advice is needed!

umesbelle

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I really need help growing my hair back.

I had long thick hair and wanted to do something different for my birthday 2 years ago. I decided to get it colored for the first time. I went to a stylist someone told me was great.

She put the color in my hair and it was blonde! Then she put another color (black) to make it darker. Over all I didn't like is but what could I do? She told me to come back in some weeks to get a perm. I decided to go to my husbands god sister and not back to that lady.

I got a perm and as it was being washing out all of my hair was coming out. I went from thick hair to thin hair. I ask her what type of perm did she use and she said something call bantu?

I lost all of my hair and most of my confidence. I don't know what to do with this hair. I decided to get a sew in (1st time) to help it grow (there was too many patches to keep it out).

The sew in did good, and I had a good length only to get it nearly shaved in the back (march 2010)! I don't want to get another sew in.

Please help! What styles should I get to grow it out again?

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I really need help growing my hair back.

I had long thick hair and wanted to do something different for my birthday 2 years ago. I decided to get it colored for the first time. I went to a stylist someone told me was great.

She put the color in my hair and it was blonde! Then she put another color (black) to make it darker. Over all I didn't like is but what could I do? She told me to come back in some weeks to get a perm. I decided to go to my husbands god sister and not back to that lady.

I got a perm and as it was being washing out all of my hair was coming out. I went from thick hair to thin hair. I ask her what type of perm did she use and she said something call bantu?

I lost all of my hair and most of my confidence. I don't know what to do with this hair. I decided to get a sew in (1st time) to help it grow (there was too many patches to keep it out).

The sew in did good, and I had a good length only to get it nearly shaved in the back (march 2010)! I don't want to get another sew in.

Please help! What styles should I get to grow it out again?

I got lost on that note (in bold). You got it shaved in the back for a style or how did that happen?

Can't you just let it grow w/o doing anything to it but combing it out and braiding at night? Twists, twist-outs? Wig? I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do. How did you get length and then have it shaved?

I think what the stylist did is BLEACHED your hair blonde and THEN applied a color/toner.
Were you taking care of your hair under your sew in? Because it seems pointless to if your hair grew out only to shave it, if you want to retain length.

In order to grow you hair you must first learn how to retain the length of your hair.

1. The first place we have to start at is you can't let everybody into your hair and take everyones word on "Stylists" ( which is why you have many women on here with healthy hair) you have to learn about your own hair before the stylist can.

2. Check to see what condition your hair is in right now. Your hair must be healthy before moving forward to anything else ( like sew ins, braids and such) As a matter of fact, if you can, take a picture for a starting point/Before pic on your "Hair Journey" (some of us have a few)
Do you have split ends??
Is it dry??
Breakage??
Are you relaxed/Texlaxed/Transitioning/Stretching??

also, find your hair type
http://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types

You must take care of any of the information you answered yes to because these are setbacks that interrupt hair retention.

3. Are you willing to stick with healthy maintenance of your hair?? If not, then don't expect your hair to grow

Also:
Hair only grows 1/2 inch a month.
You have to have a lot of patience

After that is done with THEN you can start with the protective styles LIKE:

-Sew In's
There is a thread on here all about sew-ins.

-Braids
Plaits, sangalese twist, LHCF members correct me if I spelled this wrong) IMO Micro-Braids are the Devil but thats just me)

-Bunning

Below are some relaxed members links. Browse through their fotki and check out their methods of how they retain their length:

http://members.fotki.com/sylver2/about/
http://members.fotki.com/LetitiaTee/about/
http://members.fotki.com/brittanynic16/about/

Last edited:
I would advise you to stay away from sew ins.

I have numerous friends that have lost good hair because of that... and their hair line is just messed up. It's hard to tell you what kind of style to go for without knowing your face shape. For example, some people really suit the Rihanna hair style, and some don't. Just depends..

Just be brave and go natural. Let your hair breathe, and heal. That's my advice to you.

I would advise you to stay away from sew ins.

I have numerous friends that have lost good hair because of that... and their hair line is just messed up. It's hard to tell you what kind of style to go for without knowing your face shape. For example, some people really suit the Rihanna hair style, and some don't. Just depends..

Just be brave and go natural. Let your hair breathe, and heal. That's my advice to you.

