affects of amino acids on kidneys

• Thread starter Thread starter legs71
  • Start date Start date
L

legs71

I've been concerned lately about the long term affects of taking amino acids on my kidneys. I've been taking them for a little over a month now and my hair is growing beyond belief. Yes, I want long hair, but I do not want to jeopardize my kidney's from functioning properly eventually. Do you think it would help to take breaks from the aminos or maybe even possibly take something to help flush my kidneys?

I know that this doesn't answer your question, but what amino acids are you taking (brand)? And how much growth are you getting per month?

I'm going to do some research on your question. If I find out anything regarding long-term effects, I'll let you know.

Do you have a break from your amino acids, also if you take a tall glass of water, squeeze up to half a lemon and drink, you will find, that you keep going to the toilet a lot, because the lemon flushes out your system. I do understand your concerns. I take my amino acids in the Step2 of Hair Formula 37. If you take Spirulina (blue-green algae), Wheat grass and Royal Jelly, they are rich in amino acids. /images/graemlins/blush.gifoo:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Valerie said:
Do you have a break from your amino acids, also if you take a tall glass of water, squeeze up to half a lemon and drink, you will find, that you keep going to the toilet a lot, because the lemon flushes out your system. I do understand your concerns. I take my amino acids in the Step2 of Hair Formula 37. If you take Spirulina (blue-green algae), Wheat grass and Royal Jelly, they are rich in amino acids. /images/graemlins/blush.gifoo:

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to know that Spirulina has a lot of amino acids! I recently bought the Vitamin Shoppe brand's Spiru-Soy powder. I'm not crazy about the taste, but I guess for my hair's (and health) sake, I'll get it down. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Blkmane,

I take Puritans Pride Amino 1500. It's hard for me to determine how much growth I'm getting a month only because my hair is natural with extensions. I take out a braid or 2 every couple of weeks and it is noticeable my hair has grown. Also, I tighten my own braids myself and I rebraid them one week and a week and a half later I can see growth. Any information you can find out would be greatly appreciated.

Valerie,
Today I purchased some herbal kidney flush pills from the Vitamin Shoppe. I'm undecided on whether I should take them. I think the fresh lemon and water is safer. Thanks a bunch!

I *believe* that with Amino Acids, if you take them, you are right, and that you are supposed to take them on an "on again-off again" schedule.

Unfortunately I do not remember how long on, and how long off. Hopefully when this is bumped, someone who knows the routine can shed some light on that.

Legs,

Based on what you are taking, I don't think that you should be overly concerned. You also do not indicate that you have any problems with your kidneys generally. If that were the case, I would say steer clear of the amino complex unless under a doctor's care.

The on-off scheme is really when you are taking a single amino. Generally, with that, you should not take a single amino acid for more than say 3 months straight and that's the upper limit. What you do is say 1-2 months on the single, then 1-2 on a complex. Then, often what people do is to take a break from the aminos totally for a while.

Hope this helps....

Cheers,

Jade

I'm glad I stumbled onto this old post, because I had a few questions about the effects of amino acids;

I started taking Robin the hair lady's amino acids and I got over an inch of growth for about three months.:grin:
Then I started taking another brand ( cause it was ALOT cheaper)and the growth kept on coming in!:grin: :grin:
Then next thing you know I'm getting breakouts and constipation:confused:

So I've stoppe taking amino acids...
When I try to start taking them again (because the growth that I get is really fast when I take them) I just get breakouts and a funny feeling in my tummy:confused:

I've read that Amino acids also prevent cancer and have a wide rage of benefits apart from hair stuff.

I've tried googling this, but is there anyone who's had similar problems from taking aminos and what have you taken instead of an amino complex?

