kinky twists: a few questions

gcchick_07

hey all

i'm a new member (as of 10 mins ago) and i've been toying with the idea of putting in my own twists from all the easy how to yotube instructional videos.

but i have a few burning questions from you knowledgeable ladies:

1. what kind of hair is the best for this? i keep seeing marley braid (i guess brand isn't important since many brands have a "marley" version)
2. what products/tips do you suggest for maintaining them?
3. would you suggest twisting to start or braiding to start?
4. do i need to do a protein treatment before i put them in?

i did do a search (i've seen some verbally lashed for not) but all those threads seem to be a bit old, some of the newest being 2008. i just know i'm a poor college student who would love the advice. :wave:

Hi, Welcome to LHCF. I'm sure you will enjoy it here.

This is my Kinky twist tutorial
http://www.youtube.com/user/ladyair22#p/a/u/1/hA5EC_5XPEU
And this is the album where I documented installing them.
http://public.fotki.com/Mooks-hair/2009-photos-almost--1/2009-photos-almost-1/img3458.html#media

1. what kind of hair is the best for this? i keep seeing marley braid (i guess brand isn't important since many brands have a "marley" version)
I used Bobbi Boss Jamaica Braid Hair. (I won't use this kind again though because the pre divided strands have more hair in them than I would like. Also I'd like to find a brand that is a little softer. This kind was very coarse.
2. what products/tips do you suggest for maintaining them?
African Royale Braid spray (Not African Pride)
And Infusium diluted with water. Also, once a week, you can use a warm wet wash cloth to gently clean your scalp. This helps prevent buildup and it also stimulates the folicles. (scalp massages are always good.

3. would you suggest twisting to start or braiding to start?
I twisted to start...that is what my tutorial shows.
4. do i need to do a protein treatment before i put them in?
You don't have to but you can if you wish and if you feel that your hair needs it. but be sure to follow it up with a moisturizing conditioner.
Also, I like to do mine on blow dried hair, I like the end result better when the hair is blow dried first.

My twists are about 1 month old in this photo.
IMG_3497-vi.jpg

Last edited:
thanks so much! i've been lurking since may '09 i thought it was about time

also, i have relaxed hair (last relaxer december 17ish) and i was wondering if that would affect the hair type i use/process?

I know this is an old thread, but I bumped it up. Thought it would be useful to someone else. I had my kinky twists put in my dd's hair, they look okay-all of the twists are not uniform looking. Next time, I'll keep my $$$ & learn from Mooks' tutorial posted above. I watched the girl doing them, but could not figure how she started the base.

Thanks Mook.

hey all

i'm a new member (as of 10 mins ago) and i've been toying with the idea of putting in my own twists from all the easy how to yotube instructional videos.

but i have a few burning questions from you knowledgeable ladies:

1. what kind of hair is the best for this? i keep seeing marley braid (i guess brand isn't important since many brands have a "marley" version) I use Janet hair.
2. what products/tips do you suggest for maintaining them? I mist the portion that contains my hair with water and run coconut oil through them a couple of times a week. I don't use too much because I'm natural and my hair will revert and start to look wretched.
3. would you suggest twisting to start or braiding to start? I start mine with a braid.
4. do i need to do a protein treatment before i put them in? I don't. My hair doesn't need protein. I've tried it and my hair didn't like it. I'm very gentle with my hair so I haven't experienced any breakage or whatnot.

i did do a search (i've seen some verbally lashed for not) but all those threads seem to be a bit old, some of the newest being 2008. i just know i'm a poor college student who would love the advice. :wave:

It took the second time for me to learn from my first time mistakes and i definitely see progress. I'm looking forward to the third set.

Hey, hon! Look no further!
Here's my kinky twist install video

Now to extinguish those questions!

1. what kind of hair is the best for this? i keep seeing marley braid (i guess brand isn't important since many brands have a "marley" version) I used Janet Collection Marley braid and I really like them but I have used Afro Kinky bulk by Expressions and other brands before this!

2. what products/tips do you suggest for maintaining them? I would say, have a spray bottle of a water and conditioner to spray your hair daily! Here's a video on moisturize with the spray or with a sponge

3. would you suggest twisting to start or braiding to start? I now do both, the twist start in the front as it looks more natural, and the braids in the back as I don't redo those as often!

4. do i need to do a protein treatment before i put them in? A protein treatment is always good between installs but if your hair is balanced anyway, you can just add some protein daily in you moisturizing spray, like Infusium 23 Original formula!

Thank You Mook and Lola. I have done kinky twists once before but had a hard time starting them. Your videos have given me a better idea.

Back