:::4A NATURALS COME IN PLEASE:::

Anew

This is my daughter's hair type and she's newly 100% natural again. She has incredibly thick hair. I have no clue as to what products I should use on her. I was hoping you ladies could give me some advice on good shampoos, conditioner's and moisturizers. She also has really dry scalp at the crown.

I have found that ORS Tea Tree Oil is the bomb.com :grin:. I apply that to her scalp once a week and no more flakes. Its awesome. This child's head would flake up like nobody's business 3 days after a wash. I do currently wash her hair once a week. Her hair is in a healthy state, but I just cut the rest of her relaxed ends off so its SL stretched now, with that said I'd like to start growing her natural hair. Could you also tell me what has helped you with growth?

All replies are greatly appreciated.

Well as far as products I'm a ayurveda baby so I may not be able to help you there. Also I wear my hair straight, warm comb followed by flat iron. I'm thinking about wearing it curly for summer and high humidity days and there are some products at http://www.curlmart.com/ that I can't wait to get my hands on to achieve a neat look.

How are you styling your daughter's hair? I guess that would help me answer your question.

Well as far as products I'm a ayurveda baby so I may not be able to help you there. Also I wear my hair straight, warm comb followed by flat iron. I'm thinking about wearing it curly for summer and high humidity days and there are some products at http://www.curlmart.com/ that I can't wait to get my hands on to achieve a neat look.

How are you styling your daughter's hair? I guess that would help me answer your question.
She's been in braids or twists for a while now. She hates puffs, 10 y/o. I'm not that great at creating new styles, really have to look at pics for inspiration. She'd like to wear her hair straight, but her hair will frizz up soon as she steps outside, by the end of the day it'll look like I hadn't put a comb to her head.

This is my daughter's hair type and she's newly 100% natural again. She has incredibly thick hair. I have no clue as to what products I should use on her. I was hoping you ladies could give me some advice on good shampoos, conditioner's and moisturizers. She also has really dry scalp at the crown.

I have found that ORS Tea Tree Oil is the bomb.com :grin:. I apply that to her scalp once a week and no more flakes. Its awesome. This child's head would flake up like nobody's business 3 days after a wash. I do currently wash her hair once a week. Her hair is in a healthy state, but I just cut the rest of her relaxed ends off so its SL stretched now, with that said I'd like to start growing her natural hair. Could you also tell me what has helped you with growth?

All replies are greatly appreciated.
I'm a 3c-4a-4b ish transitioning BACK to natural! My hair is extremely thick also.
In my hair t-tree oil is the truth! I love that stuff. When I was natual I washed once a week also, just too much hair for more than one time a week. I did alot of condish washes except after wearing my hair in braids after a few weeks then I would shampoo.
After washing I would just do 4 braids and let it air dry. Before braiding I would apply some olive oil moisterizer, t-tree oil and finally a little grease, I have to use really thick heavy products my hair laughs at the light stuff. The next day after is was some what dry I would style it I did a lot of fros and puffs. Some times I did braids on my own hair for like 3 weeks at a time.
The great thing about my thick hair is that it is very resilient and didn't need much attention. I kept quite simple. I know that some naturals complain about getting little knots on the ends of their hair I never got that maybe because my hair strains are very thick.
Are your daughter's hair strands thick also? Or is her hair just really dense with fine strands?

I'm a 3c-4a-4b ish transitioning BACK to natural! My hair is extremely thick also.
In my hair t-tree oil is the truth! I love that stuff. When I was natual I washed once a week also, just too much hair for more than one time a week. I did alot of condish washes except after wearing my hair in braids after a few weeks then I would shampoo.
After washing I would just do 4 braids and let it air dry. Before braiding I would apply some olive oil moisterizer, t-tree oil and finally a little grease, I have to use really thick heavy products my hair laughs at the light stuff. The next day after is was some what dry I would style it I did a lot of fros and puffs. Some times I did braids on my own hair for like 3 weeks at a time.
The great thing about my thick hair is that it is very resilient and didn't need much attention. I kept quite simple. I know that some naturals complain about getting little knots on the ends of their hair I never got that maybe because my hair strains are very thick.
Are your daughter's hair strands thick also? Or is her hair just really dense with fine strands?
Other than that you sound like her hair twin, lol. I like to do plaits with her hair also to let it dry otherwise it'll be a tangled nappy mess. I think for now I'll probably keep it braided and on the weekends just let her puff it out.

She's been in braids or twists for a while now. She hates puffs, 10 y/o. I'm not that great at creating new styles, really have to look at pics for inspiration. She'd like to wear her hair straight, but her hair will frizz up soon as she steps outside, by the end of the day it'll look like I hadn't put a comb to her head.
I have the same problem. My hair doesn't get str8 easily no matter how much moisture I have in it. I once got my hair done by a stylist who got my hair so str8 that she had actually singed it str8. My hair never reverted back and I ended up having to cut the burnt parts off. No conditioner could bring my curls back. If I want to wear my hair str8 I have come to terms with having to wear it :ohwell: only sort of str8.

