A Quest For Simplicity....

MizaniMami

Anyone on a quest to have a simple regimen? I think my regimen is so darn complicated! I have too many products and I find that I have the best results when I stick to something.

I am going to take a LHCF'er advice and donate my products to a women's shelter or even to my mom!

All I want to own is:
A good moisturizing/detangling poo-FOUND
A good moisturizing detangling con-FOUND
A good reconstructor (has protein and moisture)-FOUND
A good protein treatment-FOUND
A good clarifying poo-FOUND
A good leave-in-FOUND
A good Serum-FOUND
A good moisturizer-FINALLY FOUND
A good heat protectant-FOUND
A Good oil-FOUND (many that I like though)

Why is it that I HAVE SOO MANY of each thing and it is hard for me to let go? I cannot let go. When it is time to let go I am all like "what if I need this" or 'what if my products stop working for me!"

My sis has a simple regimen and it is working nice for her. Darn! I need help!

I know- I have a closet full of old stuff that I cant let go:( I wanna sell them but I feel like I should use them up....

Miz...What are your "found" products??

macherieamour said:
I know- I have a closet full of old stuff that I cant let go:( I wanna sell them but I feel like I should use them up....

That's the thing! I will be here all day telling you guys but here it is lol:

A good moisturizing/detangling poo-Keracare Dteangling, But I love Aveda DR even though it doesn't help with the tangles.

A good moisturizing detangling con-Keracare Humecto but I still love DR, but like I mentioned before it doesn't help with the tangles

A good reconstructor (has protein and moisture)-Aveda DR treatment

A good protein treatment-Nexxus Keraphix for light and Nexxus Emergencee

A good clarifying poo-Aveda Detox

A good leave-in-Humectress mixed with Rusk Smoother, but I still want to try Keracare's

A good Serum-Aveda Brilliant, that's a staple

A good moisturizer-My mixed concoction of Humectress, Humecto, water, and keracare oils

A good heat protectant-Nexxus heat protexx

A Good oil-FOUND Kemi Oyl, Keracare, Hempseed, Jamaican Black Castor & coconut oil!

How do/did you ladies narrow your products to staples??

yep i feel the same- i find loads of good conditioners (i buy them all the time!) but i need to just stick to a good simple regime that ill be able to follow.

right now im trying to stick to a pattern of-

1. wash hair in braids twice a week- jason or ASDA camomile & honey (or any other good conditioner :-)
2. moisturize- water, nexxus headress, castor oil
3. scalp- MTG or daktarin
4. shampoo every two weeks- Lush coconut shampoo.
5. baggie every night
6. dont comb hair till next wash

see now this seems easy enougth but iv jus read about the karacare shampoos so i might add them too. LOL i need to stop adding stuff

For Me----

A good moisturizing/detangling poo-Im using CON right now, the green bottle.

A good moisturizing detangling con-Ya KNow I dont have one :(

A good reconstructor (has protein and moisture)- ORS Replinishing Pak

A good protein treatment- See Above

A good clarifying poo- Suave Clarifying (Rusk)

A good leave-in-Thermasilk, straight and smooth Leave In (the BEST and its only 2.50 :lol:

A good Serum-Garnier Fructis Straight and Sleek Leave In Serum

A good moisturizer- Elasta QP Mango Butter

A good heat protectant- Havent Found One that doesnt make me itch

A Good oil- Kemi Oyl, and EVOO

I narrow my products to staples by just realizing what works for me and learning to let go of all the stuff that I dont need, I convince myself it will hurt my growth and there is no problem letting go...

PS... all of this will prob change cuz I have fallen in love with ORS... Tee Hee

Last edited:
I think that the key to a simple regimen is tryin to find porudtcs with multiple uses.

Sometimes hair companies convince us that we NEED more that we actually do. When in reality;

Conditioner = Leave-in = Setting lotion = Heat protectant

Oil = Gloss = Sealant

Conditioner + Oil + Water = Daily moisturizer

That being said, sometimes you need that extra product. But...sometimes you dont.

I saw this with PHYTO specific. Their whole regimen consisted of the shampoo/ conditioner and this butter (setting lotion, moisturizer, heat proteactant, shine and leave-in all in one).

A good moisturizing/detangling poo-Elucence MB Shampoo

A good moisturizing detangling con-Elucence MB Conditioner

A good reconstructor - N/A

A good protein treatment- Elucence Repair Treatment

A good clarifying poo- N/A

A good leave-in- Giovanni Direct Leave In

A good Serum-Aveda Brilliance

A good moisturizer- Mango Butter

A good heat protectant- N/A

A Good oil- Jojoba Oil

It takes a while to find outw what works for but once you do find them, they become staples. :grin:

What does a serum do? (like a I NEED another thing to add to everything else I"m trying right now!)

