4a Ladies, how do you prevent tangles?

dicapr

I'm 4a/4b I think. I've noticed the coily parts of my hair tangle like crazy. I'm afraid I'm going to damage my new growth and cause breakage at the line of demarcation trying to detangle. Any secrets for detangling or preventing tangles in the first place? Any help would be great!

You may not choose to try my method since it does involve a fine toothed comb:)

I part my hair and spray liquid on the roots (surge, scurl, oil water, ect...) and gently detangle.
Then I put some grease or WGO on the section over top of the liquid and comb the section smooth, I continue throughout my entire head. Since I've been doing this I have no problem with my new growth, the comb slides right through. I usually do this the day after I wash my hair because I airdry. I wash my hair twice a week so I do this twice a week.

I have problems with detangling once I have newgrowth, too. The only time I do it is right after I wash and deep condition, when I'm about to rollerset. This is sometimes a very slow and frustrating process but I dont get breakage as long as I take my time. And the rollerset lasts for about a week, keeping my hair detangled. A lot of ladies suggested that I find good detangling products and use a detangling shampoo (such as CON green bottle). Perhaps that might help you as well. Sorry, I dont' know any methods for preventing tangles though...that would be nice! :eek:

Rinygirl-- your method sounds really interesting! I'm always too afraid to airdry when I start having newgrowth because I don't know how I'll detangle it. I'm going to give this a try sometime.

i handle my hair in small portions only.

before washing i make 4 big sections than ponytail them. when i wash, i wash each 1/4 at a time same when conditioning always putting them back in ponytails.

when detangling afterwards i only detangle one section at a time. i'll split each ponytail in half or even quarters, using a hair clip/claw to hold the other hair out of the way. usually there's only about 2 inch by 2 inch section that's being detangled at a time.

when all the little sections are detangled i can then do a final brush over that entire 1/4 head of hair and either put it in a twist, braid or bantu knot until i'm finished the whole head.

note: while detangling, that's when i use any products like leave-ins, shea butters or oils, etc.

i use the heavier denman brush usually. sometimes a really large tooth comb - but the brush seems to work best.

I do almost everything that has already been mentioned:

I'm natural and my entire head is probably 4a

I used CON in the green bottle (lifesaver)
Only deal with small sections
ALWAYS take your time
Start of with a larger comb and slowly move to a smaller comb

Since starting this I have very little problems with breakage.

I agree with the other ladies, good detangling products (detangling shampoo is KEY for me) and a wide tooth comb go a long way in detanlging and preventing breakage.

the very front of my hair is 4a it drives me crazy cause the rest is a completly diff texture, ,lol but i just make sure to wash my hair every day. that way it has no chance to get tangled. a good soak in conditioner and the comb slides right through from wash to wash.

Washing in braids/sections
Using Paul Mitchell's The Detangler mixed into my DC (Love ya Blosss)
ACV rinses

These things, used individually or together, keep me tangle free!

Divine Inspiration said:
Washing in braids/sections
Using Paul Mitchell's The Detangler mixed into my DC (Love ya Blosss)
ACV rinses

These things, used individually or together, keep me tangle free!

Thank you so much Divine Inspiration on the rec of Paul Mitchell's the Detangler. That is a great product. I use it mixed with cheapie condish in the shower and detangle in sections under the shower stream and sometimes I mix it with my DC conditioner too. :yep:

The thing that really keeps me tangle free is washing my hair in braids a la the Crown & Glory Method. It prevents all my shed hair from collecting in my nape area which can give me monster tangles. That's my best prevention technique. ;)

rinygirl6 said:
You may not choose to try my method since it does involve a fine toothed comb:)

I part my hair and spray liquid on the roots (surge, scurl, oil water, ect...) and gently detangle.
Then I put some grease or WGO on the section over top of the liquid and comb the section smooth, I continue throughout my entire head. Since I've been doing this I have no problem with my new growth, the comb slides right through. I usually do this the day after I wash my hair because I airdry. I wash my hair twice a week so I do this twice a week.

This sounds like a good idea! I've been thinking about doing this myself. Do you get a lot of breakage with this?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to pick up the detangler and find a smaller tooth comb. I usually use a shower comb but I don't think I'm getting all the shed hairs with it.

I load my hair (usually) with the Pantene Liso combing creme and braid in individual sections, secure with barretts or ouchless bands and wash braided. Then I bun immediately while wet and from the shower and I never have problems with tangles.
HTH

dicapr said:
I'm 4a/4b I think. I've noticed the coily parts of my hair tangle like crazy. I'm afraid I'm going to damage my new growth and cause breakage at the line of demarcation trying to detangle. Any secrets for detangling or preventing tangles in the first place? Any help would be great!

The Motions Nourish Leave-In spray is a great detangler. I also like Garnier Sleek and Shine Anti-Frizz Serum because it gives GREAT slip.

Priestess said:
Thank you so much Divine Inspiration on the rec of Paul Mitchell's the Detangler. That is a great product. I use it mixed with cheapie condish in the shower and detangle in sections under the shower stream and sometimes I mix it with my DC conditioner too. :yep:

Yeah, that stuff is great. I picked up a liter of it Friday. :D

Back