A Question....

ImaBoss

Wondering if you ladies can answer a quetsion for me. I'm still fairly new here, I have OCT, MT and the whole Aphogee line, however I have not started using either of them yet due to being undecided about which product would be best and being able to commit to washing my hair maybe more than once every two weeks....Soooo I want to know if I can use the aphogee products along with OCT or MT??? Would that be too much? Please give me your thoughts ..Thanks

That's way too much protein. I would recommend using OCT and MT, leave out the Aphogee. You're asking for protein overload if you use all three.

That's way too much protein. I would recommend using OCT and MT, leave out the Aphogee. You're asking for protein overload if you use all three.

Thanks for responding, I just don't know what to do because my hair is shedding/breaking now and I have not used none of them, also its not the really healthy even though its shoulder length.

If you check the stickies, you'll find a couple of links with excellent information for what to do when your hair is breaking. I would suggest moisture, moisture, moisture, and more moisture before you go deep with protein.

Perhaps you might consider a clarifying wash, light protein (did you get the ApHogee 2 Minute Reconstructor? Use that one with a cap and heat), and then do a deep moisture conditioning treatment - again with heat for at least 30 minutes and longer if you're not using heat. Use your moisture leave in and seal with the light oil of your choice. Hold off on the other products until you get this problem under control. At least - that's what I would do. I wash my hair more frequently (which I think is very important) than you want to, but I'm certain one of the ladies who wash less frequently will chime in with info.

In the meantime, check out the stickies - excellent information to be found there.

If you check the stickies, you'll find a couple of links with excellent information for what to do when your hair is breaking. I would suggest moisture, moisture, moisture, and more moisture before you go deep with protein.

Perhaps you might consider a clarifying wash, light protein (did you get the ApHogee 2 Minute Reconstructor? Use that one with a cap and heat), and then do a deep moisture conditioning treatment - again with heat for at least 30 minutes and longer if you're not using heat. Use your moisture leave in and seal with the light oil of your choice. Hold off on the other products until you get this problem under control. At least - that's what I would do. I wash my hair more frequently (which I think is very important) than you want to, but I'm certain one of the ladies who wash less frequently will chime in with info.

In the meantime, check out the stickies - excellent information to be found there.

I do the same thing when my hair starts breaking/shedding alot---clarify, dc 15 min w/ aphrogee, 1hr w/ moisture dc, moisturize w/ leave-in and seal w/ light oil (owe this to sistaslick). And it works everytime.

Thanks for responding, I just don't know what to do because my hair is shedding/breaking now and I have not used none of them, also its not the really healthy even though its shoulder length.

definately up the moisture game. but you may want to start w/ the oct, imo. i don't use but i think it's gentler then MT, so you get less shedding, i believe it contains more emollients (moisture aid). just use the google search tool on the board for more info. good luck.

Thanks, Yes I have the whole Aphogee Line! so the Two-Minute and the Two Step I have. What type of Clarifying product and DC should I use? I was kinda leaning toward not using either the Aphogee only or OCT only right now because of the current state of my hair.

I have read that the addition of baking soda works for clarifying. Do you have the ORS or even the neutralizing shampoo that comes with the relaxer. I use the Paul Mitchell 2 clarifying shampoo. Many beauty supplies sell the small PM2 for a couple of bucks.

Definitely use the 2 minute - doesn't the 2-step have a moisturizing conditioner for use after the protein step? If you have that, skip the heavy protein for now and use the moisturizing conditioner with a cap (or a plastic veggie bag) and heat or put on a hat, or something to really give the conditioner a chance to really do its job. I've read that warming the conditioner can work wonders too - give it a try. What type of leave in and oils do you have? I use Phyto7 (love this stuff) and then seal with camellia oil. Check the grocery or vitamin or health food stores to find something light. You don't want to coat your hair too much, so go light with the oil. You definitely want to moisturize and seal every day.

Did you get a chance to look at the stickies? The Sistaslick advice is in there - you really need to read it. Do you live near a Trader Joe's? The TJ's Nourish Spa conditioner is great for doing conditioner washes, and it's ultra cheap. If your hair is breaking really badly, you may have to do more than wash and condition every two weeks. Make sure you check all products for the amount and types of protein.

I have read that the addition of baking soda works for clarifying. Do you have the ORS or even the neutralizing shampoo that comes with the relaxer. I use the Paul Mitchell 2 clarifying shampoo. Many beauty supplies sell the small PM2 for a couple of bucks.

