Ahem... I BC'd!!!!

Oh my!!!! That curl is gorgeous!!!! No way it's a 4 NJoy. That looks like a 3c but we won't know for sure until you chop the rest. But sheesh. I can't wait to see my curls. Hope they're as adorable as yours!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF :)

As of late I am getting confused between 3c and 4a..I have been thinking the front of my hair is 4a but maybe it's 3c which after looking at the hair chart, it just might be. I think your curl is 4a because it's a little tighter than mine...just do a BC already! hahaha

Oh my!!!! That curl is gorgeous!!!! No way it's a 4

I don't want to assume anything, but this comment gave me pause.:ohwell:

My hair is type 4 and my hair look like that. It's the size of the coil that determines the type, at least for Andre's arbitrary system. Type 4 coils can and do look just like that.

Type 4 hair, no product. Basically, a head full of coils just like the one in the OP.

IMG_2842.jpg

Oh my!!!! That curl is gorgeous!!!! No way it's a 4 NJoy. That looks like a 3c but we won't know for sure until you chop the rest. But sheesh. I can't wait to see my curls. Hope they're as adorable as yours!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF :)

kupenda, why do you say that? Haven't you seen a WNG on 4A hair?

Type 4 hair, no product. Basically, a head full of coils just like the one in the OP.

IMG_2842.jpg

Thank you!!! :notworthy: southernbella, are your strands coarse? Your hair looks so strong and healthy!

Njoy, I had to rub my eyes to make sure I had read the thread title correctly! That was brave of you to LC. The shrinkage, tangles, matting, and other things that come along with stretching/transitioning can make you want to grab the scissors.

If you are transitioning (or plan to), there's a mental shift that has to take place and acceptance that your natural/transitioning hair will not behave exactly like your relaxed/texlaxed hair. If you've been relaxed/texlaxed for a very long time, shrinkage can be a shocker and make you think you have no hair. My DD's hair really prepared me for shrinkage before I decided to transition. She is 3b/3c with tbl hair that shrinks up to just below her shoulders. It may take awhile for the hubby to catch on, but they usually come around. It may be easier to transition without BC'G if you have texlaxed and not bonelaxed ends.

I am terrible at hair typing, but your nape curl is pretty! I agree with choctaw that the nape texture may not match the rest of your head.

*catches breath* That was not funny, @NJoy, :nono: NOT

Awww Ma! You NEVER let me have any fun. *kicks rock* :grin:

Your title is false advertising lmao. Totally disappointed, but I kinda knew you would never really chop. Especially this early in your "transition". Are you really transitioning or are you just stretching and not sure what you're gonna do yet?

As far as your texture, I wouldn't base it off of your nape or around your ears. I'm 4a all over and 3b around my ears with 3c around my nape. So it can be very tricky trying to figure it out from there. Snip a little piece more towards the center of your head and that'll tell you the true texture.

Still trying to decide, girl. But everytime my hair is wet and these relaxed ends get all skiimpy looking, I feel like I have no choice but to go in the direction my hair is going. Seems like my relaxed ends are deserting me. And then I see the cutie pootie lil curl next to the stretched texlaxed hair and it just looks like it needs rescuing. In other words, I have no clue which way to go. But as always, I'm open to suggestions. :spinning:

:blush: Now you KNOW you've messed up when Janet' is whooping you. Sawwy. I won't do it again...today. :grin:

3c/4a. We're hair twins!

Yeeeee! Hey Twin!! :bighug:

Congrats on the chop!!! Your hair is really coming along nicely

*sniff* Thank yoooou! Finally some congrats for my lil bit of excitement. *sniff* You get me. *sniff* :bighug:

And thanks to everyone else for your responses. I'm still confused but, hey, I'm not alone. :lol: Love you ALL!!!

Njoy, I had to rub my eyes to make sure I had read the thread title correctly! That was brave of you to LC. The shrinkage, tangles, matting, and other things that come along with stretching/transitioning can make you want to grab the scissors.

If you are transitioning (or plan to), there's a mental shift that has to take place and acceptance that your natural/transitioning hair will not behave exactly like your relaxed/texlaxed hair. If you've been relaxed/texlaxed for a very long time, shrinkage can be a shocker and make you think you have no hair. My DD's hair really prepared me for shrinkage before I decided to transition. She is 3b/3c with tbl hair that shrinks up to just below her shoulders. It may take awhile for the hubby to catch on, but they usually come around. It may be easier to transition without BC'G if you have texlaxed and not bonelaxed ends.

I am terrible at hair typing, but your nape curl is pretty! I agree with @choctaw that the nape texture may not match the rest of your head.

Hersheygurl

Thank you so much for such a thoughtful response. Great advice. Thank you! :yep:

Aw lawd NJoy......you done caught it! It's gonna happen! Everybody brace yourselves!:lol:...You are gonna eventually end up BC'ing...i just know it....it happened to me!:lachen:

First...you cut that small piece...and then you notice the cute lil spiral.

