Air Drying Will Cause More Damage Than Blowdrying (Kinda Long)

punchinella

These are not my words, this is taken from a stylist in Canada. I have been air drying for some time now. I have not blow dried since May. I just want to do what's best for my hair. Is this true?

There is a hair stylist in Canada that states he has a fair amount of knowledge in Trichoanalysis.
Trichoanalysis is the scientific study of hair which allows a better understanding of the physical and microscopic properties of the hair keratin.

He says that air drying your hair after the shampoo will cause more damage than blow drying. Blow-drying is always preferable to air drying for one main reason. When the hair is wet, the water molecules fill the cracks in the cuticle and absorb into the hair. Like a sponge, the hair expands enough to accommodate the water. The water exerts a slight pressure from inside the hair which stresses the cuticle layer and lifts the cuticle outwards slightly. If the hair is in a stressed state long enough, the hair's cuticle layer will split and peel up to relieve the pressure. The cuticle is a hardened dead layer of protein and once the stress fractures happen, there is no permanent repair solution. When the hair is blown dry using warm air on a low setting, the water is evaporated out of the hair quicker, relieving the stress faster.

Dry your hair without drying out your hair! The constant use of blow-dryers and flat iron can leave your hair dried out. High heat and the length of time high heat is used on the hair will also reduce the structure of the hair. The hair will lose its elasticity. Damage to the cuticle of the hair will make it more breakable. Steam will form inside the hair shaft which in turn will burst hair by breaking it. This is why we need to limit the amount of heat as well as the length of time you dry the hair.

Blot your wet hair, wrap the towel around your head like a turban, in just a few minutes the towel will have absorbed the excess moisture. Use one of the old fashioned table-top dryers, the ones that you put your head under, they fold and expand to different heights. Start with hot and reduce to a cooler setting then begin styling when 80%-90% of the hair is dry

Blow dry with a diffuser first, and then style when 80%-90% of the hair is dry, or use the blow dryer with the nozzle pointing down the hair shaft by gently moving your fingers. When the hair is 80% or so dry, use a paddle brush to smooth out the ends and then finish with cold air. Apply Leave-in treatment on clean towel dried hair prior to application of any styling tools

Hot Air Tricks. After towel drying your hair, apply a leave-in treatment. A good thermal protector will do many things: seal the cuticle by acidifying the hair, (should have pH 3.0 to 4.5) adds thermal polymers that absorb the heat and cause less damage to the hair. Make sure you keep the blow-dryer moving; (left right, left right motion) instead of leaving it in one spot, and point the nozzle down the hair shaft.

Blow-dry the nape area first, leaving the area above the forehead second. The bottom part should be dried first, so that the top part does not absorb the moisture from the bottom. In the end, this gives body to your hair. No matter how much you use the blow dryer, the top will remain flat because the hair soaks up moisture from the bottom while it is wet. If drying hair upside down, start at the nape, move on to the sides and dry the crown last since there is a tendency to over dry that area. Begin styling the hair when the scalp is completely dry and 80% of the hair is dry.

Hair Gurus I am looking forward to your replies.

Last edited:
punchinella said:
These are not my words, this is taken from a stylist in Canada. I have been air drying for some time now. I have not blow dried since May. I just want to do what's best for my hair. Is this true?

There is a hair stylist in Canada that states he has a fair amount of knowledge in Trichoanalysis.
Trichoanalysis is the scientific study of hair which allows a better understanding of the physical and microscopic properties of the hair keratin.

