4b's?? How do you keep your NG from LOC'ing

MRJ1972

I have seen many posts where people say that they dont comb their NG when stretching, but how is this possible without the hair LOC'ing?? I am 4b and I have trouble with my NG coiling or started to loc if I dont comb it. And then combing it, causes it to break at the demarcation point also!!!:wallbash:

Also how can you even get your hair into a protective style, ( bun, etc) when it 5 or 6 months stretched without combing?

I cant win for losing...if i dont comb it, start to loc, but if I do comb, then it breaks!!!! :sad:

Don't know if my advice will help, BUT I've noticed that women that use coconut oil or something very moisturizing on the new growth have better luck with stretching and less tangles and knots. Maybe try oiling your scalp more often with coconut oil(the virgin coconut oil) and you might see a difference. Good luck!

I know some people say this is a no no but when I get to 4+ months I comb when wet then moisturize seal and put into a bun and tie it down. Then when it dries it is a whole lot easier to comb! For the most part any type of oil makes it easier
HTH

After i use my leave in i use seyani hair butters. it melts the loc right a way.and i only use my hands:yep:it work for me use it on my ends too.I LOVE HER BUTTERS

Last edited:
I'm only a little 4a in the back but I treat my hair like 4b, DC'ing with heat melts my tangles away.

I have tried everything. The only thing that works for me is using a my Mason Pearson Knock off brush, brush all the way down to the roots, its the only way to pick up the loose hair, and break up the tangles before they form knots. But I brush at most once a week.

Yes defnitely find a butter or oils that will stop your hair from locking and will not make your har greasy. Coconut butter s great however I like grapeseed and almond oil too.

I'm also 4b and I get hardly any shedding.

I'm 8 weeks post, stretching until 12 weeks and I noticed this last night. I didn't know what to do, so I drenched my hair in olive oil. It helped me to comb through the NG.

Back