks from the line.

dicapr said:
When I highlighted my hair I used Nexxus Botinol shampoo for chemically treated hair and used ApHogee Pro-Vitamin leave in conditoner to help maintain the color and moisture level in my hair. They were recommended to me by one of the best stylist I ever had and they worked well for me. She also recommended regular oil treatments.

The Nexxus is only sold at salons right? Is it very expensive? Is is stripping or does it allow you to at least detangle the hair before you put the conditioner on? As far as the Aphogee Pro-Vitamin leave in, do you use a creamy leave in as well?

I have a ton of products already, and they seem to work well in keeping my hair healthy/conditioned, but I was trying to see about implementing something into the routine to help maintain the shine of the highlights.....

Crazy question: How do you know if your highlights look dull or not? (like they talk about on the commercials?:confused: )

TIA!!

Last edited:
B_Phlyy said:
I use John Frieda products. I use the Radiant Red and Brilliant Brunette line because I dye my hair dark brown and it has red higlights. I mostly use the conditioners and masks from the line.

Are these found exclusively in salons or can I get these from OTC at the drugstore? And in addition to maintaining the luster of your color, do they also moisturize and leave your hair soft?

TIA!!

I have used paul mitchell color care products after a recommendation from some one here. When ever I am really trying to preserve my color, I make sure that I use a color care shampoo. I will follow with my regular conditioner and them use a color care conditioner as my last rinse. Make sure your leave-in and styling products have sunscreen which will help prevent you highlight from becoming brassy. I would also find a rinse the same color as your highlights and use it to refresh your color once it starts to dull.

I forgot to add that keracare has a color line that is supposed to be good. I have also used the matrix color care line (the purple one) and it worked well. I really like the shampoo and the mask from that one.

blackbarbie said:
Are these found exclusively in salons or can I get these from OTC at the drugstore? And in addition to maintaining the luster of your color, do they also moisturize and leave your hair soft?

TIA!!

John Frieda can be found in just about any mass retailer. I usually get mine when they're on sale at CVS. And yes, the products are really moisturizing for my hair, that's why I like the conditioners best.

The Keracare line for Color Treated Hair is good and Goldwell and Redken also have lines for color treated hair.

B_Phlyy said:
John Frieda can be found in just about any mass retailer. I usually get mine when they're on sale at CVS. And yes, the products are really moisturizing for my hair, that's why I like the conditioners best.

I saw some in the CVS on yesterday.....Thanks for the rec!!

gymfreak336 said:
I have used paul mitchell color care products after a recommendation from some one here. When ever I am really trying to preserve my color, I make sure that I use a color care shampoo. I will follow with my regular conditioner and them use a color care conditioner as my last rinse. Make sure your leave-in and styling products have sunscreen which will help prevent you highlight from becoming brassy. I would also find a rinse the same color as your highlights and use it to refresh your color once it starts to dull.

This sounds like a good combo for combining the products that are specifically designed to preserve your color along with some of the products that you already have.....That's my whole deal; I have quite a few products that I don't want to ditch but I want to see about preserving the color as well......

Thanks!

MissB said:
The Keracare line for Color Treated Hair is good and Goldwell and Redken also have lines for color treated hair.

Thanks! Gymfreak mentioned the Keracare line for Color Treated Hair as well. I need to compile the list and then look at prices.....

I will ask my brother when I go to the salon this afternoon to get my color, but I really want to know from people that use it on their OWN heads, as I know they know better. Not that I don't trust his advice, but it's just that he knows what he uses for his customers, but he doesn't know everything they do to their hair when they don't come to him. You ladies (US....WE) watch our hair like hawks, so who would know better about our hair than US????

Thanks for all the recommendations ladies!!:)

JOICO has some color shampoos and conditioners. I use them sparingly now that I've had my color for a while. When I have fresh higlights I try my best to use at least a shampoo for color-treated hair.

After a while I just go back to using what I know works for my hair. I've found that my color does not tend to fade because I always pre-poo with some kind of condish before I shampoo to lock in/protect my color.

blackbarbie said:
The Nexxus is only sold at salons right? Is it very expensive? Is is stripping or does it allow you to at least detangle the hair before you put the conditioner on? As far as the Aphogee Pro-Vitamin leave in, do you use a creamy leave in as well?

I have a ton of products already, and they seem to work well in keeping my hair healthy/conditioned, but I was trying to see about implementing something into the routine to help maintain the shine of the highlights.....

Crazy question: How do you know if your highlights look dull or not? (like they talk about on the commercials?:confused: )

TIA!!

Nexxus is now sold at drug stores. It is mid priced, but a little goes along way. Botinol is moisturising and it has oils in the shampoo. I don't use creamy leave ins. They don't absorb into my hair and make my hair drier than it was. For me, its the liquid leave in sealed with oil or a light hair grease.

I really like the Paul Mitchell Color Care line. When I had platinum blonde highlighs these products kept my color vibrant and kept my hair strong and healthy. The leave-in spray is the BOMB!

Now I have lightbrown highlights and I just use my creme of nature shampoo and a color depositing conditioner when my color looks a liitle dull or brassy. I got it at Sally's,but John Frieda, Pantene and other brands offer the same type of conditioners.

I use Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose products which is recommened for color treated hair. My friend who is color treated uses the Keracare color treated line and loves it. Good luck with your choice!!! :)

I never took the time to take care of my colour. But I kind of wanted it to wash out anyway.

When I go jet black, I will definitely take the time for it to stay.

is it good to use serums on colored hair if you're not straightening it

and is roux porosity control a good enough shampoo to prevent the buildup of cones?

Back