a few "is it true" questions about going to the Dominican Salon...

CO SIGNING!
Those daggone dryers are HELLA HOT!
Caramela, honestly, I can see them charging you extra for all them hurrs you got on your scalp...

They get mad at me sometimes cuz I get out of the dryer and lower the temperature. They can get mad if they want, but I'm the one looking like this smilie :burning:

1) Do you HAVE to get a blow-out? Can you get a wet set only?
2) Is it true they charge you by the length of your hair.. charging more for longer lengths?
3) Do they trim or cut your hair?
4) How much cheaper are they really?
5) Can you bring your own products?
6) Do they apply relaxers?
7) Will care from a Dom Salon really damage your hair within time?

(feel free to answer any or all questions you know the answers to) TIA :yep:

Yes, much more economical hence, the popularity. Some might charge by length but more often by texture. If you are natural and want a blowout, they will double the price. They are salons like any other. Call them first to ask if they will work with your relaxer line. And since they do great styles, yes, they will trim your ends if raggedy and uneven. Rollersets are how the blowout is done. You can get a variety of different rollerset styles. Lastly, if your hair is relaxed, blowouts can be healthy but depends upon how they do them. Sometimes they will flat iron your hair if that's what you wish. Those dryers are so hot, the smoke fills the air. Hair will turn out beautifully. But you will need deep conditioning often. Let them do that as well. I say, if you are natural and just want to try the blowout (if your hair will straighten out soley by that), be careful because the curl might take awhile to return.

I think that if one is hesitant about the technique of the Dominican blowout, definitely use the Ethiopian salons. They care much more for the integrity of the hair. That's for folks in the MD/VA/DC area. There are quite a few of them. Lots of people have switched.

girl, i got a SERIOUS burn on my scalp from one of those blowdryers...maybe they all use different wattages?

:nono: that's crazy...everything is higher out there. :rolleyes:

ETA: oh I remember! so they did a good job 'cept for the pincurls...

I agree with you. I don't think people are being dramatic. The average Dominican salon uses a special dryer that they got either from Italy or the Dominican Republic. They are hot as hell. That's no lie. Smoke coming off the hair, filling the air.

I agree with you. I don't think people are being dramatic. The average Dominican salon uses a special dryer that they got either from Italy or the Dominican Republic. They are hot as hell. That's no lie. Smoke coming off the hair, filling the air.
The thing I will say about Tereza's is, that the first thing I noticed when I walked in was that the place didn't smell like burnt hair. The smoking was minimal, but still those dryers are hotter than ANY home dryer any of us have by leaps and bounds....:burning::burning::burning:

I co sign..those dryers are probably the closest to hell I want to get:lachen:Both the hand held dryers and the sit under dryers be hot.

I think that if one is hesitant about the technique of the Dominican blowout, definitely use the Ethiopian salons. They care much more for the integrity of the hair. That's for folks in the MD/VA/DC area. There are quite a few of them. Lots of people have switched.

I don't know anything about Ethiopian salons. Is their technique similar? I would imagine naturals may have a better experience there.

:yep::yep::yep:

Do tell. I've never heard of it before. Are there any in Baltimore? What are their prices like? How does their technique differ from the Dominican salons?

The closest Ethiopian salons are in DC. Starting around $35.

Name of salons and addresses, please :grin:.

:lachen:But, seriously, how can I locate an Ethiopian salon in DC? I, too, would like to know how their technique differs, so I can learn it :spinning:.

girl, i got a SERIOUS burn on my scalp from one of those blowdryers...maybe they all use different wattages?

Oh my! Sorry to hear that. Yeah, they are all probably a little bit different.

It may be because my hair is shorter that they don't put my heat up as high under the hood dryer. When it's really crowded, they put the ladies with the longest hair under the Pibbs dryers first & some of us short haired ladies under the other dryers (they have like 3 that aren't Pibbs).

I also don't get my roots blown out that often, so the hand dryer head doesn't seem that bad to me.

yes, yes. names and addresses please. :) I cant afford the dominicans in silver spring.

Name of salons and addresses, please :grin:.

:lachen:But, seriously, how can I locate an Ethiopian salon in DC? I, too, would like to know how their technique differs, so I can learn it :spinning:.

Back