A little bit angry with myself *pics included*

Did you let her do your hair from a braid out or did you shampoo and deep condition it prior to her flat ironing it? How did you lose so much hair in the detangling process?

I'm just curious, but since you made sure your mom had heat protectant on her hair, why did you ask her if you should put a heat protectant on your hair?

Since you want to spare your aunt's feelings, I would wait until she's gone and then do my hair over again.

I was just gonna say this. :yep:

Did you let her do your hair from a braid out or did you shampoo and deep condition it prior to her flat ironing it? How did you lose so much hair in the detangling process?

I'm just curious, but since you made sure your mom had heat protectant on her hair, why did you ask her if you should put a heat protectant on your hair?

Since you want to spare your aunt's feelings, I would wait until she's gone and then do my hair over again.

Good question. Just before my aunt came over I decided I was going to deep condition and flat-iron my mother's hair. Since the act was pre-meditated I had time to think about the process, and I made sure I applied some frizz-ease serum on her hair both during the drying process and a little bit after it dried. My mother has very fine, fragile hair and I didn't want it to break off or anything. My aunt came around the same time I started flat-ironing my mom's hair, and of course since she's a stylist and does all this for a living she was giving me some tips. But she ended up flat-ironing the majority of my mother's hair herself.

As for me, I flat-ironed out of frustration with my hair and didn't think about the consequences. I did have the sense to ask my aunt if I should wash and condition my hair before starting, but she said that since I had washed my hair not to long ago that my hair should be cleaned and conditioned enough. I didn't let her flat iron it from a braid-out. She had me comb it out prior to her flat-ironing it. As for the not applying heat-protectant, that was just a dumb move on my part.

I'm thinking the reason I lost so much hair is a combination of the fact that I hadn't combed my hair in two or three days and the fact that my aunt was using a fine toothed comb while flat-irong my hair (the chase technique, she was combing small sections). I detangled my hair before hand with a wide-toothed comb because she didn't know how to detangle my hair, lol. I lost about a golf ball sized amount of hair, which is a lot.

On a good note, for some reason my hair has softened a lot and feels smooth. Haven't washed it or deep conditioned it yet.

Last edited:
IDK, I think you might be overreacting. It looks like a nice flat iron, I think it feels hard because of the conditioner you already had in it. Anyway, if it is damaged it's damaged. It's not continually getting damaged as each moment goes by, so if you want to wait to wash it, wait, it's not going to get worse in the meantime.

I hope you feel better. I wouldn't worry about it.

:lachen: Thanks. I kind of feel this way too.

Muff - you crack me up girl! :lachen:

Yeah, it's best not to insult auntie if at all possible. Just wait until she leaves tonight. The minute she sets one TIRE on Atlantic, break out the stash.. :look:

FWIW, your hair looks really pretty, and since you take such good care of it anyway - it probably can withstand a lil bit of foolishness...

Aww, I'm sorry this happened. I'm sure it will turn out fine!

I also wanted to say I have that same spray bottle that I saw in one of the pictures!!
Is that yours? I got mine from Sally's!

danng :nono:. im sorry for what happend to you, i think your hair tooks fine but looks can be deceiving also. seeee man....thats why i dont let nobody touch my hair!! i dont care if it was paul micheal himself!!! id be like "you better eeeezzzz up off this hair befor you get hurt micheal!!.. but yea, i guess you have to ride it out. i would definitly wash and condition it..like right now!

Muff - you crack me up girl! :lachen:

Yeah, it's best not to insult auntie if at all possible. Just wait until she leaves tonight. The minute she sets one TIRE on Atlantic, break out the stash.. :look:

FWIW, your hair looks really pretty, and since you take such good care of it anyway - it probably can withstand a lil bit of foolishness...

Yeah, I crack my family up on the daily :grin:. Now all I need to do is figure out what I do that's so funny :lachen:. The only thing that's preventing me from pulling out my hair salon is the fact that my dang on shower filter died and I'm too lazy to deal with all my NG.

Aww, I'm sorry this happened. I'm sure it will turn out fine!

I also wanted to say I have that same spray bottle that I saw in one of the pictures!!
Is that yours? I got mine from Sally's!

Yeah, that's mine :blush:. I put water and a tiny bit of conditioner in it to help soften my hair and help my moisturizer absorb better. Gotta love Sally's :grin:.

danng :nono:. im sorry for what happend to you, i think your hair tooks fine but looks can be deceiving also. seeee man....thats why i dont let nobody touch my hair!! i dont care if it was paul micheal himself!!! id be like "you better eeeezzzz up off this hair befor you get hurt micheal!!.. but yea, i guess you have to ride it out. i would definitly wash and condition it..like right now!

:lachen: That has always been my philosophy, but this week-end I called myself wanting to look cute :rolleyes:. I'm telling you, the combination of my NG and my failed braid-out attempt had me looking like Chaka Khan. It was cute in the beginning, but then my curls fell and my hair starting volumizing :nono:.

it looks fine to me also,and it still looks healthy I don't see any broken pieces from your pics. it may have seemed like alot of hair lost because of all the newgrowth, the more newgrowth I have the more hair that comes out, it doesn't change the density of my hair at all just shedding because of the 2 textures.

the hair probably came out flat because you said you had a few products in it prior to the flat ironing. for flat ironing it's good to just have a heat protectant for light fluffy hair, but when you flat iron dirty (not saying your hair was dirty) or hair that has 2 many products the hair will go flat or appear stiff.

i know on here blowdrying and flatironing is the devil but it's really not that serious as long as it's something you do in moderation with a heat protectant/serum.

Back