5 A Day Fruit and Veggie Challenge

Divine Inspiration

Hi ladies! :wave:

I usually consume 5-10 servings of fruits and vegetables per day, but every 4 or 5 weeks, I slip up and only have 2 or 3 in a day. :ohwell: I'd like to avoid that by having a(n) accountability partner(s). :)

So I wanted to find a partner who was interested in keeping her fruit & vegetable intake up as well. I would imagine that there are other ladies here who attempt something similar (i.e. Carrot Juice challenges etc.)

I know it seems like this should go over in the Health & Fitness discussion, but I put it here b/c eating plenty of fruits and vegetables can work wonders for the tresses. :yep: Obviously, there would be peripheral benefits of things like clearer skin, weight loss, more energy, etc. :up:

I'm thinking of starting off small...maybe going from February 1-April 1, just to get confidence up and gain momentum...after that, the sky is the limit! The standard would be a minimum of 5 uncooked (preferably organic) fruits and/or vegetables every day. After the 5, cooked/steamed veggies can count as servings towards 10. If anyone's interested, I'll post a list of fruits & vegetables and the beauty purposes they serve.

So, does anyone care to join me on my challenge? :look:

I'll join you. I need to eat more fruit and veggies, plus I'm trying to lose ten more pounds before spring break.

Good thread!

I won't be joining this challenge since I always get my 5 + fruits and veggies daily. But I'll be cheering you ladies on!!

I am in.
I eat lots of fruits daily. Not much veggies though. My daily routine is like:
breakfast:
Orange, banana
snack
1apple
lunchtime
meal + one apple or a big fruit salad
snack
kiwi and apple
DIner
Maybe some veggies in the meal.

Overall I think I have about 8 serving of fruit a day. it helps me a lot with my low fat diet. Now I will go buy some veggies burgers to up my veggies intake a bit.

I would like to join as well! I usually eat a banana or two a day, so I definitely nee to step it up a couple of notches. My vegetable intake needs to improve as well.

i'm in, i'm currently at 4 fruits and 2 vegetables per day, but i'd like to increase it this week or next to 5 consistent fruits and 3 veggies or 4 veggies per day.

Count me in!

Count me in as well. Just came off a 21 day fast so my veggie/fruit intake is up somewhat and I'd like to continue with it. Besides I dropped about 12 lbs during the fast!:yay:

lmjenk67 said:
Count me in as well. Just came off a 21 day fast so my veggie/fruit intake is up somewhat and I'd like to continue with it. Besides I dropped about 12 lbs during the fast!:yay:

Lmjenk you know better that you need to break down that fasting thing.. I need every single detail...

How about smoothies?

i love a nice carrot banana and apple smoothie.

i am in LOVE with the strawberry, kiwi, applke and orange smooties too.

i try to do this every 3 days. since i have stopped all my vits except for biotin as i feel more alive when its actually taste and fruit ratehr then the vitmain inside it itself

blackhair said:
Lmjenk you know better that you need to break down that fasting thing.. I need every single detail...
Sorry about that! My church did a 21 day Daniel Fast so a lot of the "bad" food items were eliminated. Here's a list of what we could/couldn't have:
TYPES OF FOODS INCLUDED IN THE FAST:
• Whole Grains: Brown Rice, Oats, Barley
• Legumes: Dried Beans, Pinto Beans, Split Peas, Lentils, Black Eyed
Peas
• Fruits: Apples, Apricots, Bananas, Blackberries, Blueberries,
Boysenberries, Cantaloupe, Cherries, Cranberries, Oats, Figs,
Grapefruit, Grapes, Guava, Honeydew Melon, Kiwi, Lemons,
Limes, Mangoes, Nectarines, Papayas, Peaches, Pears, Pineapples,
Plums, Prunes, Raisins, Raspberries, Strawberries, Tangelos,
Tangerines, Watermelon
• Vegetables: Artichokes, Asparagus, Beets, Broccoli, Brussels
Sprouts, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Chili Peppers, Corn,
Cucumbers, Eggplant, Garlic, Gingerroot, Kale, Leeks, Lettuce,
Mushrooms, Mustard Greens, Okra, Onions, Parsley, Potatoes,
Radishes, Rutabagas, Scallions, Spinach, Sprouts, Squashes, Sweet
Potatoes, Tomatoes, Turnips, Watercress, Yams, Zucchini
• Seeds, Nuts, Sprouts
• Liquids: Spring Water, Distilled Water, 100% All-Natural Fruit
Juices, 100% All Natural Vegetable Juices (No Fruit Punch, Hi-C,
etc)
• WATER: Drink a minimum of eight glasses of water daily through
out the fast. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!
FOODS NOT INCLUDED:
1. Sugar and sugar products (i.e. desserts, soft drinks, etc.)
2. Beverages that include caffeine (i.e. coffee, tea, etc.)
3. Breads, grains (rice is an exception)
4. Meats, fish poultry, eggs, dairy products, butter
5. Fried foods
6. Carbonated beverages
7. Foods containing preservatives or additives
8. Refined sugar
9. Sugar substitutes
10. White flour and all products containing it
11. Margarine, shortening, high fat products

