Air Dry Rollerset???

Chrissy811

Has any one ever done rollerset but let your hair air dry instead of getting under the dryer? Can you share your process or your results?

Thanks

I've been airdrying in rollersets since I first started my hair journey.
It's been very healthy and moisturizing for my hair and the results are smooth, straighter hair--much better than blowdrying. :yep:

I airdry my rollersets but last week I sat under the dryer because I was rushing and my hair came out a lot better under the dryer. It was shinier, I guess because the heat from the dryer closes the cuticles.

I have just begun to do this because I tend to wash my hair late at night and am too lazy to sit under the dryer.

I rollset my hair with a creamy leave in, seal with a serum or hair polish and then tie with a triangle net. I then mill about the house until bedtime and then I take the pins out of the rollers and put a satin scarf or cap on top of the of the triangle net and go to bed.

I find that taking the pin out makes it easier for me to sleep in the rollers. HTH

I've been airdrying in rollersets since I first started my hair journey.
It's been very healthy and moisturizing for my hair and the results are smooth, straighter hair--much better than blowdrying. :yep:
isis how long does this usually take?

I have airdried my rollersets(flexirods or mesh/magnetic rollers) for a while..I am too lazy to get under the dryer so I set early(morning) on the weekends and wash, them rollerset. For flexis, I leave them in overnight because they take longer to dry. Mesh rollersets dry the quickest for me(2-3 hours) Magnetics can take a long time too(sometimes over night to be safe). My results are pretty much the same as heat drying, no frizzies, smooth curls--it just takes longer.

Last edited:
BUMP!!!!

Hey ladies, I was wondering how successful you have been with a MASSIVE amount of NG?????? Do your aridried rollersets still come out smooth?

BUMP!!!!

Hey ladies, I was wondering how successful you have been with a MASSIVE amount of NG?????? Do your aridried rollersets still come out smooth?
For a lot of new growth, I use Sylver2's scarf method to airdry in a rollerset. This keeps my hair, especially the NG very smooth She has a great tutorial of this in her album. :)

I always airdry with magnetic rollers. it does take forever and a day though. but I love the results. for me, I guess the less product I use, the better. I basically just airdry with some glossing polish and some wrapping foam

For me, I rollerset early in the evening and sleep overnight in the rollerset, so that's several hours. :)
This is what I do. I have no problem sleeping in rollers. I've never sat under a dryer to dry my rollerset. As long as the hair is pulled taut enough, my hair comes out smooth. If I have a lot of NG, the curls disguise the NG.

For a lot of new growth, I use Sylver2's scarf method to airdry in a rollerset. This keeps my hair, especially the NG very smooth She has a great tutorial of this in her album. :)

Maybe I am being a little slow, but I don't really get how you do both. Do you do the scarf thing after the airdry, or do you have the rollers hanging on the ends so that you can tie the scarf on??? Please explain it for me....

Maybe I am being a little slow, but I don't really get how you do both. Do you do the scarf thing after the airdry, or do you have the rollers hanging on the ends so that you can tie the scarf on??? Please explain it for me....
After applying my leave-in conditioner and oil (or serum) to seal, I smooth my wet hair back into a ponytail and secure it momentarily with a scrunchie. I make sure the front is exactly how I want it to look when dry, with a part on the side.

Then I tie a satin scarf tightly so it covers the front, sides and top of my hair. I remove the scrunchie in the back so I have loose, wet hair hanging and proceed to roll it up with purple or gray rollers, making about 8 sections.

BTW, I'm not rolling it up all the way to the scalp but I roll it up a little high. This works best for me since I'm airdrying overnight and I don't want the rollers to come off. Sylver2 has sections hanging just a little lower than mine and that works very well also since she uses the dryer. The rollers are towards the back when I'm finished rather than on the sides and it's so easy to sleep in them overnight to airdry. ;) I tie a nylon rollersetting hair net (like from Sally's) just over part of my scarf and over the rollers to keep them from moving, making sure they are not scrunched up--you don't want them to airdry that way.

When it has airdried, I untie the scarf and remove the rollers. The top, front and sides are very smooth, shiny and straight, almost like I used a flat iron. When several weeks post relaxer (13 weeks +) it still looks very, very good. :)

I remove the rollers, fluff out my hair with my fingers and I'm good to go. Very low maintenance. This part takes me 3 to 5 minutes or so, more if I feel the need to primp. :gorgeous: :lol:

The result is a very pretty rollerset with very loose curls (because of the roller sizes). It looks almost like I wrapped my hair but have curls.

Later that evening, I make about 8 pincurls and tie a satin scarf over it for bed. :)

*Adds this to her Fotki hair regimens under "About Me"*

ETA: I also use Macherieamour's rollersetting method as described in her DVD. Check out her website at www.healthytextures.com :up:

Last edited:
I airdry my rollersets but last week I sat under the dryer because I was rushing and my hair came out a lot better under the dryer. It was shinier, I guess because the heat from the dryer closes the cuticles.
Do you let your hair dry completely before taking out the rollers when you air dry? My experience was the opposite to yours. I always go under the dryer because it would take days for my hair to dry.

