A good leave in/heat protectant? Straightening hair for the first time in 10 years...

sparkle25

Hello!

So I haven't straighten my hair in 10 years and I am really afraid of heat damage. I'm doing this for a length check and so my friend can trim my hair to all one length.

I plan to wash, then do a protein treatment ( can I was my hair after a protein treatment? I'm using dudleys this time and it was so sticky last time and hard to rinse out), then do a deep conditoner... What do I do after that? Use a leave in/moistirizer? None of my leave ins/moisturizers have cones and I understand cones are good when it comes to using heat. If I use a leave in, what do I do after that? I have no idea what I am doing so..

Thanks ladies :)

Re: A good leave in/heat protectant? Straightening hair for the first time in 10 year

No leave-ins before a heat treatment. It will just cause your hair to revert. Just do an intensive moisture DC and add your heat protectant after. Type depends on your hair. People swear by the CHI brand others by the IC. I have fine strands and my hair turned crispy with CHI but liked the IC serum. Only using them will tell you how your hair reacts.

Afterwards no water based products or leave-ins. Just keep it oiled, otherwise it will poof up again.

Re: A good leave in/heat protectant? Straightening hair for the first time in 10 year

I used Tresseme Heat Tamer spray before my blow dry, then I used a little IC serum right before flat ironing. I did use a little bit of spray leave in after rinsing the overnight dc out.

I used Tresseme Heat Tamer spray before my blow dry, then I used a little IC serum right before flat ironing. I did use a little bit of spray leave in after rinsing the overnight dc out.

I use the same products in the exact same way you described!! **waves**

After rinsing my DC, I use It's a Ten leave-in on my still-damp hair(I used to not like this stuff before I realized it should only be applied on damp hair). It makes everything very soft when dry, and it is a heat protectant as well. I also use any serum I have (One n' Only Argan Oil, Paul Mitchell SS, Biosilk, etc.) as lightly as possible before ironing and then I'm good to go.

I use leave-ins after washing out DC and I don't have problems reverting. If anything, it should be a water based leave in if you want your hair to have bouce as the creamy leave in will weigh it down more.

I use a hydrating shampoo --> DC with cones --> use a leave-in --> add heat protectant (Aveda emollient finishing gloss with a bit of IC or Chi) --> make sure my hair is throughly dry --> then flat iron in very small sections with one pass on 350 degrees.

To maintain, I only use Aveda/IC/Chi in my hair. No water based ingredient or anything with heavy oils. The Aveda has some oil in it but it is very light.

Any body know of any natural heat protectors?

For me, that would be shea butter. I can't stand shea butter in my hair because it coats it when doing other styles. Given the coating, I figure it could act as a mild barrier to the heat.

Back