Advice for my 4a/4b Mentee

EccentricRed

I have a mentee who is transistioning right now. She is a really sweet wonderful girl, and I really want to make sure that it goes as smoothly as possible. We all know how critical a large hair change can be to self esteem.

Her hair is currently SL and she has a couple of inches of natural hair grown in. Obviously with 4b hair, the jump from the relaxed hair is a big one. She did kinky twists for a while, and then she was doing halfwigs, but it is starting to get on her nerves.

I give her some advice, but my natural hair is 3a,b,c and my transistion was very easy. I co-washed, slicked it back and bunned my hair daily. I feel like I can give her some ideas and routines, but other things & challenges I haven't encountered, so I'd love to hear some ideas to pass on to her. She says that she doesn't get to see a lot of examples of 4a/b Sistah's. (I'm trying to get her on here.)

I would really love to hear some ideas and products that she can use while she is transistioning and after she BC"s.

Thank you in advance everyone!:yep:

I'm in the same boat of transitioning with relaxed ends and a 4a/b (I believe we will see what it realllly is once I bc) mini fro lol. what problems is she running into? What is she doing to it now that she isnt in kinky twist or half wigs?

Send her here she will definitly find inspiration here...I find it daily!!! These ladies have a vast archive you only have to search and find!!

1. Deep condition often! (once a week)
2. Find a style that works in helping you keep your hands out of your hair on a daily basis.
3. ...Be prepared to be frustrated. It is apart of the journey.

I've been natural virtually all my life and I was still getting frustrated 20 years in. For those time, I put in extension braids and left it alone. That always prevented me from doing something drastic and permanent.

Also, if she is not opposed to heat, she can get her roots flat ironed. I have a number of friends that grew out their relaxers while getting their roots flat ironed. Their hair was the bomb digity throughout their transition!

Back