Adding an egg to your relaxer?

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

I just thought about this since I am texturized and sometimes experience overprocessing in some areas. Could this be used as the protein barrier to prevent overprocessing inorder to retain most of your curl pattern by mixing an egg into the relaxer along with oil? I was thinking of dividing the relaxer in half and adding an egg to the remainder. Would this cause any damage to my hair?:look: What are your thoughts on this idea?:)

I don't know about eggs, but when I put oil in my relaxer it definitely weakened the the strength of the relaxer..my hair did not get bone straight...which is how I like it..hth

Don't do it! It will be better to put oil or conditioner in your hair. Eggs to me sounds like it would be hard to get out of your hair. Why not use it when your relaxer is completely rinsed out of your hair. That way you will get a double dose of conditioning.

I have been adding oil and conditioner to a mild relaxer to texturize but sometimes it's still too strong for me. After doing some research I found out that Phyto relaxer active ingredients are egg extract and soy extract hence my curiosity to experiment. I have used an egg mixed with oil and conditioner without heat to prepoo without any problems so I don't see why it would be hard to rinse out if I add it to a relaxer.

I would test it out first and do more research. Try to see how the active chemicals in the relaxer interacts with the organic material in an egg. It may actually alter some of the material, especially the proteins, in the same way that it alters our hair and our scalps. Be careful.

CLASSYEBONYGIRL said:
I have been adding oil and conditioner to a mild relaxer to texturize but sometimes it's still too strong for me. After doing some research I found out that Phyto relaxer active ingredients are egg extract and soy extract hence my curiosity to experiment. I have used an egg mixed with oil and conditioner without heat to prepoo without any problems so I don't see why it would be hard to rinse out if I add it to a relaxer.

Wow, I never knew that! I am not familiar with Phyto. I will probably be texturizing my hair when I BC. Please let us know if this method works for you. I love looking at your hair.

I am absolutely fascinated by this topic.

I don't know the answer, but I would advise if you are going to try this then test it on a small section of your hair. You'd have to do more than a few strands in order to get a good idea, but you also don't want to do half your head just in case there is a reaction, ESPECIALLY with your color.

Good luck

Uhh, the difference is that a relaxer is a caustic chemical. If by chance the relaxer doesn't rinse cleanly, your hair can suffer. Why would you want to risk hair damage/loss? How much oil do you add to your relaxer? Can't you add more?

I wouldn't risk it... :perplexed

CLASSYEBONYGIRL said:

bklynwildheart said:
Uhh, the difference is that a relaxer is a caustic chemical. If by chance the relaxer doesn't rinse cleanly, your hair can suffer. Why would you want to risk hair damage/loss? How much oil do you add to your relaxer? Can't you add more?

I wouldn't risk it... :perplexed

Thanks for the scientific explanation:). It's making me think twice about the acidic reaction. I add 4 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of Suave/VO5 conditioner and 1 tablespoon of ORS hair mayonaise.

Oooo...I'd be scared to add anything to my relaxer. However, I do coat my hair with Phyto revitalizing treatment, which is a mixture of different oils, before I relax. I make sure I coat the ends and hair really well and then just let it sit for a while before I relax...sometimes I apply it in the morning and relax at night. I make sure I don't put the oil anywhere near the new growth, only where I don't want to overprocess. It has worked really well. Perhaps you may want to apply whatever you are mixing in your relaxer to your hair instead, as a pre-relaxer treatment. Just a thought!;)

Wow, and you're still being overprocessed! :eek:

How long do you leave it in for?

CLASSYEBONYGIRL said:

Thanks for the scientific explanation:). It's making me think twice about the acidic reaction. I add 4 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of Suave/VO5 conditioner and 1 tablespoon of ORS hair mayonaise.

CLASSYEBONYGIRL said:

You might want to try adding more conditioner to your relaxer. When I texturize my hair I take a bowl and do a half and half mixture of relaxer and cholesterol conditioner.

Try Elucence Moisture Barrier. I used it recently and my roots came out underprocessed, similar to the style you are seeking.

Protective Barrier Balm
This unique skin-conditioning complex keeps moisture in and chemicals out. Shield delicate skin with this nutrient-rich barrier balm. Essential fatty acids, conditioning coco butter and soothing chamomile in an emollient base provide an occlusive barrier against chemical penetration and moisture loss. This moisturizing balm ensures complete client comfort.

Do you 'base' your scalp before relaxing?

Do you part your hair into sections, then relax the 'hard-2-relax' sections first?

I just did a retouch and oiled my scalp w/olive oil. Then I parted my hair into sections to relax and I add oils (olive, coconut,& amla) to my relaxer. Then I did the H2R areas first so it processes a bit longer than the rest.
I also rinsed all the relaxer out, then conditioned b4 I neut.'pooed.

I love the way my hair turned out! I didn't burn, no dryness, and major moisture!

I'd be worried about the egg- it may do more harm than good.

Hope you find the right combo for your hair.

chicamorena said:
You might want to try adding more conditioner to your relaxer. When I texturize my hair I take a bowl and do a half and half mixture of relaxer and cholesterol conditioner.

The next time I do a touchup, that's if I change my mind about transitioning I will divide the relaxer and do half relaxer and half conditioner. Thanks for your suggestion.:)

ivanay said:
Try Elucence Moisture Barrier. I used it recently and my roots came out underprocessed, similar to the style you are seeking.

Protective Barrier Balm
This unique skin-conditioning complex keeps moisture in and chemicals out. Shield delicate skin with this nutrient-rich barrier balm. Essential fatty acids, conditioning coco butter and soothing chamomile in an emollient base provide an occlusive barrier against chemical penetration and moisture loss. This moisturizing balm ensures complete client comfort.

Thanks!! I will look into this product. It sounds very promising.:)

Thanks for sharing your self relaxing tips with me.:)

M J said:
Do you 'base' your scalp before relaxing?

Yes I do this all the time.

Do you part your hair into sections, then relax the 'hard-2-relax' sections first?

Yes I put my hair into twist all over and the part those sections into two and apply the relaxer. However, I have not felt comfortable enough to do the front section first separate from the back section because I am always scared that water will get to the back section while I am rinsing out the front section. But I might have to do this the next time I do a touchup because right now the front of my hair has so much new growth that it feels tender while the back has less.:ohwell:

I just did a retouch and oiled my scalp w/olive oil. Then I parted my hair into sections to relax and I add oils (olive, coconut,& amla) to my relaxer. Then I did the H2R areas first so it processes a bit longer than the rest.
I also rinsed all the relaxer out, then conditioned b4 I neut.'pooed.

I love the way my hair turned out! I didn't burn, no dryness, and major moisture!

I'd be worried about the egg- it may do more harm than good.

Hope you find the right combo for your hair.

Just an update!! After doing further research on the internet I found out that lye, egg and olive oil are used to make soap but I went ahead and experimented. However, I will definately be sticking to just adding oil and conditioner to my relaxer after experimenting on Monday with adding an egg to relaxer. As soon as I started mixing the egg into some left over relaxer it started to form a consistency like a thick dough.:eek:Today I went to check the mixture and it's now back to normal and very runny. Too scared to do a strand test!!

Anyway, I did a touchup with another relaxer (Elasta QP mild) to the front section of my hair only, since the back is overprocessed. I will do a corrective to the back section in Spring when I have more than enough new growth to work it.

Back