After a Protein OVERLOAD...

DivineNapps1728

What styles are suitable until tresses are back to normal ??

I recently over did it with a protein treatment; I know I need to deep condition like crazy, but what styles can I wear without inflicting damage until my hair is balanced again?

I'm considering attempting a flexi-rod set, but I'm not sure if the indirect heat would be too much.

I could do a set of twists, but would all the manipulation from detangling & parting, etc, be too harsh?

I dare not install extensions because the tension would lead to disaster.

Any suggestions ???
TIA !

I think the conditioner used should allow the hair to get back balanced. Maybe try a different moisturizing conditioner.

Also the only thing I would suggest for now is bunning it eveything else will have your hair snapping like dead twigs.

I think the conditioner used should allow the hair to get back balanced. Maybe try a different moisturizing conditioner.

Also the only thing I would suggest for now is bunning it eveything else will have your hair snapping like dead twigs.

This is what I'm afraid of, but I did the treatment because I didn't want to incur damage from all the bunning I'd been doing. :perplexed

I am sure it was not the actually bunning that you think would cause damage, you probably thought it would be from all the moisture.

You might need such a strong protein next time. which one did you use?

Hey girl *waves* From my experience, time is the only cure from PO. Personally, while I was waiting for the side effects to wear off, I wore my hair in twists for 1-3 weeks at a time until my hair was back to normal. I probably wouldn't fool with heat because heat can be drying to your hair and you don't want to make your hair anymore drier than it probably is right now (I don't know if your hair is really dry now, but mine was when I had PO).

Sorry about your problems but I wish you the best :)

When I PO (not with a strong treatment, I don't use those), I DC my hair, stick it in a set of twists (honestly, I take the L with the detangling session), and moisturize it daily with a strong cream moisturizer for a few days, squishing the product into my twists gently, then wear a twist out for a day and DC again. My hair is too short to bun though...so if you can bun it might be your best bet.

EllePixie

What protein do you use?
What cream moisturizer?

Thanks,
MJ2009

I use a lot of different proteins - I have to remember what products I have been using b/c if I use protein in my conditioner, Leave-in, and styling product continuously, my hair gets very mad at me (especially if keratin is involved).

I use moisturizers that are void of any protein, even silk, which my hair usually likes - last time this happened I can't remember what I used to DC (probably Curl Rehab) or twist with, but I moisturized with DM Super Buttercreme.

I am sure it was not the actually bunning that you think would cause damage, you probably thought it would be from all the moisture.

You might need such a strong protein next time. which one did you use?

I used the silk elements intensive conditioning mayonnaise; I'd bee bunning for about two weeks straight & was worried that all the tension would damage my edges and/or ends.

Hey girl *waves* From my experience, time is the only cure from PO. Personally, while I was waiting for the side effects to wear off, I wore my hair in twists for 1-3 weeks at a time until my hair was back to normal. I probably wouldn't fool with heat because heat can be drying to your hair and you don't want to make your hair anymore drier than it probably is right now (I don't know if your hair is really dry now, but mine was when I had PO).

Sorry about your problems but I wish you the best :)

Hi hun !! It's dry, not like Sahara type dry, but not adequately moisturized. The stiffness is what's bugging me the most though. I was planning on putting in a set of twists before this fiasco, so I guess I'll stick with that. Thanks !!

P.S. Your hair is look lush & beautiful as usual !!

When I PO (not with a strong treatment, I don't use those), I DC my hair, stick it in a set of twists (honestly, I take the L with the detangling session), and moisturize it daily with a strong cream moisturizer for a few days, squishing the product into my twists gently, then wear a twist out for a day and DC again. My hair is too short to bun though...so if you can bun it might be your best bet.

I love the moisturizing while in twists idea; I think I'll try that, just gotta be extra careful that my hair doesn't unravel in the process.

Back