5 inches for layer cut?

syze6

I got a relaxer Saturday. I wanted to get my hair layered to have some type of style. My hair is a little past bra strap. I was told in order to get layers that was noticeable, I would have to have 5 inches taken off because my hair is long. She can't be serious, I passed on the cut!

WOW. That's why I keep passing on getting my haircut. I do not want to hear that when I sit in the chair.

I was thinking of doing the same thing. My hair is brastrap also. I finally decided that if I did get layers that I would do it myself for that exact reason. 5 inches is crazy. Maybe you could go to Supercuts or somewhere like that. White people are accustomed to and familiar with cutting LONG layers.

IMHO she's wrong another member wanted a layer cut and posted a pic of her friend who did have long hair:http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=80450:)

If your hair is all one length and you want layers that will give more definition to your hair (more of a style) then yes, you would need to cut about 5 inches off the top layer. However, you would still be able to maintain your overall length.

THey can cut face framing layers and not into the thickness of your hair. I think this stylist just wants your hair shorter so you come in more and it's less work for her IMO

lol i did the math today about the layer cut. I was like hm gosh i cant even remember when if i ever was right at shoulder length hair, but then i figured, it i want the top layer at or 1" below shoulder length, i would need to cut 5 inches!!

it sounds a lot huh?? it's like u wanna take off that much? how about you GIVE me five inches :lol:

it's a little scary, i know... and danggit i'm getting apprehensive already, but I really want that cut. I might delay until May, but still plan to get it, by my 18th birthday, which is in July.

Think about it... when the rest of your hair gets to waistlength, your layers will be at brastrap. That's not bad... just a 5" difference:)

CarLiTa said:
lol i did the math today about the layer cut. I was like hm gosh i cant even remember when if i ever was right at shoulder length hair, but then i figured, it i want the top layer at or 1" below shoulder length, i would need to cut 5 inches!!

it sounds a lot huh?? it's like u wanna take off that much? how about you GIVE me five inches :lol:

it's a little scary, i know... and danggit i'm getting apprehensive already, but I really want that cut. I might delay until May, but still plan to get it, by my 18th birthday, which is in July.

Think about it... when the rest of your hair gets to waistlength, your layers will be at brastrap. That's not bad... just a 5" difference:)

Make sure you get it cut the way you want with longer layers, not a short layer cut, I agree go to a salon that doesn't chop everyones hair off.

Honey said:
If your hair is all one length and you want layers that will give more definition to your hair (more of a style) then yes, you would need to cut about 5 inches off the top layer. However, you would still be able to maintain your overall length.

Agreed!!! Many women get long layered cuts and the layers are not noticeable because they want the shortest layer closet to the longest length. What if you start in between by getting three inches taken off for the shortest layer? Then you will a decent idea of how it will look. Layers are beautiful when they stand out (IMO). They also look really cute when you put your hair in a ponytail.

Honey said:

Yep, that sounds about right to me.

Back