5 year anniversary update...w/ pics (long post)...<VBG>

Faith

Quick recap. Nov 20,1999 I decided that I didn't want my relaxed hair anymore so I cut it all and started over with 1/2" of hair. I went through years of braids and interlocks and the occasional weave..mostly braids. And I had a few self inflicted setbacks. My main aim was SOFT hair....my own whale as I like to call it. 5 years later I think I've arrived /images/graemlins/laugh.gif My hair is softer and longer than I thought possible and it's texturized. I'm wiser now....much, much wiser. Thanks to women here and at BHCAB, and my old friends at BHSGO and even BHC. It's been a rewarding journey and I'm looking forward to what's next.

My anniversary yesterday was full of suprises. Lets' just say I'm in love with my new favorite conditoner...WOWZA /images/graemlins/grin.gif
This weekend being my BDay weekend I decided to flatiron my hair so I wanted to make sure it was well moisturized. And boy oh boy was it ever. I couldn't stop touching it and I had other people touching it to see how soft it was and they were all commenting on how soft it was. Felt like butter /images/graemlins/grin.gif
Well here are my steps.
1. Preshampoo treatment on dry hair with kemi oyl and honey (my hair felt great)
2. Shampooed with AO white camellia and jasmine (this shampoo was AWESOME...great even for people doing CO washes. No suds and it mademy hair very soft...it's full of oils and herbs...nothing else /images/graemlins/clap.gif)
3. I then applied AO GPB
4. Rinsed and applied NTM daily deep conditioner...my new FAVORITE conditioner...a rival for humecto's affections /images/graemlins/laugh.gif
5. I then towel dried and applied NTM silk touch leave in....WOW /images/graemlins/shocked.gif, kemi oyl and NTM healing serum...more WOW /images/graemlins/shocked.gif At this stage my hair was just UBER soft...it was unreal. I couldn't stop grinning /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I didn't bother doing the emergencee treatment like I said I would because I'm finding increase in moisture is cutting down on my breakage. I had about 11 breaks which is not bad for 7 day average. I don't want to put too much protein in there and have it cause other problems...I figure the intense, GPB and 5 in 1 are enough.

All was fine and dandy overall until I decided to flatiron. The iron wasn't hot but I think just the heat factor doesn't agree with my hair. The flatiron snapped about 8 hairs in one section. I opened the iron and all these hairs were in them so as of Nov 20,2004 I'm not using heat again...no flatironing ever again. I'll try the banding thing instead. Who does that method? How do you find it? Anywho, my hair felt better before I used the heat. And the weird thing was I had checked my ends prior to flatironing and I had no splits but when I got back from going out and checked my ends(same area I checked before) I had splits. WTH is that about? /images/graemlins/confused.gif I snipped them off but I'm thinking myhair really does not like heat at all...in any form. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see my ends before and after. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

So, all in all I'm VERY happy with my hair. I put it back into the baggie as soon as I got home last night. Since removing the braids 15 weeks ago I have gotten about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2"..not bad considering it had virtually stopped growing in the braids. I have about 2-2.5" left and I'm set. I only get about 1/4"-1/3" /month so I hoping for sometime next year. I'm thinking I may keep it going after that but who knows /images/graemlins/cool.gif

First, happy anniversary and what beautiful hair!! I'm happy to hear your hair was a success, especially since I am about to try AO GPB. I hope I have the same results as you. I too love NTM Silk Leave-in and honey and oil as pre-shampoo treatments /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Much success with the no-heat regimen and keep up the good work, Faith! /images/graemlins/clap.gif

Nice hair growing congratulations, you'll be bra strap in not time, but thanks for sharing you story, it was very inspiring...

[ QUOTE ]
oglorious1 said:
Nice hair growing congratulations, you'll be bra strap in no time

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh Lawd, if that's not bra strap, I might as well hang it up! Very inspiration hair growing story. Congratulations on your hair growing success! /images/graemlins/clap.gif

Thanks ladies /images/graemlins/smile.gif
oglorious1, it is past bra strap. I'm aiming for waist length now.

