A Quest For Simplicity....

Ive been been taking an informal poll of the MANY young, black guys I see walking around with a headful of beautiful, heathy natural hair.

I know they don't use 1/3 of all products that we women think our hair needs. Relaxed hair is different, but I should be able to follow the boy's lead to grow out a headful of healthy natural hair.

Basically they keep their cornrowed, shampoo often (maybe condition), grease their scalp and wear a do-rag to bed-- that is IT - three products max! :p

That being said I still have a closet full of products! :confused:

Candy_C said:
basically the whole keracare line is my staple, and my recon is affirm (from the keracare avlon company).

i couldn't tell you how i chose staples, they just seems to fall into my box! i know this may seem really bible-fied, but i prayed to god a year ago when my hair was just growing but was breaking damaged etc, and i asked him to let me make the right decisions. slowly but surely i found a vitamin regime that promoted growth and health and just one line of products. i do believe my prayers were answered as it just all fell into place and quickly. Everything else i've used worked for a good few months but then went terribley wrong. now when anything other than keracare touches my hair, it works then fails miserabley. i'm a keracare chick for life.

If your a believer then ask you god for some guidance and i'm sure you'll find your way.

if your not a believer, then just be determined to stick to what you KNOW is good and dont be tempted to try others just cuz it works for somebody elses head!
Great reminder! I'm a believer too.

Rejoice...for the steps (to a good hair care regimen) of a righteous (wo)man are ordered of God!

CurliDiva said:
Ive been been taking an informal poll of the MANY young, black guys I see walking around with a headful of beautiful, heathy natural hair.

I know they don't use 1/3 of all products that we women think our hair needs. Relaxed hair is different, but I should be able to follow the boy's lead to grow out a headful of healthy natural hair.

Basically they keep their cornrowed, shampoo often (maybe condition), grease their scalp and wear a do-rag to bed-- that is IT - three products max! :p

That is such a good point!! I've seen guys whose hair looks so soft and moisturized doing very little to maintain their hair.

I can't seem to step away from the products though...:perplexed

On the quest for simplicity in my regime, the following products are slowly emerging as my staples.

A good moisturizing/detangling poo- CON (green)
A good moisturizing con- Proclaim Aloe & Shea Butter Conditioner, Lekair Cholesterol Plus
A good reconstructor (has protein and moisture)- Aphogee 2 min. reconstructor
A good protein treatment- Proclaim Aloe Hot Oil or ORS RP (mild protein)
A good clarifying poo- Proclaim Neutralizing poo
A good leave-in- Rusk Smoother
A good Serum- Fantaisa IC (Heat Protecting or Olive)
A good moisturizer- Silk Elements Megasilk creme or Proclaim Aloe & Shea Butter Conditioner
A good heat protectant- Beyond the Zone Turn Up the Heat
A Good oil- WGO, Africa's Best, Hot Six, Wonder 8

Now I have to just implement some consistency in the things I do to my hair. :ohwell:

Last edited:
All I want to own is:
A good moisturizing conditioner - Aveda DR Moisturizing Conditioner
A good detangler - Eqyss Survivor
A good reconstructor - KeraPhix
A good protein treatment (moisturizing) - StyleOne Pure Protein added to Aveda.
A good clarifying poo- Ion Purifying Treatment
A good leave-in- Salerm 21
A good serum- (don't serums)
A good heat protectant- (don't use heat that often)
A Good oil- amla, avocado, coconut, kemi.
A good acidifier - StyleOne Moisturizing Conditioner (or ACV)
A good hair strengthener and shine enabler (Ok, I made this one up) - Henna and amla tea

CurliDiva said:

This is the truth......I always say the brothers hair it tighter than some sistas because they keep it low maintenance

sheba125 said:
This is the truth......I always say the brothers hair it tighter than some sistas because they keep it low maintenance

True, true....but how many sistas can roll up in Corporate America looking like Cleo from "Set it Off?"
set-off3.gif

I'm just sayin....I'm...just....sayin....:look:

For me

A good moisturizing shampoo- Keracare has been my favorite lately but I still like con in the green bottle. I just bought design essentials one though

A good clarifying shampoo- Design Essentials organic cleanse is perfect

A good moisturizing conditioner- I like the ORS packets but I want to find something else as well

A good reconstructor- I like aphogee 2-min reconstructor and cb smoothe reconstructor, ors hair mayo works well too

A good protien conditioner- Duo tex works great and is affordable

A good leave in - I like sunsilk cream but I want to find a liquid detangling one

A good setting lotion- I like elasta qp foam

A good moisturizer- I like African Royale MOM and nourish and shine, I want to give ors olive oil another go

A good oil- I like almost all oils so this one is easy. I like wgo, hot six, and I want to try wonder gro sulfur oil

Back