Definitely use the 2 minute - doesn't the 2-step have a moisturizing conditioner for use after the protein step? If you have that, skip the heavy protein for now and use the moisturizing conditioner with a cap (or a plastic veggie bag) and heat or put on a hat, or something to really give the conditioner a chance to really do its job. I've read that warming the conditioner can work wonders too - give it a try. What type of leave in and oils do you have? I use Phyto7 (love this stuff) and then seal with camellia oil. Check the grocery or vitamin or health food stores to find something light. You don't want to coat your hair too much, so go light with the oil. You definitely want to moisturize and seal every day.

Did you get a chance to look at the stickies? The Sistaslick advice is in there - you really need to read it. Do you live near a Trader Joe's? The TJ's Nourish Spa conditioner is great for doing conditioner washes, and it's ultra cheap. If your hair is breaking really badly, you may have to do more than wash and condition every two weeks. Make sure you check all products for the amount and types of protein.

Yeah im reading through the stickies now, thanks,
as far as oil, I have none as of yet, thinking about Emu or castor oil?? i dont know how light those are though. We have a Traders Joes here so I can definitely check that out. I have the Aphogee: Shampoo for Damaged Hair, ProVitamin Leave-in Conditioner, 2 Minute Reconstructor, Two-Step Protein Treament, the Balancing Moisturizer and the Keratin Green Tea Restructurizer-the conditioner says it provides lightweight moisture and the balancing moisturizer says it infuses moisture, so I might be good with using that. I know I need to up my washes but I do not have a relaxer and my hair draws up soooo tight, its murder combing and detangling and blow drying it, my scalp be sore afterwards:crying3:.

Yeah im reading through the stickies now, thanks,
as far as oil, I have none as of yet, thinking about Emu or castor oil?? i dont know how light those are though. We have a Traders Joes here so I can definitely check that out. I have the Aphogee: Shampoo for Damaged Hair, ProVitamin Leave-in Conditioner, 2 Minute Reconstructor, Two-Step Protein Treament, the Balancing Moisturizer and the Keratin Green Tea Restructurizer-the conditioner says it provides lightweight moisture and the balancing moisturizer says it infuses moisture, so I might be good with using that. I know I need to up my washes but I do not have a relaxer and my hair draws up soooo tight, its murder combing and detangling and blow drying it, my scalp be sore afterwards:crying3:.

I understand - it's why my hair is relaxed because I am a big baby and can't/don't want to deal with the pain and aggravation.

Okay, so given the list of products you have, here is the plan for tonight or tomorrow or very soon:

first wash with clarifying shampoo - you really need one, even if it's just a cheapie for the time being. second wash with shampoo for damaged hair. towel blot the hair to get rid of excess water and then apply the 2 minute reconstructor. put your hair with conditioner in a bag and hang out for a bit. i would suggest at least 15ish minutes. rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse and when you think the conditioner is all rinsed all out, rinse some more. again, blot with a towel to remove excess water, and apply the balancing moisturizing conditioner, put on the bag again, and if you have a dryer, use it for at least 30 minutes; if no dryer, year that bag for at least an hour and I think more would be better for this first time. Then rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse - how do you feel after detangling in the shower while rinsing? it makes it easier with the water flowing through with the conditioner. Blot again. Spray the reconstructor and the use the leave in, use the emu or castor, just know those oils will be heavy but both are good for your hair the castor oil will help lay down those edges something wonderful.

There are some women who wash and condition wearing four braids - take down hair one at a time to help with the tangles - maybe that will work for you?

I so understand the tangling natural hair thing, but maybe at least once a week? My best advice is to add some castor oil to the TJ's Nourish Spa and condition was every day or every other day using the sprays (reconstructor and leave-in) and oils, and then see how you feel about your hair in a couple of two/three weeks.

ETA: after this first big push, I do suggest diluting your shampoo.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Detangling and combing the hair can be painful if you do it on dry hair. I never comb or brush my hair dry (that also messes up the curls). I use a wide tooth shower comb (by Jilbere) and a Denman brush to help thoroughly detangle my hair (after I shampoo and while my hair is still loaded with conditioner and fully wet).

As far as protein goes, most naturals use minimal protein. I personally never purposedly seek out protein for my hair. I just focus on moisture. Since your hair isn't being relaxed anymore it's not really necessary for the protein to strengthen the bonds in your hair (which can be weakened by relaxers).

