Affirm Anyone?

Hi Ladies,

We may have had a post on this topic before but I can't find it. I would like to know how many of you use Affirm relaxer and how can you compare it to other relaxers? I would like to switch to Affirm but would like to get some feedback first.

Alot of ladies on here like it, but I hate it. I was so sad and dissappointed because before I got my hair relxed with this I had read so much info on this relaxer and I thought it was liquid gold. It burned so bad. I had never bad chemical burns like this before and it made my hair so dry. 96% of women have great success with this relaxer but I was one of the few who didn't although I wanted to so much.

I’ve been using Affirm for years, and it does an excellent job. I’ve never gotten chemical burns. I rarely even get a tingle. When I relax with Affirm, my hair still feels strong (unlike some other relaxers I’d tried), I don’t get a lot of breakage, and my hair is left with some body. I’m a 4B, by the way. But, like Adrian stated, not everyone is going to get the same results, especially if it is applied incorrectly, and this is true of most relaxers. I have my stylist apply it because she uses a wonderful technique.

I have to agree with Adrian, i didnt like it either. I used to have my stylist apply the No-Lye formula and it broke off my edges. I kept wondering why i had 'baby hair' around my edges but realized it was the relaxer. It took a few months to show itself but the calcium build-up was the problem. I switched to Phyto and havent looked back since.

I'm a bit scared now. I ordered the Fiberguard relaxer online and now I am thinking twice. Can I hear from others that have had great success.

Adrian said:
Alot of ladies on here like it, but I hate it. I was so sad and dissappointed because before I got my hair relxed with this I had read so much info on this relaxer and I thought it was liquid gold. It burned so bad. I had never bad chemical burns like this before and it made my hair so dry. 96% of women have great success with this relaxer but I was one of the few who didn't although I wanted to so much.

Adrian: You're not the only one girl!

I tried Affirm relaxers a few years back, and while it made my hair LOOK nice and silky, I noticed my hair was thinning a little. So...a few years later I tried Design Essentials Mild with SHea butter, and this relaxer was so gentle! Plus, my hair was thickening up. :D But then I changed stylists and she swore by affirm, so I decided to try affirm MILD this time just in case. Well...even after 3 applications I STILL don't like this relaxer even in the mild formula. :( At first it was good, but then my hair started thinning out again. :nono: Even the MILD formula was too strong for me! :eek: My scalp burned and itched.

My hair is naturally fine in texture, so I need a gentler relaxing system. I'll be switching back to Design Essentials mild with shea butter because this relaxer is a lot gentler, and I never burned or itched with this relaxer. :yep:

Lovemyhair: Don't let the comments discourage you though, because there are quite a few women on this board who swear by affirm. Everyone's hair/scalp is different. It's supposed to be a good quality relaxer. If you do a search on "affirm" in the boards, you will find a LOT of topics dedicated to Affirm. This might give you more of a variety of opinions. :up:

For me it is just the relaxer because the stylist that applied it is a good beautician, but she starting working at a new salon and they used Affirm only. Up until then I had no problems with relaxers or this particular girl. But she became a mom and developed problems with her wrist and what not from using all those styling tools so she changed professions. So I am searching once again.

Last edited:
It depends on whose applying it as well. My last hairdresser used Mild and made sure to smooth my new growth completely. She took her time so my hair came out straight, yet with body. When she left I started going to the other hairdresser there. Well, she didn't leave it in as long so my hair was reverting back too fast. Tried Regular, same thing. I realized that it was her technique that was messing up may hair. :perplexed

I must say that I was using Affrim for almost 6 years. I was in LOVE with it. It straightened my hair and gave it body. Then my sylist (my great aunt) strated havign really bad arthiritis and couldnt do my hair. I switched to another lady and she used Affirm as well.... As a result of my experience with her Im now transitioing. As you can tell sometimes it IS the stylist. Make sure you get one who does them well. I nevre had burns with Affirm until I switched stylists. My hair was so underprocessed when I switched stylists :nono: Also make suer they use the COMPLETE system. The reconstructor, the shampoo the EVERYTHING. I stood by Affirm and would never switch relaxer. Tahts why I chose to transition. It woudl take forever to find a good stylist and I wanst willignto switch relaxers so.... There's my $0.83 :)

I loves me some Affirm... Before I use to use Profectiv religiously with no breakage. Now, that I have been going to my Dominican Salon she only uses Affirm and baby lets just say "what took me soooo long" It is the bomb. My hair is a 4a, and never really got straight and hair would never be bone straight until I tried Affirm. My last relaxer was 5 weeks ago and my hair is stilll straight and full of body and needless to say i was 18 weeks post relaxer. Affirm gets the job done with no burns... " Get it girl":)

I give it 2 thumbs up

Back