Second....you end up LC'ing in random spots of your head.

Third...you end up chopping your super long hair to APL

Then...ya Big Chop!:lol:

And don't worry after you do...you will have fun watching your curls fully form and learning how to take care of your natural hair. You may look weird at first...but it will all come together after a while:yep:

As for shrinkage....i'm used to it now...i accept mine..even though i'm always curious to see how long my hair is when straightened...and its at APL...right AT APL....but it shrinks up to my ears sometimes:grin:....i just call it Secret Agent hair. It's cool to me:yep:

Whatever you do...you know we all have your back!:hug2:

Aw lawd @NJoy......you done caught it! It's gonna happen! Everybody brace yourselves!:lol:...You are gonna eventually end up BC'ing...i just know it....it happened to me!:lachen:

First...you cut that small piece...and then you notice the cute lil spiral.

Second....you end up LC'ing in random spots of your head.

Third...you end up chopping your super long hair to APL

Then...ya Big Chop!:lol:

And don't worry after you do...you will have fun watching your curls fully form and learning how to take care of your natural hair. You may look weird at first...but it will all come together after a while:yep:

As for shrinkage....i'm used to it now...i accept mine..even though i'm always curious to see how long my hair is when straightened...and its at APL...right AT APL....but it shrinks up to my ears sometimes:grin:....i just call it Secret Agent hair. It's cool to me:yep:

Whatever you do...you know we all have your back!:hug2:

SmilingElephant

:thud: Hello? I'm STILL not over the shock of you BC'g your hair. But, the sequence of events mentioned...does sound likely. :thud:

IMG_2842.jpg

Lawd if I had coils like this I would transition in a heartbeat. I always thought I had 4 a/b, but I have more of a zig zag than actual curls. :nono: I must have 4 zzz. Ahh well sorry for the hijack...

NJoy, I must commend you on transitioning for 33 wks!!! That is not easy. I do not think you will know your hair type unless you BC. You will most likely have more than one type. Consider this an early Christmas gift to yourself. Your Husband will love you regardless. :)

You will love the versatility, ease in detangling, experimentation with products, etc. You will not regret it. Hersheygurl made some good points also as well as others. Don't be afraid of shrinkage. ITA with SmilingElephant...you will eventually BC (whether it occurs in the middle of the night... IDK).lol Your hair is beautiful and you are too!!! Don't forget to share. We will be waiting and watching! :)

@NJoy, I must commend you on transitioning for 33 wks!!! That is not easy. I do not think you will know your hair type unless you BC. You will most likely have more than one type. Consider this an early Christmas gift to yourself. Your Husband will love you regardless. :)

You will love the versatility, ease in detangling, experimentation with products, etc. You will not regret it. Hersheygurl made some good points also as well as others. Don't be afraid of shrinkage. ITA with SmilingElephant...you will eventually BC (whether it occurs in the middle of the night... IDK).lol Your hair is beautiful and you are too!!! Don't forget to share. We will be waiting and watching! :)

Reeeaaally....? Hmm.... :lick:

Girl....let me tell you, dealing with 2 textures is no joke. Detangling is tons easier without those relaxed ends. I forgot to add less breakage.

@Garner is absolutely right. I know I transitioned for two years. One day I was in the mirror trying to detangle my hair, and both textures were driving me nuts.

Before I snapped I had the good sense to stretch my hair to see where I was:

picture.php

The stringy relaxed ends were getting on my last nerve:

picture.php

picture.php

Before I knew it, out of frustration I picked up a pair of scissors and started whacking and this is what I ended up with:

picture.php

picture.php

After I cut it, I was scared to death to straighten it out. I had no rhyme or reason, so I don't know what kind of cut I gave myself (layers). Shortly after I did that, I joined the HYH challenge, and when I revealed, I was back to BSL.

Cutting those relaxed ends were liberating for me. Detangling was so much easier.

Did I mention that my mother is a hair fanatic?:look: So I had no choice but to hide my hair until it grew back.:look:

I honestly have no regrets. If you decide to BC, make sure you do it when you're ready, and not before. You don't want to have any regrets.

Last edited:
Thanks, Nonie

I'm worried about my head and face being too round for a short look. What can I do until I can rock a big, juicy puff?

I am sure with 7 inches of hair that you can get a nice puff going. And your face doesn't look too round to me at all. Anyway, do what you're comfortable with :) Like Nonie said, shrinkage just adds to the versatility to me. I personally like my hair to shrink up sometimes, especially in the winter when the heat is bad and I don't like hair on my neck. Plus, all curly hair is going to have shrinkage. Your texture wouldn't be what it is without shrinkage :)

Back