I ate organic oatmeal for breakfast every morning. Usually cut up a banana or apple in it. Since we really couldn't have too much to drink, I mostly drank 65+ oz of water a day.

Since I was increasing my veggie/fruti intake, I did the 15 day Tiao He cleanse as well (www.thegreatestherbsonearth.com). I also did Walk Away the Pounds by Leslie Sansone (30-45 mins) 4-5x/week.

Hope this helps.

Yaaaaaaay we've got participants! :yay: Ok, we'll start on February 1...this gives every one a week to do a trial run and figure out where they'll purchase their fruits & veggies.

I want to join!!! i eat a good amount of fruits, but i dont know how many servings, probably 3 a day.

Veggies, i have no idea. I guess in the legumes that my mom cooks, i get some servings, but dont know how much. I do have cans of 100% vegetable juice that nobody consumes here. Sometimes i'll take one with me to school and never drink it :lol: just bring it back and put it right back where it was.

i'm a nut eater, addicted to raw almonds. i dont even need a challenge for that. i can eat 12oz in 3 days :look:

so yeah, which fruits/veggies are good for what?

Salaam,

Count me in, This is great I just started taking Diet 111 at college and we have to post what we ate each day until the class is over. My professor also talked about the 5 a day way. So this will keep me motivated in class. Does it official start on the 1st?

Thank you for starting this thread.

I would suggest for the ladies..especially anyone doing protein smoothies that adding fruit to shakes is an excellent way to up the amount u eat..
Also frozen fruit is a life saver...I get the big bags from Costco/Sams of mixed berries and fruit..this saves me time in preparation and I can take a large bowl with me to work or mix them in my smoothies..
also I have a fruit bowl at my desk at work so I when I grocery shop, I get fruit for the job as well..
Also Costco/Sams are very cost effective for purchasing fruit...
I get kiwis(12 for $4), 4lbs of bananas for $1.25 mixed fruit for $5...plus with so much fruit, it forces me to eat more so it doesn't waste...hth someone..

Ok ladies, here's the list. Please be mindful that these are only fruit and vegetable sources. Of course, there are other sources of these vitamins and minerals, but since this is a fruit & veggie challenge, this list focuses on them.

Vitamins
Vitamin A
Promotes normal growth, healthy teeth, nails, hair, bones, glands. Essential for night vision. Found in apricot, mangoes, melons, nectarines, carrots, kale, spinach, red peppers, watercress, parsley.

Vitamin B-1 (Thiamin)
Essential for healthy growth of hair, skin, muscles, brain and nervous system. Is useful in times of stress and have also been used to treat fatigue, irritability, and depression. Found in tangerines, oranges, pineapples, plums, kale, cauliflower, garlic, leeks, mangetout, parsley.

Vitamin B-2
(Riboflavin)
Prevents dandruff and helps with the absorption of iron. Found in avocados, cherries, apricots, blackcurrants, kiwi fruit, peaches, kale, broccoli, parsley, red peppers, spinach, watercress.