He says that air drying your hair after the shampoo will cause more damage than blow drying. Blow-drying is always preferable to air drying for one main reason. When the hair is wet, the water molecules fill the cracks in the cuticle and absorb into the hair. Like a sponge, the hair expands enough to accommodate the water. The water exerts a slight pressure from inside the hair which stresses the cuticle layer and lifts the cuticle outwards slightly. If the hair is in a stressed state long enough, the hair's cuticle layer will split and peel up to relieve the pressure. The cuticle is a hardened dead layer of protein and once the stress fractures happen, there is no permanent repair solution. When the hair is blown dry using warm air on a low setting, the water is evaporated out of the hair quicker, relieving the stress faster.
Dry your hair without drying out your hair! The constant use of blow-dryers and flat iron can leave your hair dried out. High heat and the length of time high heat is used on the hair will also reduce the structure of the hair. The hair will lose its elasticity. Damage to the cuticle of the hair will make it more breakable. Steam will form inside the hair shaft which in turn will burst hair by breaking it. This is why we need to limit the amount of heat as well as the length of time you dry the hair.
Blot your wet hair, wrap the towel around your head like a turban, in just a few minutes the towel will have absorbed the excess moisture. Use one of the old fashioned table-top dryers, the ones that you put your head under, they fold and expand to different heights. Start with hot and reduce to a cooler setting then begin styling when 80%-90% of the hair is dry.
Blow dry with a diffuser first, and then style when 80%-90% of the hair is dry, or use the blow dryer with the nozzle pointing down the hair shaft by gently moving your fingers. When the hair is 80% or so dry, use a paddle brush to smooth out the ends and then finish with cold air. Apply Leave-in treatment on clean towel dried hair prior to application of any styling tools.
Hot Air Tricks. After towel drying your hair, apply a leave-in treatment. A good thermal protector will do many things: seal the cuticle by acidifying the hair, (should have pH 3.0 to 4.5) adds thermal polymers that absorb the heat and cause less damage to the hair. Make sure you keep the blow-dryer moving; (left right, left right motion) instead of leaving it in one spot, and point the nozzle down the hair shaft.
Blow-dry the nape area first, leaving the area above the forehead second. The bottom part should be dried first, so that the top part does not absorb the moisture from the bottom. In the end, this gives body to your hair. No matter how much you use the blow dryer, the top will remain flat because the hair soaks up moisture from the bottom while it is wet. If drying hair upside down, start at the nape, move on to the sides and dry the crown last since there is a tendency to over dry that area. Begin styling the hair when the scalp is completely dry and 80% of the hair is dry.

Hair Gurus I am looking forward to your replies.

Sorry, I had to quote you just to blow up the text because it was too small for me to take the time to read...:look:

Blowdryers and regular hair dryers didn't always exist and personally, I don't believe people went around with damaged hair because they airdried it. My hair is thriving since I started airdrying. It is common for stylists to blowdry hair and this is the stylist sharing his or her point of view.

Isis said:
Blowdryers and regular hair dryers didn't always exist and personally, I don't believe people went around with damaged hair because they airdried it. My hair is thriving since I started airdrying. It is common for stylists to blowdry hair and this is the stylist sharing his or her point of view.

That's what I was thinking, I was like my grandma did not have a dryer. But that's why I posted it because I wanted to see what you ladies thought about the statement. Thanks Isis.

Airdrying or bonnet drying always worked better for me. When I was relaxed, blow drying would leave my hair frizzier, and I would HAVE to use a curling iron or flat iron to smooth it. Eventually I got damage and breakage. If I would put a leave in and braid my hair up or pull it back to dry, it dries soft and smooth and I could wrap it and let it straighten itself out just using my body heat and a scarf.

I have airdried almost exclusively for close to 9 years and my hair is just fine. I don't subscribe to blanket statements like these. I do what works best FOR ME.

Isis said:

I agree. I was blowdying my hair with every wash for YEARS, and my relaxed hair was thin and breaking. I stopped using all kinds of heat for the last 2 months, and my hair has never felt thicker or healthier.

Blowdrying was my friend when I had relaxed hair, but prefer airdrying for my natural hair.

I also think that it's the way you airdry that makes a difference. Airdrying in braids or twists is best for our type hair rather than letting it dry loose. Plus, it should be thoroughly detangled before airdrying.
You also have to keep in mind hard water. If you airdry with hard water, of course your hair is going to feel dry and brittle.
It's also important to airdry with a nice leave-in or moisturizer that's suitable for your hair.

i feel like the only person on this board who is natural that CANNOT air dry. i have tried it many different ways with all types of products and my hair is get tangled up badly :( i do everything i can to minimize the heat and take care of my hair but i just can't do a 100% air dry.

my hair isn't breaking off or anything so i guess i am doing fine but i just find it amazing that my hair responds badly to it

Also, I think the appearance of air-dried vs. blow-dried hair can be misleading. Blow-dryed hair uses heat to smooth the cuticle which can "look' healthier than hair that has been allowed to air dry. The ends of air dried hair can look frizzy and rough - making the hair appear damaged.

Not to mention how you style or handle your hair after it is air dried does come into play. If you start trying to rip through it with a comb like it's been blown dry or flat-ironed - you can damage your hair. Different methods require different maintenance.

I don't agree with this.

So many professionals will say that airdrying hair most times and less heat in general is better. I'll pass on that advice.