I know how you feel though I still haven't found my staples so right now it's doubly hard b/c not only do I need all the things you wrote but I'm still in that stage of one day using this and the next day using something else. (or hopefully other people went thru this stage and not just me).

You should be happy that you finally found your staples and sit back and relax! You've accomplished so much already. I can't wait to get there! I feel like it will be forever until I figure out what products my hair needs.

I am definately on a quest for simplicity and I am feeling like even 10 products is too much for me. I would love to do what Macherie described below. Is it too extreme to imagine I can fulfill all of my hair needs with 5 or less products?

macherieamour said:
I think that the key to a simple regimen is tryin to find porudtcs with multiple uses.

Sometimes hair companies convince us that we NEED more that we actually do. When in reality;

Oil = Gloss = Sealant

That being said, sometimes you need that extra product. But...sometimes you dont.

I saw this with PHYTO specific. Their whole regimen consisted of the shampoo/ conditioner and this butter (setting lotion, moisturizer, heat proteactant, shine and leave-in all in one).

macherieamour said:

Oil = Gloss = Sealant

I agree. :yep: I try to stick with the minimum products/system to achieve desired results. One big example in my regimen is that I do not pre poo. Why? Because I coat my hair with oil to seal in my moisturizers throughout the week which creates a barrier. On wash day, I saturate my hair in water, further impeding the penetration of shampoo that I water down any way and apply directly to my scalp using a color applicator. No problems at all and I’ve saved myself an hour of pre pooing.

And, call me crazy, but there are also some things I don't use anymore like hot oil treatments, heat protectants, reconstructors (only after a touch-up), and serums. And I was the Serum Queen for over 10 years. :p It was bad. :lol: But I discovered they just aren't nessesary in my regimen.

LovelyZ said:
I am definately on a quest for simplicity and I am feeling like even 10 products is too much for me. I would love to do what Macherie described below. Is it too extreme to imagine I can fulfill all of my hair needs with 5 or less products?

Hi Twin :wave:

I don't think it's extreme if it works....If you think about it most caucasians don't have nearly as many products as we do. They wash their hair daily to remove oil. So that's shampoo and conditioner. They may or may not use a leave in. They may or may not use a styling product of some kind. And that might be it. I'm sure some have and use more. I think that that's it for most though.

Most women that reach bsl or beyond on this site seem to have very simple regimens. All of my friends that have bsl hair have very very very simple regimens and don't use a lot of products.

I'm still trying to figure out what works for me.

So far I've been able to make combine my leave in and moisturizer into one product...NTM. I am thinking about making a spray moisturizer like the one MizaniMami described. I'll be experimenting when I get home, and I won't have to buy anything to make this :grin: .

macherieamour said:

Oil = Gloss = Sealant

macherieamour,

so, so true. one product can have many uses.

RabiaElaine said:
Hi Twin :wave:

Most women that reach bsl or beyond on this site seem to have very simple regimens. All of my friends that have bsl hair have very very very simple regimens and don't use a lot of products.

I'm still trying to figure out what works for me.

It wasn't until I joined this board that I realized how many products I "needed". Now I want to pretend like I've never heard of reconstructor or protein treatments and just use basic stuff. Of course, I'll have to see what works, but it would be simply wonderful if I could get by with:

1. Moisturizing Shampoo
2. Moisturizing Conditioner
3. Leave-In/Heat Protectant/Setting Product All-in-one
4. Oil
5. Daily Moisturizer

It has been some months since I've been keeping it simple. My hair needs consist of:

Shampoo (which lasts forever because I use it infrequently)
Conditioner (which goes quickly as I use it daily)
Honey

I also like to have a natural butter on hand, though lately conditioner + honey as a leave in has been doing the trick for me.

I do not use reconstructors, gels, serums, oils, etc. I have quit with protein indefinitely. All of my products are protein free, except for my GPB which I plan to use occasionally as a deep conditioner.

My problem is I like to try new conditioners all of the time. If a conditioner has no cones, no proteins and no parabens, I feel like I HAVE to try it. This is even when what I am using is working well. I guess I could call myself a conditioner junkie. :look:

basically the whole keracare line is my staple, and my recon is affirm (from the keracare avlon company).

i couldn't tell you how i chose staples, they just seems to fall into my box! i know this may seem really bible-fied, but i prayed to god a year ago when my hair was just growing but was breaking damaged etc, and i asked him to let me make the right decisions. slowly but surely i found a vitamin regime that promoted growth and health and just one line of products. i do believe my prayers were answered as it just all fell into place and quickly. Everything else i've used worked for a good few months but then went terribley wrong. now when anything other than keracare touches my hair, it works then fails miserabley. i'm a keracare chick for life.

