After shampooing your hair do you...??? - Poll included

After rinsing out shampoo do you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I squeeze out the excess water then put on the conditioner. I don't use any towels on my hair except for when I go to the salon.

I would just add the conditioner right after rinsing. Maybe that's why I go through conditioner so fast. I'll start to blot dry my hair prior to adding the conditioner from now on to see how it goes.:)

So let me get this straight... it works better with less water? :ohwell:

I thought that the thing that a conditioner does is to help trap water into your hair... so my logic told me that maybe having less wet hair wouldn't be good. There would be less water to trap in. Does that make sense to anyone?

I put the conditioner in while it's a little drippy, not soaking, but very wet. I even wet my hair more if it dries out a little. Sometimes I don't even use a towel.

Porsche19 said:
So let me get this straight... it works better with less water? :ohwell:

I thought that the thing that a conditioner does is to help trap water into your hair... so my logic told me that maybe having less wet hair wouldn't be good. There would be less water to trap in. Does that make sense to anyone?

I put the conditioner in while it's a little drippy, not soaking, but very wet. I even wet my hair more if it dries out a little. Sometimes I don't even use a towel.
Yes, that makes sense to me in theory, but I can tell you how it works on my head in practice. Leaving my hair dripping wet, then adding the conditioner seems to dilute the conditioner. When the water drips out of my hair, the conditioner goes with it. I think that there is a misconception that squeezing out excess water = dry or nearly dry hair. My hands just aren't that strong...there is still sufficient water on my hair to be trapped and allow my hair to receive what I think are maximum benefits from the conditioner. Hope that makes sense...and helps :).

After shampooing/co washing, I squeeze out the excess water, then towel dry, then add the conditioner. I was always thought that conditioner takes better to hair that is not toooo wet or else the water & co will drip right off.

@PhonyBaloney500 - I used to squeeze water out when I first started my haircare journey but I didn't believe that it was important so I stopped. Plus since I wash & condition my hair everyday I just got lazy with that extra step. Now I know why the conditioners that used to work so well like LUST & Humecto don't seem to do anything to my hair anymore. The thicker conditioners that I have been using have been working but I'm sure if I squeeze or lightly towel-dry my hair they will work even better and I won't have to use so much conditioner.

@Ar010 - I don't know why I have put two and two together. I am happy that I talked to him about it because I would have continued to use up conditioner but not get the full benefits of it. Now I'll have to "re-try" all of the other conditioners that I loved so much. I have a microfiber towel and will just place that over my hair for a couple of minutes before I add the conditioner.

@cutebajangirl - I do remember getting wonderful results with LUST and Humecto (even without heat) but I recently used both and was like :confused: because I didn't get anywhere near the slip that I had gotten before - and I haven't changed anything else since. Now I will re-try those and I'm sure the results will be excellent. Hey maybe squeezing the excess water out (or gently towel drying) will help me not continue to look for that "perfect product" since it's already under my nose :lol: .

@Porsche19 - I didn't understand his logic either until he started breaking it down by explaining it scientifically - something about the conditioner not being able to penetrate the cortex (or something like that). Anyway it made total sense to me as that is why all these wonderful conditioners seem to have stopped working.

@dressmold - I go through so much conditioner and by not squeezing the water has been doing exactly that - diluting the conditioner. That's why I go through so much of it.

@Allandra - I'm suprised that you haven't noticed a difference; or is it because you have never squeeze or towel-dried the excess water?

i spritz my conditioner on. i put some in a bottle and add just enough water to make it come out and then spritz it on liberally to damp hair. THEN after I do that I add on more conditioner to the ends.

I've put conditioner on wet hair and hair that's been squeezed out...don't see much difference in the results.

DangerouslyShy said:
yea i gentaly squeeze the excess water out of my hair...than glob on some conditioner and put a plastic cap on my head and wrap a towel around it for a while...and than rinse...
That is exactly what i do.

I always do a gentle towel-dry before I add conditioner. I've been doing this for years. My conditioners seems to work much better for me using this method.

I just read some place that should always blot your hair w/a towel before adding conditioner and esp before using a protein treatment or reconstructor. As other as have mentioned it supposed to help the product absorb. But I never do, I'm paranoid about roughing up my cuticles. So I ring my hair gently. It ain't broke, so I'm not fixin' it. ;)

When I use the towel, I don't rough up my hair. I just lay it on my head and gently blot, kind of like if you are trying to soak up a spill on a carpeted floor.

Re: After shampooing your hair do you...???

i agree with you LiLi. I heard you have to towel dry your hair and then apply the conditioner. I can't remember the reason why though. I read it somewhere and it was sa valid reason.

DangerouslyShy said:
yea i gentaly squeeze the excess water out of my hair...than glob on some conditioner and put a plastic cap on my head and wrap a towel around it for a while...and than rinse...

me too...i never towel dry because it leaves lint.

I just put it on my soaking wet hair... I didn't even until now that know there was another way you were supposed to do it...!

mkstar826 said:
me too...i never towel dry because it leaves lint.

Try using an older towel. It seems to be the new ones that leave fluff everywhere. Or tumble dry the new ones a few times - seems to get rid of most of the lint.

Last edited:
This is interesting to me because I have been applying conditioner right smack on the top of wet hair. I have been using some really good products and have not found anything to rave about. Maybe this is why . . . Can't wait to get home and wash/cond!!!

Try using an older towel. It seems to be the new ones that leave fluff everywhere. Or tumble dry the new ones a few times - seems to get rid of most of the lint.

girl these towels are old and they still leave lint in my hair. i don't know what it is by my hair loves lint :lachen: that's what i stick to just squeezing it out. sometimes i use an old t-shirt (press it on my hair) when i need to hurry up and get the excess water out. works great.

I use an old tee-shirt or towel to squeeze the excess water out of my hair, but before I put in conditioner, I completely air-dry.

Back