Affirm Fiberguard (lye)

Kitkat

Has anyone here, particularly 4a/b ladies, used Fiberguard lye? How did it work for you? Any NYC ladies have suggestions as to where I can buy this? Anyone purchase the relaxer on line, and if so what site did you purchase it from? Thanks in advance for any suggestions or reviews.:D

Thanks, Meka. I see that irby's sells it but didn't want to purchase it from there unless someone else had bought successfully from that site. I've tried calling them but only get an answering machine, so I wanted to make sure they weren't some fly-by-night place. Meka, did they ship fairly quickly and did you have a good experience with them?

Last edited:
I was using the regular with lye but I have been using the Fiberguard with lye for a couple of years and I love it. Please make sure you follow the steps in order. After you rinse the relaxer than you should apply the conditioner and then poo.

I have used it! I nor my stylist liked it! It was like my hair had not been touched with a relaxer! It was more like a texturizer! I was looking for a straigh look!

I have used it too in the past- the regular strength- but it didn't get my hair straight. I applied it to natural hair though, and don't think I smoothed it enough either. I was just soo stressed about leaving it on the recommended time that I didn't take enough time to smooth. I actually liked the results cause I still had curls left and my strength. My hair was sooooo thick still and , it was really soft. BUT, for some reason my hair shedded a lot. BUT I don't know if it was due to it being the first relaxer on natural hair or the chemical itself or the fact that I wore braids and tried to stretch out the time between relaxers. I can tell you that I have since noticed that my hair naturally sheds around 6 weeks though and that I wore the individual braids from week 8 through week 13 and then relaxed at 15 weeks post this relaxer. I am now on my 3rd different relaxer. I'm still trying to figure out which one to use. I stopped using this one cause I started to use a lot of protein on my hair thinking that my hair needed protein like I had heard on this site being stated and my hair reverted. It didn't look as straight as it did initially. Also, initially I did want straighter hair than I got after using this and cause it didn't straighten enough and I still had curls, I continued to get knots on the ends of my hair just like I would get with my natural hair which was one of the reasons I decided to not be natural any more. I have also read somewhere @ this site that others who have used the fiberguard complained of the shedding too. My last relaxer was with the regular affirm- normal strength and it burned the crap out of my scalp!! and I used their base and based my entire scalp. This relaxer did not burn my scalp nor did it get my hair any less straight then when I used the regular affirm. They seemed to straighten my hair about the same. BUT I have also realized in the past that I was using heat to curl and straighten my hair and prior to my relaxers I know I would curl my hair in order to make myself more presentable to go to the salon to get my hair done. Meaning...my hair was kind of straight already so they probably didn't need to smooth that much. Which could be my problem. Since returning to chemicals, I don't use heat. I used heat 3 times since returning to chemicals in september last year. So maybe if I had straighter hair prior to relaxing my hair then it would come out straighter cause I wouldn't need to smooth that much either.... Sorry, I got carried away with talking about myself. Anyway, what do you think of my situation??? Let's help each other. Any other ladies please chime in!!

DMarie

I currently use affirm fiberquard. I have thick 4b hair and its the only relaxer I use. My hair has so much body and it feel softer than other relaxers. I dont use regular affirm, its not the same as fiberguard.

DMarie said:
I have used it too in the past- the regular strength- but it didn't get my hair straight. I applied it to natural hair though, and don't think I smoothed it enough either. I was just soo stressed about leaving it on the recommended time that I didn't take enough time to smooth. I actually liked the results cause I still had curls left and my strength. My hair was sooooo thick still and , it was really soft. BUT, for some reason my hair shedded a lot. BUT I don't know if it was due to it being the first relaxer on natural hair or the chemical itself or the fact that I wore braids and tried to stretch out the time between relaxers. I can tell you that I have since noticed that my hair naturally sheds around 6 weeks though and that I wore the individual braids from week 8 through week 13 and then relaxed at 15 weeks post this relaxer. I am now on my 3rd different relaxer. I'm still trying to figure out which one to use. I stopped using this one cause I started to use a lot of protein on my hair thinking that my hair needed protein like I had heard on this site being stated and my hair reverted. It didn't look as straight as it did initially. Also, initially I did want straighter hair than I got after using this and cause it didn't straighten enough and I still had curls, I continued to get knots on the ends of my hair just like I would get with my natural hair which was one of the reasons I decided to not be natural any more. I have also read somewhere @ this site that others who have used the fiberguard complained of the shedding too. My last relaxer was with the regular affirm- normal strength and it burned the crap out of my scalp!! and I used their base and based my entire scalp. This relaxer did not burn my scalp nor did it get my hair any less straight then when I used the regular affirm. They seemed to straighten my hair about the same. BUT I have also realized in the past that I was using heat to curl and straighten my hair and prior to my relaxers I know I would curl my hair in order to make myself more presentable to go to the salon to get my hair done. Meaning...my hair was kind of straight already so they probably didn't need to smooth that much. Which could be my problem. Since returning to chemicals, I don't use heat. I used heat 3 times since returning to chemicals in september last year. So maybe if I had straighter hair prior to relaxing my hair then it would come out straighter cause I wouldn't need to smooth that much either.... Sorry, I got carried away with talking about myself. Anyway, what do you think of my situation??? Let's help each other. Any other ladies please chime in!!

DMarie

A stylist used fiberguard in my hair once and yes, it looked fabulous. Then within one week my hair was shedding all over the place. She never used it again. Never going back to this one at all.

I used Fiberguard for about 8 months and noticed that my hair thinned out alot. It was not shedding noticably but definitely got thinner over time. I also noticed that the stylist who used it on me used it on all of her clients and they all have extremely thin hair. I thought her hair was just very fine while mine was coarse but in retrospect, I think it can be a very damaging relaxer but it sounds like a couple of the ladies here have had good results, so maybe you will too.

Thanks for the replies, ladies. Affirm mild has worked well for me for years, but I wanted to try Fiberguard since it's supposed to be so much better. Hmmm, don't know what to do now - maybe I shouldn't try to fix what ain't broke?:lol:

Kitkat said:
Thanks for the replies, ladies. Affirm mild has worked well for me for years, but I wanted to try Fiberguard since it's supposed to be so much better. Hmmm, don't know what to do now - maybe I shouldn't try to fix what ain't broke?:lol:

I might be trying the affirm mild as well, eventhough I have thick hair. This way my scalp won't burn so much. And you are right, if it's working for you don't bother it. I made this mistake and I can definately tell the difference in some of my hair. It's just a shame that the most healthy ways of caring for our hair sometimes tend to be something that doesn't work out for the best overall. I tried not using the chemicals and I've tried fiberguard and was unsuccessfull.

DMarie

Back