Affirm sensitive scalp relaxer

sithembile

After all my complaining about how Affirm relaxers don't straighten my hair, my stylist (who is white) used this relaxer on me yesterday. My hair came out straight but not limp or dry. My scalp didn't tingle either. I was happy until I realised this is a no lye relaxer, I've always been a no lye girl. I don't know whether to stick with this or to try something else. I don't want my hair to break or become dry, which seems to be the popular opinion on no lye relaxers. Does anyone use this, and what did you think?
TIA

I've been using this relaxer for about five years and I've never had a problem with dryness and my hair is past brastrap. I think as long as you keep your hair well conditoned and moisturized you should be fine.

I think my stylist uses this, too. I thought no-lye would make my hair hard and dry, but it is really a good relaxer. My hair is doing well.

I also use this. I went to a different stylist and said Affirm, well it wasn't until she was halfway through and I wasn't burning I asked what it was, and was told no lye. I loved the results, but got nervous because of all the negative hype about no lye and switched back my next relaxer to Affirm lye, and hated it. I've since switched back to no lye and love it. I'm one of the lucky ones that didn't experience damage from switching, but I wouldn't recommend it. I'm sticking to no lye from now on, it definetly works better for my hair and scalp.

[ QUOTE ]
sithembile said:
After all my complaining about how Affirm relaxers don't straighten my hair, my stylist (who is white) used this relaxer on me yesterday. My hair came out straight but not limp or dry. My scalp didn't tingle either. I was happy until I realised this is a no lye relaxer, I've always been a no lye girl. I don't know whether to stick with this or to try something else. I don't want my hair to break or become dry, which seems to be the popular opinion on no lye relaxers. Does anyone use this, and what did you think?
TIA

[/ QUOTE ]

i've used no-lye relaxers all my life, i have no problems with them... for the past year, i've been using this relaxer and my hair loves it. no breakage, no dryness... nada.

Is there anything I should do since I've made the switch from lye to no lye? Should I add or avoid doing something or using certain types of products?

Back