I've worn my hair in a sew in for a year now and I'm about to hit 6 inches in Sept. ( I'm a natural) It also depends on how the sew in is installed. To each its own I believe.
I thought about telling OP to go natural also, but I didn't want anyone thinking I was a "Natural Nazi" you know, lol.

P.S. My edges cringed at relaxers ugh!

I've worn my hair in a sew in for a year now and I'm about to hit 6 inches in Sept. ( I'm a natural) It also depends on how the sew in is installed. To each its own I believe.
I thought about telling OP to go natural also, but I didn't want anyone thinking I was a "Natural Nazi" you know, lol.

P.S. My edges cringed at relaxers ugh!

Yeah I agree, it depends how it's sewn in. My friend was quite careless on how she took it out etc.

ahaha @ Natural Nazi. I believe what ever goes well with your hair go with it. I have a cousin whose hair is hip length, and she relaxes regurlarly and her hair is one of the most beautiful I've seen. I've considered going down that road, but my mum is a 'Natural Nazi' lol. I've heard too many 'relaxer horror stories' e.g my friends mum went to a salon, they left it on for too long and burnt her hair off. Yikes

Yeah I agree, it depends how it's sewn in. My friend was quite careless on how she took it out etc.

ahaha @ Natural Nazi. I believe what ever goes well with your hair go with it.
Me too

I have a cousin whose hair is hip length, and she relaxes regurlarly and her hair is one of the most beautiful I've seen. I've considered going down that road, but my mum is a 'Natural Nazi' lol.
I've heard too many 'relaxer horror stories' e.g my friends mum went to a salon, they left it on for too long and burnt her hair off. Yikes

Oooohhhh :nono:

I used to work in a hair salon where I was the ONLY stylist who did natural and relaxed hair. Some of these Stylist are off the chain too. I couldnt understand how they had such a high clientele while wearing a blonde and red silky smooth pony tail with no edges.
Weird thing about it is a lot of the stylist were quick to advise their clients of a short haircut, and turn it into a "Hairspray/Spritz drenched style" or to slap a weave in it, with that STANKY glue even if you had bald patches your hair.

Its difficult to find real stylist who specialize in healthy hair. Relaxed or natural

Oooohhhh :nono:
Its difficult to find real stylist who specialize in healthy hair. Relaxed or natural

That is soooooooooooo true.

So many times me and my friends go in for a TRIM, we make that clear, and then the stylist gets excited with the scissors and cuts off like 2 inches. The funniest has to be when a girl asked for a Rihanna hair cut, and the stylist started cutting her hair (most of its gone) and THEN she says... your hair is not long enough to do that and started doing some random cut.. just finishing my friends hair :nono:

We just all looked at her like. Is she fa'real :rolleyes:

That is soooooooooooo true.

So many times me and my friends go in for a TRIM, we make that clear, and then the stylist gets excited with the scissors and cuts off like 2 inches. The funniest has to be when a girl asked for a Rihanna hair cut, and the stylist started cutting her hair (most of its gone) and THEN she says... your hair is not long enough to do that and started doing some random cut.. just finishing my friends hair :nono:

We just all looked at her like. Is she fa'real :rolleyes:

Oh gosh. tThat happens when stylists are oblivious to managing hair, and arent familiar with haircuts.

A few years back, I remember when I was about to clock out the salon when they asked me to stay a little longer because this client wants her hair done.
One of the stylist who was suppose to do her hair had to leave and she told me she wants a flip with banana peels and I will tell someone right off the top of what I CAN and CAN'T do, so my first question was what the f*** is a banana peel because I don't know how to do them.
She told me "Oh just convince her to get something else"
I'm like uh ok didn't you just hear me?
Thats usually the exuse some stylists will use to distract someone from their incompetent styling: convince them to get something else.
Its okay if they're doing it in good intentions but I've seen that happen ALL the time to cover up an oopsie lol.

I told the other stylist no and didnt do the girls hair *shrug*

Loooooool @ Banana Peel.

Ahhh there should be more honest stylists like you. Yeah, I've come across too many that have no idea about what you want but are in a hurry to play with your hair. :nono:

Loooooool @ Banana Peel.

Ahhh there should be more honest stylists like you. Yeah, I've come across too many that have no idea about what you want but are in a hurry to play with your hair. :nono:

Because its all about sales...especially in a high-end salon.

Back