Affirm Fiberguard Mild - a texturizer or relaxer?

PrincessM

I have 4a hair and I ordered fiberguard mild not too long ago. Now I'm worried that the fiberguard formula may be too mild
frown.gif
, what are you're experiences with it?

I am 4a/4b coarse texture and have the Affirm Fiberguard in normal. It is not very strong, I find I have to keep it on 5-10 minutes more then usual to be effective. I was going to order the resistant but changed my mind because I thought that it would be too strong. I think that I will stick with the normal because my hair does seem stronger and healthier.

I have 4a/4b hair. When I was initialy texturized my stylist used Affirm mild w/ fiberguard. She straightened the roots by smoothing (very straight and shiny). The rest was just a frizzy mess.

Re: Affirm Fiberguard Mild - a texturizer or relax

Well, I recently ordered the Fiberguard in mild as well, but won't have my stylist apply it until January 3. Actually, I initially ordered it in normal, but changed my mind thinking that the mild would do the least amount of damage, especially if my stylist were not to follow instructions precisely (as far as timing and overlapping go; by the way, to reduce any damage caused by overlapping I also ordered the Preservo Chemical Block). I received the relaxer today and read the instructions. According to the chart on the tub, mild is intended for fine and color-treated hair. My hair is neither. I think the desired straightness (I do not want bone straight) can be achieved, however, by smoothing and keeping the relaxer on 5 extra minutes. The instructions state to keep it on a total of 13 minutes (application and smoothing). I just know that my stylist won't be able to work that quickly, so I'm counting on it being on my head for about 18 minutes (the amount of time the resistant formula should be left on). This relaxer is intended to preserve some of the hair's tensile strength and elasticity. I imagine it does so by not straightening it to within an inch of its life. Who knows? Well, I will in 3 more weeks I will.

[ QUOTE ]
sithembile said:
Is fibreguard lye or no lye?

[/ QUOTE ]

They have it in both formulas. I thought it was a relaxer and not a texturizer

Yes I know it says relaxer, but I've read that it's so mild that it's used as a texturizer... I ask because I don't want that. But I DO have fine hair, so maybe it will straighten.

I am also thinking about changing fiberguard from mild to normal but I really don't want to because I really want my hair to be thick again. My hair is not thin, thank God but we all have been relaxing our hair for so many years now and it does lose it's strength and quality sometimes. SO I am think that the fiberguard mild will leave my hair a little textured so I can body. And if I want it straight I will just use a flat iron...

I have the Affirm Fiber Guard regular. I'm not sure if I like it now. I may see if they have a sensitive scalp no lye relaxer or go back to what I was using. I'm still not sure yet.

Ballet Bun
driver.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ballet_bun said:
I have the Affirm Fiber Guard regular. I'm not sure if I like it now. I may see if they have a sensitive scalp no lye relaxer or go back to what I was using. I'm still not sure yet.

Ballet Bun
driver.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I plan to get the Affirm Lye Mild in two weeks. What in particular is it about the Lye Regular formula which you find unsatisfactory?

I would say that it is a texturizer as I used affirm fiberguard and sensitive scalp for a year and my hair is texturized even when I leave it on for the longest time so i would say its a texturizer

This is the relaxer I use. It is a lye-based relaxer, but something in the formulation makes it not relax too bone straight. I've also found that it does not burn like some others. I LOVE the way my hair comes out with this because I like my hair thick and bushy. My avatar picture is after a flat-ron. I usually only do this for a length check.

I LOVE AFFIRM.

I use the sensitive scalp no-lye version of the fiberguard system and I'm starting to wonder the same thing. My hair never gets bone straight. I've been using normal strength, but next relaxer I'll be bumping it up to resistant. I'll let you know what happens.

I have been relaxing with Affirm Fiberguard normal for a couple of years. The last time I had a relaxer it straightened my roots bone straight when previously my hair would retain some texture even after leaving it on for a longer time. I'm not sure if the formula has changed? I don't think that my hair has changed texture. Or perhaps it could be that the salon I went to used a completely different relaxer to what I asked for?

I order mine from Amazon as well. I initially bought the Affirm Fiberguard in Mild because I wanted a texturized look and had read online that this was the product used at Miss Jessie's salon for their "silkener" process. However, I later wanted a straighter, textlaxed look. I decided to still use the Mild to prevent overprocessing my hair and burning my scalp. It works really well for this purpose too; I just smooth many more times - 11 strokes per section, to be exact - and leave the relaxer on for 35 minutes (much longer than directed, but this works for my hair).

Back