Thanks in advance

I have done some research on amino acids and it has been stated that you should drink lots of water and incorporate a certain amount of Vitamin C in your regular diet. HTH
Summa Bliss said:
I'm glad I stumbled onto this old post, because I had a few questions about the effects of amino acids;

I started taking Robin the hair lady's amino acids and I got over an inch of growth for about three months.:grin:
Then I started taking another brand ( cause it was ALOT cheaper)and the growth kept on coming in!:grin: :grin:
Then next thing you know I'm getting breakouts and constipation:confused:

So I've stoppe taking amino acids...
When I try to start taking them again (because the growth that I get is really fast when I take them) I just get breakouts and a funny feeling in my tummy:confused:

I've read that Amino acids also prevent cancer and have a wide rage of benefits apart from hair stuff.

I've tried googling this, but is there anyone who's had similar problems from taking aminos and what have you taken instead of an amino complex?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
czyfaith77 said:
Ihave done some research on amino acids and has been stated taht you should drink lots of water and incorporate a certain amount of Vitamin C in your regular diet. HTH

Thanks for that info.

czyfaith77 said:
No prob. Anytime. I plan on incorporating amino acids into my vitamin regimen in a couple of weeks. I found one at GNC.

I've been using liquid aminos as recommended by Eddie. They seem to be working but they are very pricey. I can only afford the small bottle.

shawniegee said:
I've been using liquid aminos as recommended by Eddie. They seem to be working but they are very pricey. I can only afford the small bottle.
Who is Eddie and have you taken any other form of amino acids. The one that I am considering is in a tablet form like the ones on the Crown and Glory site but they are not as expensive. I want to say they were between 10 and 15 dollars sorry I can't remember but they weren't higher than that. As I stated before I found these at GNC.

czyfaith77 said:
Who is Eddie and have you taken any other form of amino acids. The one that I am considering is in a tablet form like the ones on the Crown and Glory site but they are not as expensive. I want to say they were between 10 and 15 dollars sorry I can't remember but they weren't higher than that. As I stated before I found these at GNC.

Eddie is a lhcf with waistlength hair. She said she was getting 2 inches of new growth a month but if I recall correctly her diet was organic as well.
Here a link to what I'm talkin' about http://www.cocoonnutrition.org/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/56/products_id/2793.

XXXtacy said:
Eddie's amino acid was the Max Stress B Nano-Plex? I am a little slow on these things.

yep amino's are supposed to have a calm the nervous system, so that's why they are called that but she said they increased her hair growth as well.

The only way I could see someone having major problems is if they already consume more than enough protein. If you are only consuming 40-50 grams of protein daily, the extra aminos as long as they are balanced shouldn't hurt. Also, regardless of how you get your protein, you have to stay hydrated.

The only way I could see someone having major problems is if they already consume more than enough protein. If you are only consuming 40-50 grams of protein daily, the extra aminos as long as they are balanced shouldn't hurt. Also, regardless of how you get your protein, you have to stay hydrated.
I agree. The problem OP was talking about is reminiscent of the problems people have that are on one of those High Protein diets, like Atkins. If you are not getting much more than your body weight requires, then you should be okay. Increase the water to help process the extra protein. Also, extra protein will be converted as fat.

^^ Along those lines, any supplement with calories will still count toward your daily caloric intake. So if you are drinking 1/4 cup of flaxseed oil/fish oil a day, well its good for you, but still is FAT. It adds up!

I have done some research on amino acids and it has been stated that you should drink lots of water and incorporate a certain amount of Vitamin C in your regular diet. HTH

Czyfaith, I'm Soooooo sorry I didnt reply to your response.....!!! Thanks for the advice. I stopped taking Amino Acids as the acne was persistant :nono:

But I now think the acne may have been down to milk containing foods that were in my diet (I'm alergic to milk)...as I stopped all consumption of milk (and aminos) and the acne ran away.. lol

So I'm going to attemp to reintroduce amino acids back into my vitamin regimen as the reults I used to get were GREAT.

Czyfaith, I take vitamin C now so there shouldn't be any other problems

Thanks again :)

Back