a few "is it true" questions about going to the Dominican Salon...

Caramela

1) Do you HAVE to get a blow-out? Can you get a wet set only?
2) Is it true they charge you by the length of your hair.. charging more for longer lengths?
3) Do they trim or cut your hair?
4) How much cheaper are they really?
5) Can you bring your own products?
6) Do they apply relaxers?
7) Will care from a Dom Salon really damage your hair within time?

(feel free to answer any or all questions you know the answers to) TIA :yep:

1) Do you HAVE to get a blow-out? Can you get a wet set only? no I rarely get a blow out. I just get a wash and set. No heat for me:nono:
2) Is it true they charge you by the length of your hair.. charging more for longer lengths? yes a lot of them do
3) Do they trim or cut your hair? they can if you like. The salon I go to never asks if I want a trim, I had to ask them for it
4) How much cheaper are they really? im in NY so I pay $15 for a wash and set, 30+ for relaxers
5) Can you bring your own products? yes you can. I do it all the time but since I being my own conditioner they charge me $2 for sitting under the dryer:rolleyes:
6) Do they apply relaxers? yes but I dont like the way they apply them. of course thats not all dominicans but just at the salon I go to, they overlap too much IMO
7) Will care from a Dom Salon really damage your hair within time? if they overlap the relaxer and you get your hair blown out very week, like I see a lot of women in there do, then yeah you'll probably get damage

1) Do you HAVE to get a blow-out? No
Can you get a wet set only? What is this?
2) Is it true they charge you by the length of your hair.. charging more for longer lengths? Yes
3) Do they trim or cut your hair? If you want them to otherwise no
4) How much cheaper are they really? VERY I pay 10-20 dollars to have my hair washed and blown out
5) Can you bring your own products? I do every time
6) Do they apply relaxers? If you want them to
7) Will care from a Dom Salon really damage your hair within time? If you allow them to use fine toothed combs, wash your hair with their cheap drying shampoo and blow your roots out every time then yes it can damage your hair. However it can really help with your hair growth if you avoid such things.

1.) Do you HAVE to get a blow-out? Can you get a wet set only? Nope you can just a roller set.
2) Is it true they charge you by the length of your hair.. charging more for longer lengths? Some salons do...
3) Do they trim or cut your hair? In my experience, I find they really like to "even" your hair - meaning cut.
4) How much cheaper are they really? You can get a wash and set for 15 or 20 bucks...I have even seen a place advertise 10 bucks...but it's usually for days and times when people are at work.
5) Can you bring your own products? yup you can
6) Do they apply relaxers? yup they do
7) Will care from a Dom Salon really damage your hair within time? Some people say yes because of the constant heat...but again everything depends. You can bring (my salon uses chi) your own heat protectors, etc

I go to Nena at Lilly's in Atlanta.... Here is my experience from going to that salon.
1) Do you HAVE to get a blow-out? Can you get a wet set only? You don't have to get a blow out if you don't want. At the place that I go to, the wet sets look a lot better once they blow out the roots/ style the curl.:yep: I have never seen anyone just walk out with a decent style that didn't have at least a little bit of the curl blown out.
2) Is it true they charge you by the length of your hair.. charging more for longer lengths? I have never heard this, but my hair isn't long yet, so it hasn't been an issue. I know they charge more if you're natural.
3) Do they trim or cut your hair? If you want them to.
4) How much cheaper are they really? I go to Nena at Lilly's. My total comes to $35 (25 for a wash + 10 for a dc) I NEVER go there without getting a dc. Too much heat for me not to :nono:
5) Can you bring your own products? Yes. $5 or $10 (it's been a while, but I think it's $5) extra for your own DC. Not sure about shampoos.
6) Do they apply relaxers? Yes
7) Will care from a Dom Salon really damage your hair within time? Depends. I realized my hair gets damaged if I use direct heat once per week for long periods of time. I thought that this only applied to the flat irons. Well I found out that it also applies with the blow dryer. (for me) When I was going once a week, my hair looked nice. After a month and a half of going weekly and not washing my hair in between, It wasn't pretty. When I went back to doing my own hair, there were splits everywhere :nono:. So now I only go towards the end of a stretch (last 2 weeks) . Different strokes for different folks though. Every Thursday that I went I would see some of the same people getting their hair done, and it was long and thick. So I guess it just depends on the person.

