a question about henna, older women, relaxing, and grey coverage

luthiengirlie

Hello everyone,

I'm a youngin but I'd like to ask for advice. There's a beautiful life enriched(I don't like to say older) woman I know. She has been weaving for 15-20 years. Her hair is mid back SHRUNK UP! I don't know how long it would be if she presses it. Weaving is getting so expensive, the hair the services. I know shed like to cover her gray and not pay so much $$$ to do it. And I know its difficult to cover grey. I'm wondering if henna could help. I'd like to help her dye her grey and she could go to someone to relax and pressed. Itd help her financially. Anyone have any tips?

Hello everyone,

I'm a youngin but I'd like to ask for advice. There's a beautiful life enriched(I don't like to say older) woman I know. She has been weaving for 15-20 years. Her hair is mid back SHRUNK UP! I don't know how long it would be if she presses it. Weaving is getting so expensive, the hair the services. I know shed like to cover her gray and not pay so much $$$ to do it. And I know its difficult to cover grey. I'm wondering if henna could help. I'd like to help her dye her grey and she could go to someone to relax and pressed. Itd help her financially. Anyone have any tips?

Hi,

I'm not a veteran but I will acknowledge your thread :yep:

If she's used weave's to retain her length then she could learn to do other protective styles herself.

Is she relaxed or a natural?

Have you researched the henna threads to find out what kind would be best for her?

Since henna gives off a red tint, I think her greys would end up bright red while the rest of her hair is tinted. Maybe she could try indigo with or without the henna. I also think Bigen hair color would work well.

Hi,

I'm not a veteran but I will acknowledge your thread :yep:

If she's used weave's to retain her length then she could learn to do other protective styles herself.

Is she relaxed or a natural?

Have you researched the henna threads to find out what kind would be best for her?

This woman hasn't had a perm for 15-20 years. So I'm assuming she's natural. She is thinking of going back to relaxing for ease.

Since henna gives off a red tint, I think her greys would end up bright red while the rest of her hair is tinted. Maybe she could try indigo with or without the henna. I also think Bigen hair color would work well.

Thank you. Let me check into both. I just want her to feel comfortable about taking care of the hair. When a person gets more life enriched. They don't wanna bother with maintaining it too much. I understand. I'm 23 and I don't wanna be bothered with maintaing it too much. (Even though I have HIGH MAITENENCE HAIR)

I believe your hair has to contain henna for the indigo to take. In other words, you must henna 1st, and afterwards apply the indigo (This is called a 2-step process). Or you can henna and indigo at the same time.

Go to mehandi.com and download their free ebook on hennaing. It contains great information about dying one's hair different colors.

I like the idea that henna is permanent, does not fade and is natural. Some people are allergic to hair dyes and I, as an older woman, do not want chemicals on my head.

In addition, you can henna/indigo over previously dyed hair.

Finally, as someone mentioned, there are several henna threads on LHCF and, I believe, a thread about the allergic reaction some people have experienced by using Bigen hair dye.

As far as henna ( and indigo) it would be a great option for her. Like Pompous Blue said, you first need to do a full henna only application before using indigo. After that, same day, immediately following rinsing out the henna, you can do a henna and indigo mix for darker tones of brown hair, or a full indigo application to achieve black hair.

The more you use indigo, the blacker the hair will get. I go back and forth between henna only, "hendigo" mix, and indigo only treatments . Also, once you go black, you can't go back. :lol: but you can add a reddish tint over the black hair by doing henna only.

I love henna and indigo! :heart:

I believe your hair has to contain henna for the indigo to take. In other words, you must henna 1st, and afterwards apply the indigo (This is called a 2-step process). Or you can henna and indigo at the same time.

Go to mehandi.com and download their free ebook on hennaing. It contains great information about dying one's hair different colors.

I like the idea that henna is permanent, does not fade and is natural. Some people are allergic to hair dyes and I, as an older woman, do not want chemicals on my head.

Finally, as someone mentioned, there are several henna threads on LHCF and, I believe, a thread about the allergic reaction some people have experienced by using Bigen hair dye.

So it Is a 1, 2 step process. Hmmm interesting.

As far as henna ( and indigo) it would be a great option for her. Like Pompous Blue said, you first need to do a full henna only application before using indigo. After that, same day, immediately following rinsing out the henna, you can do a henna and indigo mix for darker tones of brown hair, or a full indigo application to achieve black hair.

The more you use indigo, the blacker the hair will get. I go back and forth between henna only, "hendigo" mix, and indigo only treatments . Also, once you go black, you can't go back. :lol: but you can add a reddish tint over the black hair by doing henna only.

I love henna and indigo! :heart:

I know its been a while. But I'm wondering how long of a proccess it is for the henna to fully take?

Has anyone ever been allergic to henna?

Back