Vitamin B-3 (Niacin)
Produces blood flow to the follicle to produce hair growth. Found in passion fruit, grapes, grapefruit, strawberries, kale, parsley.

Vitamin B-5 (Pantothenic Acid)
Produces hair growth and stimulation of new growth Found in watermelon, blackberries, strawberries, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, tomatoes, chick peas.

Vitamin B-12 (Cyanocobalimin)
Stimulates hair growth. Found in unwashed greens from the garden.

Vitamin C
Fights off infection/builds immune system and promotes growth. Found in blackcurrants, blackberries, grapefruit, kiwi fruit, lemons, oranges, pineapples, broccoli, peppers, parsley, watercress.

Vitamin E
Powerful antioxidant. Found in avacadoes, cabbages, celery, spinach, tomatoes, watercress

Vitamin H (Biotin)/Choline/Inositol/Vitamin K
Thickens the hair strand/keeps the hair root moist. Found in dark green leafy vegetables.

Folic Acid (Part of B-Complex)
Cell renewal to grow hair. Found in bananas, oranges, pineapples, strawberries, tangerines, beetroot, broccoli, cabbages, cauliflower, lettuce, spinach, chickpeas.

Minerals

Calcium
Found in blackberries, raspberries, oranges, broccoli, carrots, celery, spinach, watercress, dried figs.

Copper
Prolongs your original hair color. Found in broccoli, garlic, avocados.

Iron
Helps reduce balding and hair falling from the root. Found in raisins, green vegetables, beets, passion fruit, watercress, spinach, radishes, parsley, leeks, kale.

Magnesium
Produces growth of the hair and nails. Found in green vegetables, melon, pineapple, raspberries, cabbages, peas, spinach, tomatoes, beetroot, strawberries.

Selenium
Strengthens hair strands. Found in tomatoes.

Sulfur
Encourages hair growth and fights off disease. Found in raspberries, strawberries, watercress, carrots, celery, cucumber, onions, garlic, radishes, tomatoes.

Zinc
Produces hair growth and maintains natural hair color. Found in green vegetables, raspberries, guavas, Brussels sprouts, tomatoes, watercress.

Count me in!

I lost about 25 lbs before the holidays and than after I gained back 10lbs . Ugh... I felt so much better when I was eating right, I just need a little motivation.

Thank you so very much Lmjen. I will print it out right away and start it out. It is easy to follow along with my WW diet.

lmjenk67 said:
Sorry about that! My church did a 21 day Daniel Fast so a lot of the "bad" food items were eliminated. Here's a list of what we could/couldn't have:....................
Hope this helps.

sweetness0099 said:
I would suggest for the ladies..especially anyone doing protein smoothies that adding fruit to shakes is an excellent way to up the amount u eat..
Also frozen fruit is a life saver...I get the big bags from Costco/Sams of mixed berries and fruit..this saves me time in preparation and I can take a large bowl with me to work or mix them in my smoothies..
also I have a fruit bowl at my desk at work so I when I grocery shop, I get fruit for the job as well..
Also Costco/Sams are very cost effective for purchasing fruit...
I get kiwis(12 for $4), 4lbs of bananas for $1.25 mixed fruit for $5...plus with so much fruit, it forces me to eat more so it doesn't waste...hth someone..

DITTO - I do exactly the same thing. and I get all my fruits from Cotsco

LuvLiLocks said:
Oh Devine, thank you so much for posting that list. And count me in this challange too. :yep:

You're welcome! I'm glad it's helpful.

So this is good...plenty of participants. We can check in on each other every other week or so to track progress. Are there any specific fruits/veggies you guys are gonna focus on?

I'm think I'm gonna focus on strawberries, apples, oranges, melons, mangoes, cherries, and avocadoes (yum yum). I'll probably do a bunch of carrots and celery too since they're easy to chop up and take on the go.:)

I would like 2 join 2, but I can't eat all those fruits and veggies in a day. Will juicing do or is that considered cheating?:blush::lachen:

Back