A few questions for braiding experts...

RainbowCurls

I'm thinking of getting braids, but have never had them before, and am scared of hairdressers so am thinking about trying it myself first.

After looking around on the net a bit, I found this pic (can't remember where)
braids_like_this.jpg

I'd like braids about this size, but BSL in length and purple instead of blonde (I like my purple ;) )

But I have a few questions, can anyone help me?

- Would I, as a newbie to braiding, be able to do this?

- How long would it take?

- How many packs of hair do I need? (I've got 5 of black and 1 of purple at the moment...)

- How wide should I part my hair?

- How much synthetic hair should I use per braid?

- Is kanekalon supposed to itch? I tried one braid and my scalp felt a bit irratated.

- What do you do when the plait starts to thin out as you braid? Do you add more hair...? How?

Try this website. they have some free instructional videos. If you never braided before, it will take you a few try to get the hang of it, especially if you are braiding your own hair.

Keen, which website do you mean?

oglorious1, I've seen the micro brading video of hers, it was quite helpful but not quite what I want though.

tallygirl, I found that site very helpful, the brading video especially. Only problem I had with it was she was saying to braid the hair in 1" x 1" parts but didn't show a whole head braided like that, but showed one with smaller braids.

So I'll rinse the hair in vinegar/water to stop it itching and part 1" x 1" sections.

I'm still a bit confused though.
Will 1"x1" sections give braids the same size as those above or bigger?
I'm planning to use 2x kanekalon to 1x (thickness) of my own hair, this should give me 3 even sections for braiding, right? But when I run out of my own hair, won't the braid get thinner? i.e 2/3 the previous thickness? When I see braids on other people the braids see the same thickness all the way down...

Back