affordable flat iron recommendations

preciousstone

I am looking for a good flat iron but I don't want to spend a bunch of money. I want to use it to smooth out new growth. I'm relaxed 4b.

Well I would recommend anything ceramic, and with specific temperature controls. Try to stay away from the cheap ones that say "high med low". You also want to invest in a heat protectant. Ebay has some cheap ones with good quality.

I just bought a Sallys GVP they were on sale this weekend 59.99, its better than my walmart one but I dont know how it compares to the more pricey ones. Sally's has a sixty day return policy so you could try it out.

I started out with a Jilbere flat iron (purchased from Sally BSS). They're pretty reasonable and work well.

I was in a BSS looking to buy a Chi and they suggested I try an offbrand product called Tyche. It's ceramic + tourmaline w/ 1.75" plates. It wasn't more than $50 but I can't remember the exact price. It works pretty well. I couldn't believe the guy suggested sold me a cheaper product so I took a chance and I'm glad I did. I'm in the market for a 1" but haven't decided on brand yet.

There was a thread about the Vidal Sassoon Answers flat iron being comparable to the Sedu. I just about it this weekend to use on my friend's 4b hair.

All you need to look for is an iron with a ceramic heater. Some brands have that information listed on their web pages or on the packaging. I will cosign allandra on the jilbere. That was the first real flat iron I bought and was very happy with it.

There was a thread about the Vidal Sassoon Answers flat iron being comparable to the Sedu. I just about it this weekend to use on my friend's 4b hair.

Co-signing. I purchased this iron (the one for coarse and the one for normal hair) and It does work better than any other iron I have used so far. (GVP, CHI, FHI and Andis) The plates are smooth and solid ceramic, and the heater is ceramic on the coarse hair one. I really like this iron and you can't beat the price ($25)

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...00000003260370&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=9219372

All you need to look for is an iron with a ceramic heater. Some brands have that information listed on their web pages or on the packaging. I will cosign allandra on the jilbere. That was the first real flat iron I bought and was very happy with it.

The Jilbere was good, it kept snagging me though, so I gave to a relative..

I have the Conair Infiniti Nano Silver Straightener, which I'm so-so about, but it does have the ceramic heater you speak of.

I always use my tiny ergonomic Conair -

Hair straightener with 3/4-inch ceramic plates for even heating
Instant 60-second heating time complemented by 25 heat settings
Uniform heat recovery system for consistent styling results
Stay-cool exterior surface; auto shut-off
6-foot tangle-free swivel cord

and I lubs it.... but I want to try something else...

especially with going over to the 'dark side' for the 'wet' flat ironing...:look:

I always use my tiny ergonomic Conair -

Hair straightener with 3/4-inch ceramic plates for even heating
Instant 60-second heating time complemented by 25 heat settings
Uniform heat recovery system for consistent styling results
Stay-cool exterior surface; auto shut-off
6-foot tangle-free swivel cord

and I lubs it.... but I want to try something else...

especially with going over to the 'dark side' for the 'wet' flat ironing...:look:

I have this little thing too! Works pretty good IMO. My friend has 4bz hair and it got super straight with it. I was shocked and immediately purchased it!

Co-signing. I purchased this iron (the one for coarse and the one for normal hair) and It does work better than any other iron I have used so far. (GVP, CHI, FHI and Andis) The plates are smooth and solid ceramic, and the heater is ceramic on the coarse hair one. I really like this iron and you can't beat the price ($25)

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...00000003260370&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=9219372

Whoa! You liked this one better than the FHI? I was seriously thinking about getting one in the distant future. Which one did you like better, the fine one or the coarse one?

Cosigning on the GVP. I got mine when I had a coupon and Sally's had a sale. It was about 42.00 including shipping. I LOVE IT!!!! My hair is 4b I think and I stretch relaxers for about 3-4 months and this thing is the BUSINESS!

I have this little thing too! Works pretty good IMO. My friend has 4bz hair and it got super straight with it. I was shocked and immediately purchased it!

Isn't it wonderful though!? :yep:

I've had mine for about two years, so I may be due to upgrade this one too...sucka won't even dial up to 25 no mo...won't let me pass 15..:ohwell:..

but it still heats up great...:yep:

Cosigning on the GVP. I got mine when I had a coupon and Sally's had a sale. It was about 42.00 including shipping. I LOVE IT!!!! My hair is 4b I think and I stretch relaxers for about 3-4 months and this thing is the BUSINESS!

GVP is da bomb! I also own the Answers Coarse one, and am using it until I get my GVP repaired. (Save the box and receipt as it has a 1 yr warranty-- w/o receipt, the warranty is valid 1 yr from the manufacture date printed on the iron.)

While the Answers iron is less expensive, IMO the GVP gives me better results.HTH.:rolleyes:

Back