8 Month Braid Challenge anyone?

I just put my kinky twist extensions and I plan to wear braids up until the Spring. So I'll keep my hair braided until 1st weekend of April....it's gonna be hard because I do like messing in my hair..it's been just 2 weeks since I had these braids in and I was already thinking to take them down this weekend because I missed playing in my hair but I overcame the urge. So the braid challenge will be 5 months for me.

[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
[ QUOTE ]
lovelymissyoli said:
Wow...I just got my hair braided and I would love to join this challenge but 8 months is a little steep for me now that I've got the hang of my hair...can I modify the length of this challenge for myself?

[/ QUOTE ]

of course, edit it as you wish but try for at least 4 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay then...count me in! /images/graemlins/clap.gif

Okay I will be joining this challenge the at the beginning of the new Year...after this week I will be getting my hair done this weekend then after that it will be braid time until JULY my wedding is August 20th so I am joining the challenge...GOOD LUCk

I'm in, I've been doing the bun challenge and I need a serious break from the bun. I just got these microbraids yesterday and I'll have them for two months, take them out give my hair a month of rest and rebraid. This is the smallest they've ever been and I'm praying I'm not bald when I take these down, my hair has done well with braids before so I hope there's no problem.

I am in! I just took out my braids that I had in for 3 months and I plan to get Senegalese twists next Saturday. I am up for a 8 month braid challenge!

I'm in I got my hair braided last month. this is my 3rd week. I'm trying to keep mine til may at the least. that will be 24 weeks. I just hope my newgrowth doesn't tourcher /images/graemlins/whip.gif /images/graemlins/spank.gif me as bad as it usually does!

Hi ladies! /images/graemlins/wave.gif

I never post here, always lurk. I am in on this challenge! This is my first challenge (I think..). /images/graemlins/clap.gif

I have braids now, I did them during Thanksgiving break. I plan on taking them out the weekend before MLK, having a break and putting them back in from February to April.

How much of a break do you need in between? What products and methods do you all use to prevent tangling and to keep your hair moist? Right now, the only thing I'm using is Surge.

I am new here also but you can count me in because I want to stretch my perm until the end of July which happens to be my graduation. In between those months. i won't be able to play with my hair as I'll have myriad responsibilities.
I just took my braids out last night. I am 8 weeks post relaxer.

I'm in... and it's so funny that I'm just now seeing this because I ordered the GrowAfroHairLong braid tape this morning so I could learn to braid myself.

Now, I gotta modify it some: I've been in braids for a month (I just now took them out and I'm getting them done next week). I'm going to do the GAHL technique, so that will be 2months on, 2 off with the braids. I'll go at least through August, but I hope to stick with it all year /images/graemlins/trampoline.gif

Go us... Go us /images/graemlins/weird.gif
this is the first time in a few years that i will b getting my hair braided... i cannot wait until january /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif

Thanks for starting this CH. Miss_Brown I am thinking about ordering her tapes also. I can't wait until January. Oh and what type of regimen will you guys follow? I will was every 3 days, spray with surge 2x a day and take my vitamins daily. My hair tends to grow fast in braids so I will probably redo them every 6 to 8 weeks. Take care Q

Last edited:
I'm a part of the original braid challenge, and I have been getting my hair braided since January 2004. I was thinking about relaxing /images/graemlins/fallenangel.gif my hair next month...

Now that I see another braid challenge, I will postpone relaxing my hair until July 2005...a month before my wedding!

I'M IN! THANKS LADIES FOR RESTORING MY FAITH IN BRAIDS LOL!

^^^What type of braids do you have? Cornrows? If so then how often do you get them redone. I was thinking every two weeks so I can properly condition.

Starting in january i will b calling all you ladies out and we will keep in touch about every 3-4 weeks to tell of our progress/new styles/regimen, etc.

My regimen will consist of washing every week (stocking cap method) and spraying daily with s-curl (or braid spray)/surge and wgo...hence the need for the wkly washing /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
queeny20 said:
Thanks for starting this CH. Miss_Brown I am thinking about ordering her tapes also. I can't wait until January. Oh and what type of regimen will you guys follow? I will was every 3 days, spray with surge 2x a day and take my vitamins daily. My hair tends to grow fast in braids so I will probably redo them every 6 to 8 weeks. Take care Queneesha

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll let you know how the tapes are /images/graemlins/smile.gif My braid regimen is embarassingly simple - I rarely wash them (if I'm wearing cornrows, it's only for 3 weeks to a month anyway), I take my vitamins, and I apply a thick moisturizer to the length of the braids every night so my hair doesn't dry out. There was a time when I was Surging daily, but that just took too much effort /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
WhipEffectz1 said:
^^^What type of braids do you have? Cornrows? If so then how often do you get them redone. I was thinking every two weeks so I can properly condition.

[/ QUOTE ]

I alternate between cornrows and boxbraids. I currently have senagalese twists (two strand twists) which are small-a few twists have unraveled, so I may keep these until the first week of the New Year...you can check 'em out in my hair journey fotki album...they are the last few pics!

I get my hair done every 4-6 weeks. It depends on how often I use Surge on my scalp. If I use 2 weeks after I get my hair done, my new growth would be sooo much and I would have to take it out sooner /images/graemlins/spinning.gif

I'm new to this board and I appreciate the the tips and motivations. Whenever I take my braids out/down after 2months I immediately get a perm afterwards I've heard that it wasn't healthy for me to do that I should wait awhile and my hair is 4a so in between time how can I control the thickness without getting a perm so soon after removing my braids???

I'm in. I plan on doing the Crown and Glory until I'm waistlength. Which will likely take twice as much time but this would be a good start. I plan to braid the second week of march

I'm in, guys! I just got my braids in yesterday, and plan to keep them in for 3 or 4 months. I know I'm a little late to the party, but I'm glad the hair is back in braids.

Count me in too!
I put my braids in this past weekend and will wear braids for the next 14 months. Take the braids out every two months and recondition and then put them back in.

Here is the run down on my braid regimen:

Homemade braid spray:
Nettle
honey
4 drops of peppermint essential oil

Spray daily w/homemade braid spray(mornings)
MTG conditioner on scalp daily at night time.

After wearing braids for two months have my hair deep conditoned w/DRC-28 followed by a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner by my hair stylist and then back in braids asap.

What do you ladies think about my braid regimen? I haven't implemented the DRC-28 because I just started. So wish me luck!
If you ladies have any suggestions please feel free to let me know.
Thanks
bri123

I'm in also. I've been wearing braids since October 12, 2004. I will definitely wear braids throughout the summer and if I can stand it I would like to wear them until the end of 2005. When I was in high school (about 10 years ago) I wore braids for a year and had A LOT of growth. This time around I'm using Surge daily and Glover's once a week, so I hope to have even better results. I usually keep it braided for about 2 1/2 months, take it down, wash & deep condition, then get it braided again.

Back