4a Hair Vent - Please Offer Your Suggestions

Ediese

I'm currently long-term transitioning (about 2 yrs now), and I'm having a love/hate relationship with the natural portion of my hair right now. The relaxed ends are fine, but the part of my hair that is all natural is giving me a run for my money.

I absolutely love my hair texture. However, I do not like the constant dredding or knotting. I could detangle one second, and the next some of my strands are fighting each other. :wallbash: I'm forever tearing hair apart. :sad:

My hair curls on the end, and I'm having the hardest time stopping it from knotting against other strands. It's really frustrating because I find myself cutting alot of my ends off. :nono: Sometimes I can save it and gently get rid of the knot, but other times it's just hopeless and I have to cut it. If this is what it's going to be like when I'm all natural, I don't want any part of it.

Ladies, please help me. Any and all suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated.

I think your hair is ready for the BC. I had a hard time holding on to my relaxed ends after 10 months, I can't imagine how much harder it is to hold on to it for 2 yrs. Do you think you could cut your hair? It will probably make a world of difference. Plus you can't really tell your true texture till you cut off your relaxed ends.

How is your moisture level? I noticed with my hair...if the mositure is not right...that's when I get the lil knots and dreds.

Congrats on a 2 year transition! Wow.

Two things I've learned with my hair.

1) It has to be properly hydrated. Most of the problems I've had with my hair, have had a root cause of my hair just not being moisturized enough.

2) Manipulating totally wet hair, is safe. Manipulating totally dry hair, is safe. Any manipulation at any point in between equals tangles. Mind you, I'm not saying that my hair doesn't tangle at ALL during the 'safe' times, it just tangles a WHOLE lot less than it does during the 'in between' times. I twist my hair in big two strand twists while in the shower, lightly oil each twist (just run my hands down the twist with oil on my hands) and then let it dry - without untwisting it. Once it's fully dry, I untwist, moisturize/apply leave in, and style.

It's made my hair SO much easier to deal with. I don't know if it'll help, but it's how I handle my over affectionate ends.

I'm only 10 months post, but hopefully I can help. I started using unrefined coconut oil on top of my leave-in (Nexxus Headress) and that has helped me with combing and using my Denman brush after I get out of the shower.

It also helps me to use a moisturizing deep conditioner that detangles so that I can detangle in the shower while I'm rinsing the conditioner out. Pantene Relaxed & Natural Breakage Defense Deep Conditioning Mask and Pantene Pro-V Restoratives Time Renewal Replenishing Mask are great for detangling. ORS Replenishing Conditioner and Redken Real Control Intense Renewal Mask are good.

Maybe you can PM caligirl and MissMarie if they don't post a reply here. They had very long transitions like I'm going to have - they might have some suggestions for you.

Are you detangling under running water with conditioner in your hair? Do you use a detangling shampoo, a detangling conditioner, or a detangling leave-in?

I think your hair is ready for the BC. I had a hard time holding on to my relaxed ends after 10 months, I can't imagine how much harder it is to hold on to it for 2 yrs. Do you think you could cut your hair? It will probably make a world of difference. Plus you can't really tell your true texture till you cut off your relaxed ends.

I would cut it, but I don't have a problem with it. The part that is knotting together is the natural part that curls up..it's knotting with the curly ends. Even if I cut the relaxed ends, that won't alleviate the problem, but that's for the response.

How is your moisture level? I noticed with my hair...if the mositure is not right...that's when I get the lil knots and dreds.

Congrats on a 2 year transition! Wow.

Thank you! I think it probably is my moisture level. I've been trying to cowash more to see if that'll help.

Two things I've learned with my hair.

1) It has to be properly hydrated. Most of the problems I've had with my hair, have had a root cause of my hair just not being moisturized enough. I definitely think that my hair is properly moisturized. I've been trying to cowash to see if that'll help. I've used glycerin and water as a moisturizer, wave noveau, kids organic moisturizer, pure shea butter, shealoe, etc and none of that stuff leaves my hair moisturized. :sad: The only thing that has been helping is the cowashing, but still my hair isn't at it's optimal moisturized look.:nono:

2) Manipulating totally wet hair, is safe. Manipulating totally dry hair, is safe. Any manipulation at any point in between equals tangles. Mind you, I'm not saying that my hair doesn't tangle at ALL during the 'safe' times, it just tangles a WHOLE lot less than it does during the 'in between' times. I twist my hair in big two strand twists while in the shower, lightly oil each twist (just run my hands down the twist with oil on my hands) and then let it dry - without untwisting it. Once it's fully dry, I untwist, moisturize/apply leave in, and style. I only comb my hair when it's totally wet. All I do is hop out the shower and put it in a bun. I've started leaving conditioner in my hair because it at least leaves my hair feeling soft. I made a mistake and fell asleep with my hair wet this week, and when I woke up it was a total disaster:wallbash:. I had to wash it again and slather conditioner in order to comb it.

It's made my hair SO much easier to deal with. I don't know if it'll help, but it's how I handle my over affectionate ends.

Thanks for your response. I think it will definitely help if I can find something to really moisturize my hair.

I'm only 10 months post, but hopefully I can help. I started using unrefined coconut oil on top of my leave-in (Nexxus Headress) and that has helped me with combing and using my Denman brush after I get out of the shower. I'll definitely try the coconut oil.