This is interesting. Whenever I plan on wearing my hair natural I air-dry I find that if I wash and condition, lightly towel dry then place an oil mixture in my hair and braid it It comes out looking moisturized and soft, of course after a few days I would need to do it all over again to achieve the same crimped-natural look that it gives me. I know this is not damaging to my hair, but if I don’t take care of it after 1 week and don’t moisturize ext for the next week it is:mad: … blow-drying my hair in general makes it frizzy if I get the Dominicans to do it they leave it nice and bouncy but I can feel the damage to my ends from the blow drier and I know overall its NOT good for my hair. Flat ironing it myself works as far as aesthetics but I know it is not good for my hair, I think whenever you can smell burnt hair its probably not good for your hair. :ohwell:

The trouble for me is I want my hair to be healthy and I want to be able to flat iron it occasionally 1ce every 3 months or so. I don’t know if this is possible but this site has given me so much information I am actually hopeful that I will find something that works for me

Isis said:

Great post and I totoally agree. There is no way airdrying is more harmful that blowdrying (for my hair). My hair is THRIVING since I stopped blowdrying.

That is the reason why you apply leave in conditioner when you airdry to close the cuticle. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Airdrying is works for me it's more healthier imo.:)
Also, when I airdry I smooth my hair into a ponytail and put a roller on the ends my hair comes out soft and straight.

I don't know if i agree with it or not,but my hair doesn't respond to well to airdrying at all!!!!!!!.....so i condition wash then blowdry and i use a lite dressing pomade mixed with essential oil to apply to my scalp once a week,i'm going back to my 'ole school ways,it seems to be working for my relaxed head.

You ladies are great, I knew I could count on you. I am just learning about the "science" of hair and I like to hear the experiences of others (with heat or without).

One of the reasons I posted this was because of another post I read about the hair cuticle swelling from moisture. So when I read this guy's statement it made me wonder.

The thread was called sleeping with conditioner

I've air dried my hair consistently for 9 months now, and my hair is loving it!! I'll never use another blow drier unless it's really needed. Isis is proof that no heat is needed and her hair is beautiful!

beadedgirl said:
I don't know if i agree with it or not,but my hair doesn't respond to well to airdrying at all!!!!!!!.....so i condition wash then blowdry and i use a lite dressing pomade mixed with essential oil to apply to my scalp once a week,i'm going back to my 'ole school ways,it seems to be working for my relaxed head.

My hair breaks off something terrible when I air dry. There must be some truth to the article based on the hair type because I blow dry just about every single day and my hair is very healthy. Every single time I've ever tried to air dry, I could run my fingers thru my hair and come out with a handful of hair every time.

I blow dry using a tourmaline dryer and I use low heat. My hair comes out very soft, bouncy and shiny.

It probably all depends.

Isis said:

This is so true! For a while I wondered my hair didn't get any longer, then I realized I had to give up the blowdrying. Since I have, my hair has been thriving.

I agree with the article. When I used to airdry, I had much more hairloss and tangling than I do when I blowdry on warm/low.
I also have less splits. Go figure.

Poohbear said:
..I also think that it's the way you airdry that makes a difference. Airdrying in braids or twists is best for our type hair rather than letting it dry loose. Plus, it should be thoroughly detangled before airdrying.
You also have to keep in mind hard water. If you airdry with hard water, of course your hair is going to feel dry and brittle.
It's also important to airdry with a nice leave-in or moisturizer that's suitable for your hair.

I agree. If I airdry in rollers or braids, I don't have any problems.

carpediem628 said:
My hair breaks off something terrible when I air dry. There must be some truth to the article based on the hair type because I blow dry just about every single day and my hair is very healthy. Every single time I've ever tried to air dry, I could run my fingers thru my hair and come out with a handful of hair every time.

I blow dry using a tourmaline dryer and I use low heat. My hair comes out very soft, bouncy and shiny.

It probably all depends.
Same thing here. My hair hates airdrying! Oh well :confused:

Blowdrying thinned my already thin relaxed hair badly. In the seven years since I went natural, I've used the blowdryer twice. I prefer airdrying in braids because that way I keep my hair on my head instead of on the floor (like blowdrying would do).

I think airdrying is healthier. The less heat the better but there are some folks, like me, that dont have major issues with blow drying/flat ironing weekly or bi-weekly.

punchinella said:

He says that air drying your hair after the shampoo will cause more damage than blow drying.

I'm surprised no one brought this up.

Most of us dont dry our hair after the shampoo. After shampooing, we condition the hair, then let it dry.

Of course your hair will be damaged after the shampoo; the con relieves pressure from inside the hair which relax the cuticle layer and returns it to normal size.

Last edited:
Back