Good thread :yep: I also curious to know if anyone goes weekly and DOES NOT have damage. If so, do you wash/cowash in between visits?

Last edited:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You dont have to get them blown out. When I do splurge on a Dom salon (I'm in Silver Spring, MD and they charge me $40-$50...yes you read that right) I always get it blown out (and blown out doesnt mean they are taking away the curl) I have curly hair and I grew up on Cali Press and Curls so I cant stand not to have my roots layin down.
2) Is it true they charge you by the length of your hair.. charging more for longer lengths? My place charges me by the length and then they say "are you natural" I say "yes" they say "ohhh thats so great...thats extra" :(
3) Do they trim or cut your hair? There are only 2 people that I let near my hear with sizzors. Neither one works in a domican shop (btw I never see the Cosmotoligy licenses posted in domican shops...)
4) How much cheaper are they really? i can get my hair pressed and trimmed for the same price. When I make my decision on who to go to I decide on how long I want it to last. My hair last longer with I go to the dominicans. But oh how I love the way my hair looks when I have a cali press.
5) Can you bring your own products? You can but I never did. Now that I've joined LHCF and I'm noticing how different products feel in my hair I might start.
6) Do they apply relaxers? Yes.
7) Will care from a Dom Salon really damage your hair within time? Idk.

I called one near me. They charge $28 & UP (whatever UP means) for a wash and set... does that sound right?

I called one near me. They charge $28 & UP (whatever UP means) for a wash and set... does that sound right?
Where are you from? I guess they charge according to location. Im in jersey and where I live they are a dime a dozen so the prices are around 10-20 dollars. If there arent that many where you are then they will charge more.

1) Do you HAVE to get a blow-out? Can you get a wet set only? You can just get a wetset but like someone else said, it looks nicer when your roots are either blown or flat ironed straight.

2) Is it true they charge you by the length of your hair.. charging more for longer lengths? I have heard that but I'm a little past SL so I just pay the minimum.

3) Do they trim or cut your hair? Only if you ask. I have found that they take direction well (if they understand english) although one girl trimmed my hair that didn't speak english and she did it exactly how I wanted it from me showing her how much to cut with my fingers.

4) How much cheaper are they really? When I go, I pay $25, 18 for a shampoo and $7 for a DC. The same thing in a regular AA salon is at least $45-$55.

5) Can you bring your own products? Yes. The one I go to doesn't charge extra if you do. I take my own Salerm 21 B5 and heat protectant. I don't care for their poo or DC so I'm gonna take those next time I go too.

6) Do they apply relaxers? Yes but I wouldn't let them relax MY hair. :nono: They have all kinds too..dominican and AA relaxers.

7) Will care from a Dom Salon really damage your hair within time? Probably but I only go once every 3 months (around the time I check for length). I get my roots blown and that's too much heat to use on a regular basis. Plus that and the round brushing is hard on my hair and scalp.

Last edited:
You ladies are lucky. Most dominican salons I go to have a sign saying that they do NOT work in virgin hair (unrelaxed). they dont even say they will charge extra cuz they wont touch it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You dont have to get them blown out. When I do splurge on a Dom salon (I'm in Silver Spring, MD and they charge me $40-$50...yes you read that right) I always get it blown out (and blown out doesnt mean they are taking away the curl) I have curly hair and I grew up on Cali Press and Curls so I cant stand not to have my roots layin down.
2) Is it true they charge you by the length of your hair.. charging more for longer lengths? My place charges me by the length and then they say "are you natural" I say "yes" they say "ohhh thats so great...thats extra" :(
3) Do they trim or cut your hair? There are only 2 people that I let near my hear with sizzors. Neither one works in a domican shop (btw I never see the Cosmotoligy licenses posted in domican shops...)
4) How much cheaper are they really? i can get my hair pressed and trimmed for the same price. When I make my decision on who to go to I decide on how long I want it to last. My hair last longer with I go to the dominicans. But oh how I love the way my hair looks when I have a cali press.
5) Can you bring your own products? You can but I never did. Now that I've joined LHCF and I'm noticing how different products feel in my hair I might start.
6) Do they apply relaxers? Yes.
7) Will care from a Dom Salon really damage your hair within time? Idk.

