4B- RELAXED- WHO AIR DRY- QUESTION...PLEASE HELP

LadyZ

How do you air dry and have a smooth cuticle without roller setting?
Whenever I air dry, my hair feel rough and frizzy:look: :nono: :sad:... Even though I moisturize and seal... What am I doing wrong... Please advise me in what to do :wallbash:.... I do
tie it down with a silk scarf

TIA

i sometimes will airdry in medium sized two strand twists . i would let my hair airdry until it damp then add leave in, moisturize and do the twists. it would stay soft for the first day or so and by the end of the week was brittle. now after i wash i squeeze as much water out as i can , add my grapseed oil, and do 6 big plaits and sit under my hooded dryer. OR i just blowdry it straight. i think our relaxed hair needs some form of heat to close our cuticles because of the chemicals. i havent rollerset in a long time im thiking about getting back to that

Hey Lady,
Ok, first let me say I'm no expert at air drying, but I can tell you what I do (and I always end up with frizz too..lol). After I wash, I immediately use some type of leave-in. I was using Giovanni Direct, but I now I realize it doesn't do much for my hair, so I'm still searching.
After my leave-in is applied, I use Keracare moisturizer and then I seal with jbco. I always air dry in a bun, unless I'm doing a braidout. I have noticed that when I use jbco, and twist/or braid my ends, I end up with way less frizz. I hope this helps... :ohwell:

Thank you so much for responding...
Someone else said to apply heat(hair dryer) and that would help close the cuticle and make the hair shafts smooth down... I will try that tomorrow, and get under the dryer and see how it turns out... If that fails then I will have to go back to roller setting... which I hate to do(lazy)... This air drying that I am doing is killing my hair and I am 5 weeks post too... I can't have that:wallbash: .... I sure hope this theory is right...

Thank you once again for responding... I tried the search, but it does not work:look:...

I use Lacio Lacio leave-in, seal with olive oil and do two plait braids. During the drying process I dab a little more Lacion on the tips of the braids and did the tip in the olive oil bottle. Smoooooth

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but…I really think roller setting is the best way to smooth hair with minimal or no heat. Have you tried using larger rollers to place more hair and dry quicker? I do this is I'm pressed for time using the black rollers by Annie (I'm not quite sure of the size in inches).

As an alternative (and I only do this very occasionally—like once, maybe twice a year when I don’t have time to set), try a Wrap and air dry or go under the dryer. This should smooth and straighten your hair very well. Just use a wrap lotion or mousse, or any good setting lotion.

Finally, I also agree you may want to experiment with styles that work well with air dried hair and lots of texture, like braidouts and twists. :yep:

rollersetting is the truth for relaxed hair. I just started using NTM leave in and it has made such a BIG diff. in my hair that i can't believe it. I also put on a little AVEDA USC and if I airdry or no (with my rollerset), my hair is soft bouncy and out of this world.

I've also found that using large rollers doesn't always work. WHen I use medium sized rollers (and my hair is wrapped around the roller several times) it comes out a lot better.

How do you air dry and have a smooth cuticle without roller setting?
Whenever I air dry, my hair feel rough and frizzy:look: :nono: :sad:... Even though I moisturize and seal... What am I doing wrong... Please advise me in what to do :wallbash:.... I do
tie it down with a silk scarf

TIA

I put Aussie Hair Insurance to detangle, Infusium leave in to straighten somewhat, I spray a mixture of Elasta QP wrap lotion mixed with water and tea tree oil, and finally I put some kind of serum on my ends so they want be too frizzy. I comb it out a little after making a part down the center, and then put a wig cap on my head, so it won't get poofy. My wig cap method is similar to the scarf method. I usually sleep on it. Now, I still have to flat iron it, but at least I don't have to dry it. I don't know any other way for a true 4B to do it.

This is how I just started to do it:

Clarify (I live in a place with very hard water), Moisture Mask, Shampoo, Conditioner, Leave-in.

I sometimes use Super Girl's method of airdrying. Most recently I started drying in a ponytail and putting my ponytail into a roller or rollers.

I can't do a rollerset to save my life. :/

Edit: My hair is only slightly longer than my current siggy pic but it does take AGES to dry.

Edit 2: My final rinse is COLD. The water here is almost icy cold, it really helps seal the cuticle if you can stand it.

