5-o'clock hair

FLAME

5-o\'clock hair

I'm getting soooo frustrated with my hair.

Everyday at 5pm my hair begins to feel kind of mushy. I wake up every morning at 6 am, to do my hair. either I undo my wrap, or I bump the ends with a ceramic flat iron. My hair looks good; but at the end of the day, when I'm leaveing work it just falls flat, frizzes and just feels like squishy crap on top of my head.

does this happen to anyone else?

I've been diligent with my CPR every week, along with deep conditioning and hot oil treatments..

I'm just totally fed up.
can you give me any clues, as to why this is happening.

Re: 5-o\'clock hair

Maybe you could try using a serum...Razac's perfect for perms is great, gives shine and prevents frizzing....also I use Mizani Shyne spray. That usally seals my hair all day unless its REALLY humid

I have the aphogee serum, this thing does not work! I like razac products, but the serum is just too greasy for my hair.

[ QUOTE ]
FLAME said:
I've been diligent with my CPR every week, along with deep conditioning and hot oil treatments..

I'm just totally fed up.
can you give me any clues, as to why this is happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yesterday when I was at one of Dudley's Beauty school I was told by one of the teachers there that too many steam conditioning (or too much moiture or deep conditioning for that matter) when the hair doesn't need it can lead to the break down of the medulla (the outer most layer of the hair) part of black peoples hair resulting in mushy hair that is easy to break. This is especially so in people with fine soft hair per the teacher.

This might apply to you and that your hair may not need to be deep conditioned that often. HTH!

[ QUOTE ]
Yesterday when I was at one of Dudley's Beauty school I was told by one of the teachers there that too many steam conditioning (or too much moiture or deep conditioning for that matter) when the hair doesn't need it can lead to the break down of the medulla (the outer most layer of the hair) part of black peoples hair resulting in mushy hair that is easy to break. This is especially so in people with fine soft hair per the teacher.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell more. This is interesting.

I think that was the problem with my hair. Deep conditionin once a week was too much. Now I do it once every 2-4 weeks. Not often at all and my hair doesn't feel so .... so .... so.... I don't know the word for it but it was mushy I guess.

Flame,

I think the beauty school teacher's comment was on point. I've heard that with regard to just fine hair before.

What I can tell you is that during the worst of the extreme humidity here, I used a much lighter daily conditioner and my hair behaved tremendously well. So well, that I decided to remember this in the years to come. And, my hair is medium texture, really thick.

Definitely give the advice a try in terms of easing up on deep conditioning and see if it makes a difference.

The other thing you might try is to divide your essential fatty acid..the EPO. Try taking twice daily instead of once. Sometimes that can make a difference, too.

~Jade~

[ QUOTE ]
Spagirl said:

Yesterday when I was at one of Dudley's Beauty school I was told by one of the teachers there that too many steam conditioning (or too much moiture or deep conditioning for that matter) when the hair doesn't need it can lead to the break down of the medulla (the outer most layer of the hair) part of black peoples hair resulting in mushy hair that is easy to break.

[/ QUOTE ]

So which factor is probably the most detrimental? Too much moisture in the form of steam? That is, deep conditioning under a dryer with damp hair? Or just regular deep conditioning in general? I would suspect it would be the combo of heat and moisture but I'm not sure
confused.gif

guys, thanks for your thoughts. I will try to ease up on the deep conditioning. but if I'm going to use the cpr every 4 days:(I'm trying to follow the regime from the motion's web site.)shouldn't I deep condition my hair afterwards?
this stuff leaves my baby fine hair really hard if I don't..

[ QUOTE ]
Kaela said:
[ QUOTE ]
Spagirl said:

Yesterday when I was at one of Dudley's Beauty school I was told by one of the teachers there that too many steam conditioning (or too much moiture or deep conditioning for that matter) when the hair doesn't need it can lead to the break down of the medulla (the outer most layer of the hair) part of black peoples hair resulting in mushy hair that is easy to break.

[/ QUOTE ]

So which factor is probably the most detrimental? Too much moisture in the form of steam? That is, deep conditioning under a dryer with damp hair? Or just regular deep conditioning in general? I would suspect it would be the combo of heat and moisture but I'm not sure
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Deep conditioning w/heat cap/dryer as well as moisture from "Hair steamers" deep conditionings (gets deeper into hair shaft than a hair dryer). So if I understand your question correctly the answer is yes, you got it. I think this varies from head of hair to head of hair so you have to listen to your hair, as to how it is responding.

Don't forget you could run into trouble if your hair remains wet all the time w/o ever drying. Someone on the forum, in the past, has attested to it at least smelling if this happens.

FYI: The same instructor said the medulla was an extra layer on black peoples hair and I thought she said it was the outer layer but I've read here recently on LHCF that the medulla isn't the outer layer which makes sense. So you have to weigh everything and take the good over the bad. HTH!

Back