They've got some products here for frizz as well. Didn't know how old she was but there is a section for children's hair also. And they have books that may help with styles. I'm thinking of ordering a couple for myself as they also include directions on how to achieve the styles.

And also how are you straightening? My beautician blow dried most of the way then I sat under a dryer. She ran a WARM comb through my hair and then flat ironed. My hair was as silky as a relaxer and took about 2 weeks to revert (I may have helped it though, I think I mistakenly put a water based product in it - reflex from my transitioning days.) I had no problems with burnt hair (my beautician is exceptional) and when I wet it I'm right back to square one!

Seems like I also need to invest in this ORS tea tree oil. Sounds fab! Thanks for the heads up ladies.

Last edited:
Aww man, sorry to hear that. The only way to get her hair really straight is doing tiny piece by piece flat ironing or a hot comb. Not a fan of hot combs and I don't have the patience to flat iron her hair like that. It can be on the lowest setting and it'll get it straight, I would just have to prepare myself for at least an hour. I'm slow when I get tired, lol....

They've got some products here for frizz as well. Didn't know how old she was but there is a section for children's hair also. And they have books that may help with styles. I'm thinking of ordering a couple for myself as they also include directions on how to achieve the styles.

Seems like I also need to invest in this ORS tea tree oil. Sounds fab! Thanks for the heads up ladies.
Thanks! I need to look into getting some books..

I'm 3c/4a and what has helped me with growth is low manipulation.. I usually wear wash n gos and puffs to give my hair a break from weaves and braids.. also only detangling with a shower comb when my hair is full of conditioner has really helped too... HTH

Aww man, sorry to hear that. The only way to get her hair really straight is doing tiny piece by piece flat ironing or a hot comb. Not a fan of hot combs and I don't have the patience to flat iron her hair like that. It can be on the lowest setting and it'll get it straight, I would just have to prepare myself for at least an hour. I'm slow when I get tired, lol....
Here's a thread i started a few days ago for thick and coarse haired naturals maybe you can find out some more infor there.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=345191

I'm mostly 4A and Organic Coconut Oil, Castor Oil, and Kinky Curly products work really well on my hair. I use to have really dry scalp like your daughter until I stopped using shampoo. Now I only co-wash (Trader Joe's Nourish Spa and GVP Tea Tree Conditioner are my favorites) and I clarify my scalp once a month with Dr. Bonner's Castile Soap and Jojoba oil. As far as growth goes, I get the most when I do twists and braidouts.

My daughter has 4A hair. I educate her on good hair care but I don't want her to develop frustration and hatred over her hair. Unfortunately, the styles she likes to wear come with some risk and I let her know that and if she chooses to wear them, at least I know I educated her. My daughter generally wears two hairstyles. A wash and go(which really isn't a wash and go because it takes me 15 minutes to define the curls) and a ponytail.

For the wash and go and the end of her ponytail, I use an all natuarl hair cream by a company called Nikki's Soul Tress. It is the Honey Jasmine Hair and Body lotion. They sale it in my area at the health food store and you can get it herehttp://www.augisa.com/haircare.html. I use this product with a denman brush to define her curls. I stoped using the kinky curly because, if you disturb the hair, it flakes. My daughter is wild so she winds up messing with it and getting flakes. The Nikki's only lasts like a day though. i also use the Nikki's as a moisturizer.

For her ponytails, I will smooth the hair back with water, Nikki's and a little fantasia IC gel on the edges. Then I will brush the ponytail with a denmen brush.

Really, all of that is to much manipulation but my daughter is not into low manipulation styles and she is so wild that the style wouldn't last anyway. Every now and then I will straighten it but it only lasts a few days and is not worth the damage.

My daughter has 4A hair. I educate her on good hair care but I don't want her to develop frustration and hatred over her hair. Unfortunately, the styles she likes to wear come with some risk and I let her know that and if she chooses to wear them, at least I know I educated her. My daughter generally wears two hairstyles. A wash and go(which really isn't a wash and go because it takes me 15 minutes to define the curls) and a ponytail.

For the wash and go and the end of her ponytail, I use an all natuarl hair cream by a company called Nikki's Soul Tress. It is the Honey Jasmine Hair and Body lotion. They sale it in my area at the health food store and you can get it herehttp://www.augisa.com/haircare.html. I use this product with a denman brush to define her curls. I stoped using the kinky curly because, if you disturb the hair, it flakes. My daughter is wild so she winds up messing with it and getting flakes. The Nikki's only lasts like a day though. i also use the Nikki's as a moisturizer.

For her ponytails, I will smooth the hair back with water, Nikki's and a little fantasia IC gel on the edges. Then I will brush the ponytail with a denmen brush.

Really, all of that is to much manipulation but my daughter is not into low manipulation styles and she is so wild that the style wouldn't last anyway. Every now and then I will straighten it but it only lasts a few days and is not worth the damage.
I think that's what I need to do, something to define the curls. I also need to invest in a Denman brush, where did you get yours? Thanks for the link.

Back