Thanks for all the good input ladies... I have a few ideas to work with...
Today I am trying something new/different...
First I did a CW with Sauve Strawberry & Cream(used heat) for 10 minutes... My hair was silky :grin: ... I did then rinsed and applied Sauve Aloe Vera conditioner(only because I know that Strawberries & Cream has Protein and my hair can be sensitive to Protein at times)... Then I did an icy cold rinse to seal that silkiness in... I applied my leave-in, Cantu Shea Butter and sealed with B&B Growth oil, mixed with some water... Well, my hair was super soft and de-tangled very nicely... I usually detangle in the shower, but decided to do it after the shower... When I air dry my back center never does right, so I put one big roller (purple size) on it... Then I did what Supergirl does and made a center part and took those sections and wrapped them in my silk scarf making sure they were lying strait/flat and then cross wrapped the scarf... I am sitting under the dryer now and I am hoping this will work, if not I will go back to roller setting.... Since my hair loves it so much:rolleyes:.... I have become a slave to my hair:lachen:... And if I want to retain my length and hopefully gain some in the future, I better listen to what my hair is screaming at me...:yep:

Sorry, for the long post and all the info... But I know some, if not all of you understand when it comes to managing our hair...

Thank you again for your replies...
I will let you know how this set works out...

Thanks for all the good input ladies... I have a few ideas to work with...
Today I am trying something new/different...
First I did a CW with Sauve Strawberry & Cream(used heat) for 10 minutes... My hair was silky :grin: ... I did then rinsed and applied Sauve Aloe Vera conditioner(only because I know that Strawberries & Cream has Protein and my hair can be sensitive to Protein at times)... Then I did an icy cold rinse to seal that silkiness in... I applied my leave-in, Cantu Shea Butter and sealed with B&B Growth oil, mixed with some water... Well, my hair was super soft and de-tangled very nicely... I usually detangle in the shower, but decided to do it after the shower... When I air dry my back center never does right, so I put one big roller (purple size) on it... Then I did what Supergirl does and made a center part and took those sections and wrapped them in my silk scarf making sure they were lying strait/flat and then cross wrapped the scarf... I am sitting under the dryer now and I am hoping this will work, if not I will go back to roller setting.... Since my hair loves it so much:rolleyes:.... I have become a slave to my hair:lachen:... And if I want to retain my length and hopefully gain some in the future, I better listen to what my hair is screaming at me...:yep:

Sorry, for the long post and all the info... But I know some, if not all of you understand when it comes to managing our hair...

Thank you again for your replies...
I will let you know how this set works out...

Lady Z , are you just sitting under the dryer with a scarf on? I so that is a really good idea. You get the scarf making everything all smooth, and the dryer heat helping to seal the cuticle. And it would be less manipulation than rollersetting. I might have to try this method after my next wash.

Lady Z , are you just sitting under the dryer with a scarf on? I so that is a really good idea. You get the scarf making everything all smooth, and the dryer heat helping to seal the cuticle. And it would be less manipulation than rollersetting. I might have to try this method after my next wash.

I've done it before. My hair did come out soft, but I still had frizzy ends.:sad:

I learned how to rollerset (trial and error) when I first came to LHCF and I still do it. :yep: I haven't found another way to get my ends smooth while airdrying overnight.
As I mentioned in another thread, I do use both the scarf method to smooth the top and sides of my hair and roll up several inches of the length (just not all the way up) with about 8 rollers. I airdry this way overnight and it's faster to do than the traditional rollerset method.

I learned how to rollerset (trial and error) when I first came to LHCF and I still do it. :yep: I haven't found another way to get my ends smooth while airdrying overnight.
As I mentioned in another thread, I do use both the scarf method to smooth the top and sides of my hair and roll up several inches of the length (just not all the way up) with about 8 rollers. I airdry this way overnight and it's faster to do than the traditional rollerset method.

That is exactly what I was thinking I would do in order to avoid frizzy ends:yep:. Either that or a cross wrap- either way can't wait until my next wash day to see what kind of results I get.

I did dry with the scarf on and yes my ends were still frizzy... But the part I rolled was soooo silky and soft that I am going back to my roller sets... I now realize what my hair responds to the most... I might do it that way for the middle of the week and bun it... But the part I saw that I roller set was just to nice...

I will clarify on Friday to give my hair a fresh start and continue with the rest of my regimen... I guess air drying is not for my type of hair:wallbash:... It was just to easy to do to :perplexed:look::nono::sad:work out... Oh well...

I will try the wrapping and then rolling the ends and see how that works out though...

Thank you ladies for all the input... It is deeply appreiciated...

Back