Also, I use Suave Professionals Clarifying Shampoo and when I want to deep condition I use a plastic cap and either Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil paks or Organic Root Stimulator Hair Mayonnaise.

Finally, for oils, I would recommend jojoba or coconut oil. Castor oil is good to (it's really thick and in humid weather it draws moisture to the hair--but in dry weather, like wintertime, it can actually make the hair drier sometimes). Jojoba is a nice light oil that is very similar to the natural sebum that the scalp produces. And coconut oil (esp. the raw, unrefined kind--I got mine at GNC) is really good at sealing moisture into the hair and giving it a great shine.

I understand - it's why my hair is relaxed because I am a big baby and can't/don't want to deal with the pain and aggravation.

Okay, so given the list of products you have, here is the plan for tonight or tomorrow or very soon:

first wash with clarifying shampoo - you really need one, even if it's just a cheapie for the time being. second wash with shampoo for damaged hair. towel blot the hair to get rid of excess water and then apply the 2 minute reconstructor. put your hair with conditioner in a bag and hang out for a bit. i would suggest at least 15ish minutes. rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse and when you think the conditioner is all rinsed all out, rinse some more. again, blot with a towel to remove excess water, and apply the balancing moisturizing conditioner, put on the bag again, and if you have a dryer, use it for at least 30 minutes; if no dryer, year that bag for at least an hour and I think more would be better for this first time. Then rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse - how do you feel after detangling in the shower while rinsing? it makes it easier with the water flowing through with the conditioner. Blot again. Spray the reconstructor and the use the leave in, use the emu or castor, just know those oils will be heavy but both are good for your hair the castor oil will help lay down those edges something wonderful.

There are some women who wash and condition wearing four braids - take down hair one at a time to help with the tangles - maybe that will work for you?

I so understand the tangling natural hair thing, but maybe at least once a week? My best advice is to add some castor oil to the TJ's Nourish Spa and condition was every day or every other day using the sprays (reconstructor and leave-in) and oils, and then see how you feel about your hair in a couple of two/three weeks.

ETA: after this first big push, I do suggest diluting your shampoo.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for the help I really appreciate it! I have my oils now (Castor and Emu) I'm thinking about adding coconut and jojoba oil as well, never can have to many I guess. I got a clarifying shampoo, so im good and ready. I just want to start this year and going foward taking better care of and growing my natural hair out, my hair is a straggly shoulder length but not a healthy thick strong shoulder length and the very top has broken off-but I also had bleach blond color on that part so you how that goes.
I really like the idea of staying natural, but I am soooo craving a relaxer, I have not had one in over a year, I do not like my ends and roots feeling and looking like this. I keep my hair in cornrolls-I wear and sell Lace Wigs, and when I was not wearing the lace wig I had a sew-in, so thats the only reason why I was ok without the relaxer, but the tangled mess is bad when washing, so yes I was only washing every 2-2 and half weeks.
So thanks again everyone and wich me luck.

Detangling and combing the hair can be painful if you do it on dry hair. I never comb or brush my hair dry (that also messes up the curls). I use a wide tooth shower comb (by Jilbere) and a Denman brush to help thoroughly detangle my hair (after I shampoo and while my hair is still loaded with conditioner and fully wet).

As far as protein goes, most naturals use minimal protein. I personally never purposedly seek out protein for my hair. I just focus on moisture. Since your hair isn't being relaxed anymore it's not really necessary for the protein to strengthen the bonds in your hair (which can be weakened by relaxers).

Also, I use Suave Professionals Clarifying Shampoo and when I want to deep condition I use a plastic cap and either Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil paks or Organic Root Stimulator Hair Mayonnaise.

Finally, for oils, I would recommend jojoba or coconut oil. Castor oil is good to (it's really thick and in humid weather it draws moisture to the hair--but in dry weather, like wintertime, it can actually make the hair drier sometimes). Jojoba is a nice light oil that is very similar to the natural sebum that the scalp produces. And coconut oil (esp. the raw, unrefined kind--I got mine at GNC) is really good at sealing moisture into the hair and giving it a great shine.

I looked at some coconut oil the other day while I was in the store and I am now gonna go back and get it, thanks for that info. Again I would like to continue this natural thing, but at some point I may want to relaxer me hair, if my hair was nice had a pretty natural curl like most of the natural women I see here and yours, then I would like it, but my hair just looks like a very kinki coily afro-(trying NOT to use the word NAPPY here) but that what it is,-every bead to itself-just beedebee all day long around my edges and nape-so that is not a look I desire.

Back