7 months progress/BKT results

misscrystal

Nappy and Happy
As my siggy says, I have had quite a few setbacks along my hair journey :ohwell:

The latest one was in early 2009 when my hair was all but destroyed by incompetent hair braiders. Beforehand, my hair was texlaxed and about 2 inches from APL.
When I took the braids down in that summer and cut out all the damage and breakage, I was left with hair a little longer than nape length.

jun2009_001.jpg

My hair was so choppy and uneven that decided to go back to braids to grow out my hair (this time using someone who knew what she was doing). I kept my hair in braids for seven months and just took them down last week.

My hair is now 60% natural and 40% texlaxed. I BKT'd so that my new growth could blend better with my texlaxed hair and then trimmed about half an inch off my ends.
Here are my results:

jan10_001.jpg

jan10_002.jpg

My hair isn't quite as long as it was before my setback, but it has thickened out considerably.

Here's a comparison pic:

jan10_comparison.jpg

I've decided to transition now to natural--no more relaxers or texlaxers. I will continue using BKT, though to help make my 4a/b curls and waves more manageable.

Great progress!!

Just curious how did the former braiders mess up your hair?
I am considering paying someone to braid my hair that's why I want to know
thanks

Great progress!!

Just curious how did the former braiders mess up your hair?
I am considering paying someone to braid my hair that's why I want to know
thanks

Well, I made the mistake of letting one of the women in the braid shop wash my hair for me. She washed my hair like she was washing a bucket of clothes, used a thimble full of conditioner on my hair, and proceeded to dry it with a dirty towel by rubbing it all over my head.
My texlaxed curls turned into a dry, knotted mess. They then detangled it with a tiny fine-tooth comb (believe me I searched that shop high and low for a wide-tooth comb. There were none to be found :nono: )

They ripped out so much of my hair that when I finally took down the braids it was a broken, thin mess :(

OMGOODNESS sorry to herethat happened to you,
thanks for sharing your story, and showing us you beautiful road to recovery:yep:

Unfortunately the guidelines for passing stateboard don't require stylist to have to know how to "take care" of black hair, it's not even required that you know how to do black hair to get a license. Which is why a lot stylist only know what they were thaught by mama and'em when it comes to black hair.:nono:

Well, I made the mistake of letting one of the women in the braid shop wash my hair for me. She washed my hair like she was washing a bucket of clothes, used a thimble full of conditioner on my hair, and proceeded to dry it with a dirty towel by rubbing it all over my head.
My texlaxed curls turned into a dry, knotted mess. They then detangled it with a tiny fine-tooth comb (believe me I searched that shop high and low for a wide-tooth comb. There were none to be found :nono: )

They ripped out so much of my hair that when I finally took down the braids it was a broken, thin mess :(

Back