Advice for thicker and longer hair

Connie

Hello,

I've been a member since 2004 but it's been a while since I've posted. I lurk from time to time. It's cool to see a forum for women of color who want to grow long, lovely hair without feeling as if you're committing a felony wanting long hair.

That said, I have some questions for the forum.

What are good vitamins to promote thicker hair? I have no problem with growing my hair, but it's thinner than I'd like for it to be. I recently stopped blowdrying it and let it airdry when I was it, which is working out great.

For those of you with relaxed hair, do you relax it yourself as was that always the case, or did you start relaxing it yourself after you realized it was your stylist that was standing between you and longer hair? I've had shoulder length hair (that grows) for the entire 20 years I've been going to a stylist. Even with a couple times where I got my hair cut to just chinlength, something's not adding up!

What do you recommend for a good clarifier (I may have asked this once already)?

Give me some ideas of protective styles, please?

And any other tips you can offer will definitely be appreciated. I'm looking forward to sharing hair with you all. :-D

Thanks!

I wanted to also just post something here since it's been months since I posted something :-D

Connie said:
Hello,

I've been a member since 2004 but it's been a while since I've posted. I lurk from time to time. It's cool to see a forum for women of color who want to grow long, lovely hair without feeling as if you're committing a felony wanting long hair.

What are good vitamins to promote thicker hair? I have no problem with growing my hair, but it's thinner than I'd like for it to be. I recently stopped blowdrying it and let it airdry when I was it, which is working out great.

For those of you with relaxed hair, do you relax it yourself as was that always the case, or did you start relaxing it yourself after you realized it was your stylist that was standing between you and longer hair? I've had shoulder length hair (that grows) for the entire 20 years I've been going to a stylist. Even with a couple times where I got my hair cut to just chinlength, something's not adding up!

What do you recommend for a good clarifier (I may have asked this once already)?

And any other tips you can offer will definitely be appreciated. I'm looking forward to sharing hair with you all. :-D

*Thicker roots
b-5 (Pantheothentic acid)
carrot juice
much needed cut or trim

*Thicker hair strands(illusion)
rollersets
henna or cassia
Nexxus headress(seems to be very popular) or any volumizing shampoo/conditioner
Some people swear by condition washes

Last edited:
Connie said:
Hello,

I am a self relaxer. I personally self relax because I feel like I care more than anyone else. I had a fellow board memeber who is a stylist do my once and it came out great. She is one of the few people who I would totally trust doing it. If you are still at the same length after 20 years, it might be time for you to take control of more aspects of your hair care. Trust me, once you start deep conditioning every week at home and keeping scissors out your head every month, you will see progress. Many stylist are scissor happy and are constantly trimming your hair and cutting away all of your progress. I personally get trimmed every couple of months. That way I still can see my progress but I also help keep my ends nice and undamaged. If you want to start relaxing yourself, try practicing with a tint brush and cholesterol conditioner. That way you can perfect your application technique while conditioning your hair. Self Relaxing is also more cost effective. Instead of paying 60-70 bucks for a touch up, I pay around 20 bucks for enough relaxing materials to do 2-3 touch ups. Southerngirl has a self relaxing tutorial. Just do a search.

As far as a clarifier; I personally like design essentials organic cleanse shampoo and vo5 kiwi and lime shampoo. They both work great and the vo5 one is less than a dollar. I bought mine from big lots. CVS has it on sale right now for 76 cents with an extra card.

One of the easiest protective styles for me since I am barely shoulder length is using an octopus clip to make a bun. You can find these in the hair care section of walmart, kmart or any drugstore. I bought a new on last night at CVS for 3 dollars. I rub a little moisutrizer on my ends, slightly twist it just once up like a figure 8, and use the octopus clip to hold it up.

Connie said:
Hello,

I started self relaxing when I had a hair disaster and had to cut my matted hair. I knew if I went to the stylist, they would tell me to cut it all off and start over. Plus I wanted to save money. I go to upscale salons and it costs a pretty penny for relaxers at those salons. I like it because I dont experience the burning anymore when I do it myself.

Back