If your a believer then ask you god for some guidance and i'm sure you'll find your way.

if your not a believer, then just be determined to stick to what you KNOW is good and dont be tempted to try others just cuz it works for somebody elses head!

Last edited:
I have started simplifying it because I try new things and my hair REACTS in a BAD WAY then I pay for it. So I will have to stick with what I have for now. The problem is my quest for SOFTER hair but I need to find that without losing the hair I have...lol.

A good moisturizing/detangling poo-CON (red bottle)

A good moisturizing detangling con- Kenra MC, Kenra Emollient, AO Ultrasmoothing, (I'm getting AO honeysuckle rose :look:)

A good reconstructor - Affirm 5 in 1

A good protein treatment- GPB, ORS RP, Nexxus

A good clarifying poo- Vitale (the neutralizing shampoo)

A good leave-in- Giovanni Vitapro (My hair does better with the water things than the cream things...wonder why...hm)

A good Serum-John Frieda

A good moisturizer- Rehydrating mist (My hair does better with the water things than the cream things...wonder why...hm) I may use this as my only leave in in time...

A good heat protectant- Redken heat glide

A Good oil- Emu Oil

Last edited:
Cichelle said:
It has been some months since I've been keeping it simple. My hair needs consist of:

Shampoo (which lasts forever because I use it infrequently)
Conditioner (which goes quickly as I use it daily)
Honey

I also like to have a natural butter on hand, though lately conditioner + honey as a leave in has been doing the trick for me.

I do not use reconstructors, gels, serums, oils, etc. I have quit with protein indefinitely. All of my products are protein free, except for my GPB which I plan to use occasionally as a deep conditioner.

My problem is I like to try new conditioners all of the time. If a conditioner has no cones, no proteins and no parabens, I feel like I HAVE to try it. This is even when what I am using is working well. I guess I could call myself a conditioner junkie. :look:

I am always on the lookout for protein-free, silicone free condish! Which ones have found without BOTH -- I'm still looking . . . I don't mind the parabens, but would love to find a condish that has no 'cones and no proteins . . . TIA!

Neroli said:
I am always on the lookout for protein-free, silicone free condish! Which ones have found without BOTH -- I'm still looking . . . I don't mind the parabens, but would love to find a condish that has no 'cones and no proteins . . . TIA!
Have you tried the AO stuff?

I agree with Candy C, I was having problems with my hair being the same length for years and I prayed for God to help me with maintaining hair health, which is when I started doing it myself and it has been all good from then on, and I am growing on.

I have staples but the problems comes when I want to try something new even though I have things that work. I was afraid of my hair becoming immune to my staples therefore requiring me to find alternatives.

This is what I have so far...

Moisturizing shampoo and conditioner- silk elements

Clarifying shampoo- suave daily

Oil- Jamaican Mango and Lime

Leave-in- Cantu sheabutter

Daily moisturizer- Vitapointe

Serum- I think I like redken heatglide for flat-ironing

Heavy protein- Haven't found one yet

Light Protein- Keraphix

Relaxer- Silk elements

LovelyZ said:
but it would be simply wonderful if I could get by with:

1. Moisturizing Shampoo
2. Moisturizing Conditioner
3. Leave-In/Heat Protectant/Setting Product All-in-one
4. Oil
5. Daily Moisturizer

this is all i do, minus the oil.

it still amazes me the amount of stuff ppl put in their hair. i wouldnt have time for myself if i did any more.

Candy_C said:
basically the whole keracare line is my staple, and my recon is affirm (from the keracare avlon company).

i couldn't tell you how i chose staples, they just seems to fall into my box! i know this may seem really bible-fied, but i prayed to god a year ago when my hair was just growing but was breaking damaged etc, and i asked him to let me make the right decisions. slowly but surely i found a vitamin regime that promoted growth and health and just one line of products. i do believe my prayers were answered as it just all fell into place and quickly. Everything else i've used worked for a good few months but then went terribley wrong. now when anything other than keracare touches my hair, it works then fails miserabley. i'm a keracare chick for life.

If your a believer then ask you god for some guidance and i'm sure you'll find your way.

if your not a believer, then just be determined to stick to what you KNOW is good and dont be tempted to try others just cuz it works for somebody elses head!