when I was in MD, I was told the same price. I couldnt pay that much for it, especially knowing that in NY, its more than half that price.

You ladies are lucky. Most dominican salons I go to have a sign saying that they do NOT work in virgin hair (unrelaxed). they dont even say they will charge extra cuz they wont touch it.

I'm 3C/4A and I texlax. My hair has some texture and isnt bone straight and they never said anything to me. The one I go to does do virgin hair but they charge double.

Where are you from? I guess they charge according to location. Im in jersey and where I live they are a dime a dozen so the prices are around 10-20 dollars. If there arent that many where you are then they will charge more.

Baltimore MD

1) Do you HAVE to get a blow-out? NO.
Can you get a wet set only? YES.
2) Is it true they charge you by the length of your hair.. charging more for longer lengths? YES.
3) Do they trim or cut your hair? YES. IN FACT, I PREFER HIM TO TRIM MY HAIR OVER ANY OTHER STYLIST, INCLUDING MY REGULAR JAMAICAN STYLIST.
4) How much cheaper are they really? UMMM, THIS IS DEPENDENT UPON WHERE YOU LIVE. I LIVE DOWN SOUTH AND THE CHEAPEST I EVER PAID WAS $25. THE MOST WAS $115 (RELAXER/DC/TRIM). I USUALLY PAY $35-45. WHEN I'M IN NYC, I PAY MUCH LESS.
5) Can you bring your own products? I NEVER TRIED, BUT I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYONE DO IT.
6) Do they apply relaxers? YES, BUT I DON'T GET THEM THERE.
7) Will care from a Dom Salon really damage your hair within time? IF YOU DO IT EXCESSIVELY, YES. I GO USUALLY ONCE EVERY MONTH AND A HALF OR SO.

1) Do you HAVE to get a blow-out? Can you get a wet set only? In my experience..they will always do a blow-out in the end
2) Is it true they charge you by the length of your hair.. charging more for longer lengths? Some days they may have a special price for all lengths. like it will be $12 for a blow out on Thursday not matter the length. every other day its like 15+
3) Do they trim or cut your hair? My people cut at first, but after going there for a few years..they learned what I meant when i said t-r-i-m
4) How much cheaper are they really? who knows?! i haven't been to a black-owned salon in forever
5) Can you bring your own products? never tried...
6) Do they apply relaxers? yup..very well too...when i was still getting them
7) Will care from a Dom Salon really damage your hair within time? if you do like every 1-2 weeks i feel like it might overtime..they use a sh*tload of heat and not enough heat protectant IMO

OT: visit my blog!!!

1) Do you HAVE to get a blow-out? No,you do not have to!....u can ask to have your roots blown ONLYCan you get a wet set only? Yes
2) Is it true they charge you by the length of your hair.. charging more for longer lengths? Yes,if you are getting a relaxer,but a regular wash and set ,no
3) Do they trim or cut your hair? only if you ask! its always best to state EXACTLY what you want before they "lay hands" on you
4) How much cheaper are they really? I am in NY,home of the Dominican wash and sets,so I only pay about $10-$15
5) Can you bring your own products? Yes,highly recommended unless you want them to put small amounts of condish on your hair:nono:
6) Do they apply relaxers? Yep...I like how they do mine...some complain,but I've never had a problem:grin:
7) Will care from a Dom Salon really damage your hair within time?
No I don't think so,you have to find a stylist that listens to you and knows exactly what you want.

