4b HELP! w/ Growing Short Hair w/ Breakage

Eursla

Hello Ladies,

I need help w/ growing my short hair. I'm really at my wits end. I have breakage but it has subsided some from Aphogee Treatment and Motions CPR (Take a look at my album to see).

I'm trying to keep the heat out of it but start feeling like Grandma Grip without it. I use heat maybe 1x or 2x a week. It doesn't help that I'm 7 months pregnant; Starting to feel unattractive sometimes. I bought a phony pony to create a chignon with but I don't know if that would only cause further damage. I really just want to say forget and cut it for the 10th time in an 8 yr span (Malinda Williams short). Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Your hair looks good to me in the pics. Where are you seeing the breakage? Do you think it could be too much protein and not enough moisture that is causing the breakage? How frequent are you doing protein treatments?

Have you read AJamericanDiva's thread. That is a very encouraging thread.

Thanks Kaddy for your response! I did the Aphogee Treatment two weeks ago and the CPR 2 times after that. I followed up each time with Paul Mitchell's Super Charged Moisturizing Conditioner mixed w/ hot oil (heated in hot water 3 minutes). Sat under dryer 15 minutes w/ moisturizing mix each time. My hair is softer than it usually is. I will take a look at the link you sent me. Thank you so much for your support and may God bless you and the other wonderful ladies on this site.

be careful of doing a lot of protein treatments. Maybe if you need to do a lighter protein for breakage try Elasta Breakage Control Serum or cholestoral. I swear by Breakage Control Serum I use it once a take my braids out and put them back in. Also deep condition after your protein treatments.

Eursla someone mentioned something about what caused this. Let me see if I can find it for you.

Have a blessed pregnancy!

ETA: OK, I found something but it was talking about color, but I think it will apply. It was talking about the hair being really soft and how you need to use protein. Maybe you should try a lighter protein (like Keraphix) every 2 weeks. Some ladies say you can use it every week until your hair is back right, but if you

Last edited:
I would second using a lighter protein. Aphogee seemed to work, but only for a couple of weeks. It actually caused breakage due to the stiffness of it on the rinse out. Emergencee is heavy-duty, but lighter. The best bet for me is Keraphix followed by a really moisturizing conditioner.

Thanks for all the great advice Kaddy, carolina_belle and KathyMay! I wasn't planning on using the Aphogee anymore until my next relaxer (if needed). I will try the Elasta QP Breakage Serum. You ladies are a godsend because I really thought my hair was on verge of a breakdown. I see that it's not so bad.

Eursla

I would recommend braids as a styling option while you're pregnant. I know so many women that go to braids during their pregnancy because it's easier *once they're in* to deal with. I also know that a lot of women deal with texture changes while pregnant from the hormones and some don't want to use chemicals so this might be a good option for you.

Also, your hair doesn't look as bad as you think it does. Just go easy on the protein and try rollersetting your hair instead of using heat 2xs a week, your set should last for at least a week.

ms_kenesha said:
I would recommend braids as a styling option while you're pregnant. I know so many women that go to braids during their pregnancy because it's easier *once they're in* to deal with. I also know that a lot of women deal with texture changes while pregnant from the hormones and some don't want to use chemicals so this might be a good option for you.

Also, your hair doesn't look as bad as you think it does. Just go easy on the protein and try rollersetting your hair instead of using heat 2xs a week, your set should last for at least a week.
ITA :). Break it down Ms K!!!!

I think your hair is cute!

ALL sorts of things happen while you're pregnant! If you're having a boy, rumor is your hair will grow like weeds afterwards! :cool:

ms_kenesha said:

Great advice! I can attest to the texture changes during pregnancy. The relaxers just never "took" in my hair during my pregnancy and the two textures caused more breakage.

Again, I truly thank you ladies for ALL the support you've given me!

Ms Kenesha, you are my inspiration and one of the reasons I said, I would hold on. I think once I feel my hair has reached a good, healthy state, I am going to get some flat twists.

May God Bless all of you and yours!

I would be careful about relaxing during pregnancy. The chemicals can be passed 2 the baby....congratulations and don't stress about yr hair. I think u will be fine

I think you've been given excellent advice so far, just wanted to say that I think you look lovely and glowing! :)

xx

Thank you for your support Nice, kombov_dymond, JenJen2721, Ntrlchallenge and CharUK. Thanks for the compliments also. Makes me feel soooo much better. I'm going to just do the rollersets and see how that works out for me. I'll make sure that I keep you guys updated with my progress.

God Bless,

Eursla

Back