[ QUOTE ]
Faith, I was checking out your new pics in your album. Your hair is looking good girl and is it ever growing! what kind of texturizer do you use and do you use the baggie method most days? I need to check out your regime. Do you take vits? Have you been steaming your hair as well? Whatever you are doing it is working for you. Keep the progress pics coming. Bonjour

[/ QUOTE ] Thanks again Mahalialee.. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
To answer your questions...
I use affirm mild for 13 minutes. The last one I did didn't really take since I only combed it so my roots are still "afro-y" about 40-50% straight.
I do the baggie 98% of the time. Been "baggying" for a couple months now and I'm finally seeing length. My ends are thankful /images/graemlins/laugh.gif But once in a while I do an up style without the baggie...
I take Brewers Yeast, Omega 3-6-9 and when I remember a multi vit. ms_jennifer said to try GNC ultranourish hair but I can't find it here yet. I'm hoping it'll bump me to 1/2" a month..not much I know but it's more than I have ever gotten a month /images/graemlins/laugh.gif
And no, I have never steamed. What are the benefits of steaming?

Hey buddy!!!! /images/graemlins/wave.gif

Yay!!! /images/graemlins/clap.gif Soft hair accomplished! I knew you'd figure out the right combo. Didn't I tell you you'd like the Neutrogena products? I'm so happy for you, and you know (as always) your hair is fabulous!

Happy Hair Anniversary and Happy Belated BDAY!!! /images/graemlins/dance7.gif

Your hair is looking GREAT as always! I'm glad you reached
your goal of soft hair.

My hair can’t withstand heat either. I learned my lesson the hard way too many times. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Happy Anniversary!!! Your hair was actually one of my first natural inspirations 4 years ago on BHSGO thanks for tracking your progress over all that time.

Thanks again ladies /images/graemlins/wave.gif

Curlybun: I used Revlon's cermaic iron. It's 1", 25 heat settings and 250 watts

ms_jennifer: Yes, you did. I should have purchased NTM ages ago. Thanks for all your encouragement the last couple months /images/graemlins/kiss.gif

foxybronx: Thanks girl /images/graemlins/smile.gif You should join me in saying buh-bye to heat. I swear it's of the devil girl /images/graemlins/look.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Divastate: Oh you're one of the old timers /images/graemlins/laugh.gif I'm flattered I was an inspiration. I'm suprised since my hair back then didn't really inspire me /images/graemlins/laugh.gif I do regret not taking more natural pics though...
Anywho, I saw your pics and I love your hair. If my hair had half your curl definition I would have seriously reconsidered texturizing...lol.
Btw, your son is very cute /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Faith said:
Divastate: Oh you're one of the old timers /images/graemlins/laugh.gif I'm flattered I was an inspiration. I'm suprised since my hair back then didn't really inspire me /images/graemlins/laugh.gif I do regret not taking more natural pics though...
Anywho, I saw your pics and I love your hair. If my hair had half your curl definition I would have seriously reconsidered texturizing...lol.
Btw, your son is very cute /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl your hair grew out so fast how could it not inspire! Plus the thickness has always been to die for. I'm finally learning to work better with my texture but these poor strands can't take any chemicals without totally breaking off so it makes it a lot easier to pass by the curiousity of texturizing. Thanks for the compliment I think he's pretty cute myself /images/graemlins/kiss.gif

Happy Anniversary Faith, well done! your hard work and patience have been rewarded. Congratulations, your hair is looking very beautiful, keep posting more updates!

Hey...thanks. Very suprised to see this thread..lol.
My hair is relaxed now. It was breaking too much with the texturizer. It was always tangled since it seems like I had 3 different textures going on. Now it's about 75% relaxed so it's still wavy when wet and when it airdries.
I actually went to the salon in the lastest pics and she relaxed with Mizani regular. It was good but I'll stick with affirm since it was all those steps. And she flatironed with this iron which got my hair so striaght and thin looking. I can't wait to wash it and get the thickness back. If anybody wants straight and thinner looking hair...get this flatiron...
SO my disclaimer...my hair is thicker than it looks in those pics..blame this flatiron...lol. I'll take more pics when I wash this weekend coming up.
http://www.bioanion.com/970.html

Oh, I almost forget the longest my hair was before I went natural was about 19" from hairline back. Now it's about 26"

Back