4b ladies, my mother's hair needs your help!

Ozma

My mother has been going to a stylist for the last 2 months, but the results have been less than positive, let's say. She has coarse 4b hair, which she colors to cover gray. It is constantly brittle and breaking, so the woman cuts more off every appointment. My mother has been fully natural for over a year, so she has no relaxed ends left.

My advice is: stop coloring or using any chemicals or heat; co-wash, moisturize and seal until her twa is long enough to braid. Then wear no- manipulation cornrow braids under a wig for one year while continuing to wash and moisturize between braidings.

Have any of you started with brittle, broken hair and gone to soft, shiny, growing hair? Do you have any more tips I should pass on to her? She and I have completely different hair types, so I am usually at a loss when it comes to helping her.

TIA

She can maybe try indigo to cover her greys.

What are her hair goals?
If she keeps her hair covered under a wig for a year she's going to miss opportunities to learn how to style her hair during that time...

I started with brittle broken hair. I was using too much protein, dying my hair, and using the wrong combs. If I had known about steaming, durags under wigs, deep conditioning more than once a week, and using sulfate / cone free products my hair would have been on point so just keep sharing the info and monitoring what products she's using. My mom had the same problem when she started transitioning

She can maybe try indigo to cover her greys.

What are her hair goals?
If she keeps her hair covered under a wig for a year she's going to miss opportunities to learn how to style her hair during that time...

I had her using indigo, but the new stylist stripped the indigo and started using chemical colors. She wants to get to SL and then maintain that length. Then she can co-wash and bun or wear a ponytail.

That regimen sounds great. The only other thing I'd add is S Curl and baggying. I would baggy under the wig but if she isn't comfy doing that, then satin/silk scarf under wig and full-head baggy at night.

I had her using indigo, but the new stylist stripped the indigo and started using chemical colors. She wants to get to SL and then maintain that length. Then she can co-wash and bun or wear a ponytail.

:( Maybe you can convince her to go back to indigo. It doesn't sound like the chemicals are working well for her.

That regimen sounds great. The only other thing I'd add is S Curl and baggying. I would baggy under the wig but if she isn't comfy doing that, then satin/silk scarf under wig and full-head baggy at night.

I second baggying. Baggying overnight at least 4 times a week as really helped to increase the moisture level of my hair.

There are some 4B's who just cannot handle chemicals in the hair. I am one of them. From coloring to relaxer it is a disaster.

The regimen above is a good one, if she is going to cover with a wig skip the coloring until she is wanting to wear her hair out.

You would hate to go through the process of using Indigo just to cover it up, unless it is for a day or two.

Back