Do you let your hair dry completely before taking out the rollers when you air dry? My experience was the opposite to yours. I always go under the dryer because it would take days for my hair to dry.

yeah i usually airdry over night. when i wake up in the morning my hair is dry. so its completely dry.

After applying my leave-in conditioner and oil (or serum) to seal, I smooth my wet hair back into a ponytail and secure it momentarily with a scrunchie. I make sure the front is exactly how I want it to look when dry, with a part on the side.

Then I tie a satin scarf tightly so it covers the front, sides and top of my hair. I remove the scrunchie in the back so I have loose, wet hair hanging and proceed to roll it up with purple or gray rollers, making about 8 sections.

BTW, I'm not rolling it up all the way to the scalp but I roll it up a little high. This works best for me since I'm airdrying overnight and I don't want the rollers to come off. Sylver2 has sections hanging just a little lower than mine and that works very well also since she uses the dryer. The rollers are towards the back when I'm finished rather than on the sides and it's so easy to sleep in them overnight to airdry. ;) I tie a nylon rollersetting hair net (like from Sally's) just over part of my scarf and over the rollers to keep them from moving, making sure they are not scrunched up--you don't want them to airdry that way.

When it has airdried, I untie the scarf and remove the rollers. The top, front and sides are very smooth, shiny and straight, almost like I used a flat iron. When several weeks post relaxer (13 weeks +) it still looks very, very good. :)

I remove the rollers, fluff out my hair with my fingers and I'm good to go. Very low maintenance. This part takes me 3 to 5 minutes or so, more if I feel the need to primp. :gorgeous: :lol:

The result is a very pretty rollerset with very loose curls (because of the roller sizes). It looks almost like I wrapped my hair but have curls.

Later that evening, I make about 8 pincurls and tie a satin scarf over it for bed. :)

ETA: I also use Macherieamour's rollersetting method as described in her DVD. Check out her website at www.healthytextures.com :up:

WOW!!! I thank you for breaking it down so well for me!!! I really appreciate it!!! I WILL be trying this in the near future.:grin:

I always air dry my flexi rod sets after moisturizing and sealing with serum. this is an ON airdry I just wrap them up in a satin scarf and then cover with a satin bonnet. I've never had a problem and my curls always come out looking sleek and bouncy. I do have to say though that as my new growth comes in the flexy sets become a little rougher at the roots...I simply "hide" the NG with a scarf...i.e. the curls are down and out during the day but I fold a cute silk scarf around the "bang section and it also disguises my kitchen...almost like a headband...:yawn:

Hi Isis,

If you don't roll all the way up to the scalp, how do you get the hair that is hanging out straight? I tried this method and the back of my hair came out a hot mess.
thanks!

I have air dried for apx 20 years (I got my first perm at 11 and my hairdresser taught me and my sis to rollerset instead of using direct heat). I never have problems with frizz as long as I pull the roller taut. :yep: I have noticed slightly better results since I recently began using a table top dryer (smoother and sleeker). I can say that air drying is very effective, but takes a long time (which you may or may not have). At my longest, my hair was below bra strap and took longer than overnight to airdry. :nono:

My hair is currently APL and can dry overnight without heat. As it grows longer, I will def have to begin using the dryer more regularly. :sad:

I do have to say though that as my new growth comes in the flexy sets become a little rougher at the roots...I simply "hide" the NG with a scarf...i.e. the curls are down and out during the day but I fold a cute silk scarf around the "bang section and it also disguises my kitchen...almost like a headband...:yawn:

I agree - am SO GLAD headbands and wraps are in! They are a stretchers best friend! :yep:

I agree - am SO GLAD headbands and wraps are in! They are a stretchers best friend! :yep:

shoot Ive been wearing wraps for years(long scarf folded and tied as a headband) ...I considered it my unique style before they became popular :lachen:.

So, with airdrying, the NG gets silky straight also??? If not, does anyone else have methods of straightening that doesn't involve the use of a flatiron?

The only way to really get the new growth straight in the front (besides wrapping) is to tie the hair down with a scarf once it is in a pony tail.

I have done a "dry" roller set where I tie my hair down in a pony tail and allow to air dry partially for about an hour or two. Then I proceed to rollerset by moistening the ends with H20. The rollerset does not come out as big as if I rollerset while my hair was wet and the roots are so flat. One word of advice, do not use too much product when drying your hair this way, the rollerset does not come out as bouncy.

Ok, I'm reading all this but it sounds to good to be true. I've never done a rollerset so I have a couple of questions.

1. Silky NG, uh what hair type are you ladies talking about because my ng has never been silky, soft but not silky.

2. So can this method work well if I want to wear my hair down?

3. If it does, then do I need to do anything special?

4. If it does, how big are the sections of hair?

5. If it does, do you just use some wrap lotion? how much wrap lotion?

I just read your updated "about me". Thanks for the tips

I am finding that air drying with conditioner washes hasn't been working as well as it did in the past. I think it's because my hair is thicker and longer.

I am going to buy some big purple rollers and try your method.

I finally found a leave in which leaves my hair so moisturized that I don't have to wash every day :yay:. I use Chi Silk Infusion and it's changing my whole regimen :)

Back