Hope that helped:grin:

No, you don't have to get a blow out. I never get one unless I have a lot of new growth and want that sleek look. I just get my roots blown out, or have then pin it up in a "doobie" or wear the curls wrap or pincurl my hair at home.

2) Is it true they charge you by the length of your hair.. charging more for longer lengths?
Yes, but your hair has to be pretty long- BSL or longer at the salon I go to in order to get charged more.

3) Do they trim or cut your hair?
They will, but they gave me a CUT when I asked for a trim, so now I only trust them to do my bangs.

4) How much cheaper are they really?
Yes. The salon in DC I go to is $35 w/ deep condition versus $55 in the same area at a black salon & extra for the deep condition.

5) Can you bring your own products?
Yes, but I don't.

6) Do they apply relaxers?
Yes. I get my Mizani relaxer done there since I moved to DC.

7) Will care from a Dom Salon really damage your hair within
time?
No, not as long as you care for your own hair in between visits and resist getting the "blowout" all the time. Deep condition before every treatment.

HTH

Oh, and the blowdryers are NOT THAT HOT!! lol People need to stop being dramatic.

oh, there is a cheaper shop here in DC that my friend goes to- I think they charge $25 w/ the student discount, but I trust my stylist now. I'm sticking with her or doing my sets at home.

I didn't know you were in my area. WHAT A SURPRISE!
Dae, that's the one that I was posting about in that other thread...

Yeah, girl. So do you like this salon? If you had to rate their service what would you give them? Also, how long did it take for them to do your hair?

Oh, and the blowdryers are NOT THAT HOT!! lol People need to stop being dramatic.

girl, i got a SERIOUS burn on my scalp from one of those blowdryers...maybe they all use different wattages?

Yeah, they are high is Silver Spring! One place quoted me $45 :ohwell:

:nono: that's crazy...everything is higher out there. :rolleyes:

I didn't know you were in my area. WHAT A SURPRISE!
Dae, that's the one that I was posting about in that other thread...

ETA: oh I remember! so they did a good job 'cept for the pincurls...

Last edited:
girl, i got a SERIOUS burn on my scalp from one of those blowdryers...maybe they all use different wattages?

:nono: that's crazy...everything is higher out there. :rolleyes:

oh ok...i have to look at it again. i forgot what you said. :look:
CO SIGNING!
Those daggone dryers are HELLA HOT!
Caramela, honestly, I can see them charging you extra for all them hurrs you got on your scalp...

I'm Dominican so my opinion may be biased LOL Just giving you the heads up

My answers:
1) Do you HAVE to get a blow-out? Can you get a wet set only? The places I go to will give you a different hairstyle or technique if you ask for it.
2) Is it true they charge you by the length of your hair.. charging more for longer lengths? Yes, but only if your hair is really long. Or if they think your natural/long hair will take longer to do. I will ask in advance for my daughters who both have long hair. I will also ask for myself because I have natural hair.
3) Do they trim or cut your hair? Again it depends on where you go. They know better than to even ASK me to do either. I've had people cut too much. I am a stylists nightmare tho because I'm holding up a mirror and asking them to show me every strand they cut. That's if I even say yes LOL
4) How much cheaper are they really? I've only been to Dominican salons so I can't really say. I went to an AA salon once about 17 yrs ago and I don't remember how much I was charged. Here in Mass I can pay anywhere from $25-$40 depending on the day and who I go to.
5) Can you bring your own products? I usually do. I let them know too. If they get offended I don't care.
6) Do they apply relaxers? Yes they do
7) Will care from a Dom Salon really damage your hair within time? I used to say no, but now that I think about it I would have to say yes. If you go too frequently, all that heat can damage your hair. I only go twice a year now if that. I used to go WEEKLY and wonder why my hair was never past shoulder length LOL Ask for a heat protectant and make sure they rollerset and not just blowdry.

Back