Wow, I'm a believer Candy C. :wave:

I was really touched by your post, well said, girl! :Rose:

I need to ask God for some guidance with my hair, I am still very much in pursuit of simplicity in my hair regimen. :(

A good moisturizing/detangling poo-?
A good moisturizing detangling con-NTM DDC
A good reconstructor (has protein and moisture)-keraphix at touchup time
A good protein treatment-aphogee only if theres damaged.
A good clarifying poo-?
A good leave-in-Rusk Smoother
A good Serum-NTM
A good moisturizer-NTM silk touch
A good heat protectant-John Frieda Frizz ease serum
A Good oil-Jojoba

I have given two bags of assorted hair ish to my cousin over the past two weeks, I know she thinks I'm bugging...a lot of the items I wasn't using and it was time to clear them out (like that big arse bottle of affirm neutralizing poo).

Moisturizing/Detangling Poos - rotating a little, but I think I'm going to restock with Keracare Detangling and treat myself to a full size Phyto poo.

Moisturizing/Detangling Conditioners - NTM DDC, Motions Moisture Plus (has replaced Humecto) and White Rain

Reconstructors - Aphogee Two Minute Intensive (also goes by another name)

Protein Treatment - (not really protein) Emergencee; Aphogee (hard core if needed)

Clarifying Poo - Keracare 1st Lather

Leave in - hmmmm...feeling different things, depending on hair state -
Keracare leave in, NTM leave in, Lacio Lacio for rollersetting

Serum - NTM (wet/dry hair); ORS serum/glossing polish

Moisturizers - Kids Organics Moisturizing Detangling Lotion, ORS Olive Oil
(want to use Silk Elements leave in as moisturizer)

Hairdress - Keracare and Vitapointe

Heat Protectant - ORS serum/glossing polish

Oil - mixtures

Things have gotten more simplified over the past two months and I like it.

i have
1. regular shampoo- dark n lovely (might change it)
2. clarifying poo- pantene (every 2 weeks)
3. deep conditioner- silk elements mayo, NTM mask, jane carter (will just use the jane carter when the mask and mayo are done)
4. moisturizer- s curl
5. oil-vitamin e

For Me---- Updated 10/16/06

A good moisturizing/detangling poo-Imstill using CON right now, the green bottle.

A good moisturizing detangling con- Motions Moisture Plus After Shampoo Conditioner

A good reconstructor - Aphogee 2 min Reconstructor

A good protein treatment- CPR

A good leave-in-Thermasilk, detangler and leave in spray - Only 2.50 :lol:

A good Serum- Got a few Fantasia IC Hair Polishes

A good moisturizer- Keracare Oil Moisturizer w/ jojoba oil (want to try the creme)

A good heat protectant- Hair Polishes mentioned in Serum Line Item

A Good oil- Kemi Oyl, and EVOO

KhandiB said:

I agree 100% with that. Suave's Clarifying shampoo is a fantastic product. I sometimes use glue tracks and have a problem with getting it all out, and this stuff did some kind of miracle on my head and turned leftover bits of glue into little pieces like bread crumbs and they just fell out of my hair. Not to mention it leaves the hair minty fresh, literally. It's a keeper. :up:

A good moisturizing/detangling poo-Soft Sheen Carson Breakthru

A good moisturizing detangling con- Elasta QP Intense

A good reconstructor - Dudley's Hair Rebuilder

A good protein treatment- Aubrey Organics GBP

A good clarifying poo- Elucence Acidifying

A good leave-in-Abba Nourishing leave in

A good Serum- No more serums for me

A good moisturizer- Abba Nourishing leave in

A good heat protectant- Wild Growth Hair Oil

A Good oil- Etae' Watershine on dry hair-Wild Growth Hair Oil on wet hair

macherieamour said:

Both of U's make me drool everytime I see your hair!!! Help me Lawd! I need patience!! And Miz's list of Founds, I think she's my hair twin :look:

RabiaElaine said:
I am thinking about making a spray moisturizer like the one MizaniMami described. I'll be experimenting when I get home, and I won't have to buy anything to make this :grin: .

I'm going to do the same thing using a big ole bottle of Infusion, African Pride braid spray (has some good ingrediants) and some type of light weight oil.... Can use the same concotion add to some Wrap and Tap I already have a make a setting lotion. I've been trying to go shopping in my own closet!! Thanks to you ladies, I'm coming up will all kinds of ideas.

Candy_C said:

If your not a believer, then just be determined to stick to what you KNOW is good and dont be tempted to try others just cuz it works for somebody elses head!

Man, this is the best advice going. Seek ye first the kingdom..., I have to be constantly reminded of this. Thank you!! :love:

Back