A Question for Stretchers...

MaryJane3000

When I get my hair relaxed, I always go to a professional, after I've stretched for about 10 weeks they have a hard time straightening my hair and i feel like they're pulling out a lot of hair and causing breakage/damage. My hair dresser back home says its because I wait too long between touch ups and she can't help it.

I get my hair relaxed bone straight and I was wondering if any other ladies out there deal with the same thing n how do they deal with it?

I'm thinking about taking my time to detangle my hair before I go in and maybe section it off into loose braids to make it easier, but I'm apprehensive.

Does anyone have any advice? Or should I tell the person doing my hair tomorrow to just not yank my hair and take their time when they comb it?

I also go a professional every 16wks for my retouchs. I've never encounter that problem. Maybe you need to seek someone that will be more gentle with your hair...

This is why I self relax...And why I dont goto the salon anymore...and why I dont let anyone near my head.
I would advise u to detangle before u go if u feel as if that is the issue. Otherwise let her know to be more gentle...

This is EXACTLY why I'm learning to self relax. i can't give people but so many directions.

During my last stretch I was really worried about this (I stretched for 27 weeks)...this is what I did:

On my last wash day I co-washed, DC'ed, and made sure my ng was thoroughly detangled.

Next I air dried in a ponytail roller set (about 6 from the crown to the back and 2 on the sides)

This made it so much easier for my stylist because my hair was detangled and sectioned off to some extent.

She charged me $15 more though :perplexed

When I don't feel like self-relaxing, I go to a stylist who understands the requirements to do my hair. We are on the same wavelength sorta speak when it comes to hair care.

All that yanking & stuff is never, never neccessary.

I have to agree with the other ladies, you may need to find a new stylist all together. My first real stretch was 34 weeks and I let me neice who'd just graduated from hair school put in my relaxer, because I thought my regular stylist would charge me a virgin rate. Even with my newly graduated neice I didn't have this problem.

My stylist who has always relaxed my hair, except the one previou occasion, NEVER rips through my hair, she is still very gentle and my last stretch was 18 weeks or something like that.

I would suggest taking the time out to detangle before going in And letting them know to be more gentle. That's one thing I used to hate about some stylist is they act as if it's of no concern to them that they are ripping people's hair out of their heads. :nono:

Hey OP,

I am transitioning now. But, when I did stretch, that did not happen to me. My stylist is very gentle. But, I also made sure that I thoroughly detangled the night before, gently with my fingers before using a wide tooth comb. Also, I applied coconut oil to my hair, esp the previously-relaxed portion. Then, I put it in a smooth bun. Oh, and I also made sure that I roller-set my hair the wash before my relaxer so that the new growth was relatively stretched. Hth

thanks ladies..im going to a new stylist now, mostly because of my frustrations with my old one, so i'll just make sure to tell her to be gentle with it. It's too late for me to rollerset my hair but I'll detangle it tomorrow morning and section it off into like four pigtails and hopefully thatll make things easier for her.

Sidenote- I always felt a lil intimidated by my stylist mostly because shes done my hair since i was little so I think she felt she could get away with more stuff with me since she's known me for so long.

I feel you on this one, this happened to me! My stylist just rip through my hair. Thank you for posting this issue.

thanks ladies..im going to a new stylist now, mostly because of my frustrations with my old one, so i'll just make sure to tell her to be gentle with it. It's too late for me to rollerset my hair but I'll detangle it tomorrow morning and section it off into like four pigtails and hopefully thatll make things easier for her.

Sidenote- I always felt a lil intimidated by my stylist mostly because shes done my hair since i was little so I think she felt she could get away with more stuff with me since she's known me for so long.

Back