It also helps me to use a moisturizing deep conditioner that detangles so that I can detangle in the shower while I'm rinsing the conditioner out. Pantene Relaxed & Natural Breakage Defense Deep Conditioning Mask I use this too and absolutely love it and Pantene Pro-V Restoratives Time Renewal Replenishing Mask are great for detangling. ORS Replenishing Conditioner and Redken Real Control Intense Renewal Mask are good.

Maybe you can PM caligirl and MissMarie if they don't post a reply here. They had very long transitions like I'm going to have - they might have some suggestions for you. Thanks! I'll do that.

Are you detangling under running water with conditioner in your hair? Do you use a detangling shampoo, a detangling conditioner, or a detangling leave-in?
Yes, m'am. I only detangle with conditioner slathered on my entire head under running water. It works really well, but when my hair is dry that's when I get the knots.

i think it is the moisture. my 4a curls will not act right unless they have been simmering in DC under a plastic cap for at least an hour or unless they are loaded down with conditioner following a cowash. they dry beautifully then.

let me go more than 2 days without doing this...i will feel like my hair is taking me hostage. lol

I'm currently long-term transitioning (about 2 yrs now), and I'm having a love/hate relationship with the natural portion of my hair right now. The relaxed ends are fine, but the part of my hair that is all natural is giving me a run for my money.

I absolutely love my hair texture. However, I do not like the constant dredding or knotting. I could detangle one second, and the next some of my strands are fighting each other. :wallbash: I'm forever tearing hair apart. :sad:

My hair curls on the end, and I'm having the hardest time stopping it from knotting against other strands. It's really frustrating because I find myself cutting alot of my ends off. :nono: Sometimes I can save it and gently get rid of the knot, but other times it's just hopeless and I have to cut it. If this is what it's going to be like when I'm all natural, I don't want any part of it.

Ladies, please help me. Any and all suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated.

Why are you transitioning for TWO YEARS? I think you have enough newgrowth where you can make the move to cut it off. I transitioned for a year, but could only keep my hair in a ponytail (I think) with the ends wrapped in a bun.

You cannot use relaxed hair products on natural hair. They don't work. You need more moisture and heavier type conditioners, shampoos and stylers.

Have you thought about doing strawsets? This is a lifesaver style for transitioners. Also, Pantene's Relaxed and Natural line is supposed to be good.

Personally, I think you should BC or relax it. Either way you're being held prisoner to the two texture and will continue to have problems.

Hey Ediese. I'm sorry about your troubles. What really helped me combat the matting and tangling was increasing the moisture level in my NG but not necessarily my relaxed ends. I can literally soak my new growth but I apply it sparingly to my relaxed ends. If the relaxed parts get too much moisture it become every mushy and tangly. I now use a spritz containing powered MSM, distilled water, aloe vera juice, essential oil (rosemary, peppermint, or lavender), and vegetable glycerin. I found that combo on youtube. My hair now stays soft and moisturized much longer than before. I also finger comb and plait it during the week.

I use a wide tooth comb and a Denman brush during my washing sessions. This ensures all the shed hair is out so it can't tangle up with the rest of my hair later on.

I so impressed that you've gone two years with 4A kinky coily hair.

Last edited:
Hmm.. for some reason I haven't really experienced the knotting and dredding that people talk about. The only advice I can offer you is what I do for my regime:

* Alway detangle hair under running water
* After my wash I leave my hair ALONE (no more major detangling)
* Part hair into sections, coat that section with castor oil, detangle that section with a denman brush and TWIST IT UP

I have found that air drying natural hair is out of the question if I was managable hair because when it dries it shrinks and knots up. Air drying in moisturized twists gives me AMAZING results... 100% of the time

HTH :yep:

i think it is the moisture. my 4a curls will not act right unless they have been simmering in DC under a plastic cap for at least an hour or unless they are loaded down with conditioner following a cowash. they dry beautifully then.

let me go more than 2 days without doing this...i will feel like my hair is taking me hostage. lol

My hair is loaded with pantene dc mask conditioner right now and it feels wonderful. I'm leaving it in overnight wrapped with a saran wrap. I think I might have to do this more often. I have never seen this many curls in my hair. I'm loving it.

What moisturizer do you use?

Why are you transitioning for TWO YEARS? I think you have enough newgrowth where you can make the move to cut it off. I transitioned for a year, but could only keep my hair in a ponytail (I think) with the ends wrapped in a bun.

You cannot use relaxed hair products on natural hair. They don't work. You need more moisture and heavier type conditioners, shampoos and stylers.

Have you thought about doing strawsets? This is a lifesaver style for transitioners. Also, Pantene's Relaxed and Natural line is supposed to be good.

Personally, I think you should BC or relax it. Either way you're being held prisoner to the two texture and will continue to have problems.

I guess I'm just not ready to get rid of the length. I'm so close to wl that I can taste it. OMG..this is the longest my hair has ever been. I would really hate to relax, but it's hard to cut off all of that hair.

Also, if the length of the new growth was the same throughout my head, that would be different. The thing is I haven't relaxed the hair that was braided underneath my weave. However, I still relaxed the horseshoe area, edges and back up until a year ago. If I cut of my ends, I'd have a mullet and not is not cute.:nono:

I was really thinking about doing a strawset. I might try that out tomorrow. I just know it'll take a looonnggg time to finish so that was my only hesitation.

Hey Ediese. I'm sorry about your troubles. What really helped me combat the matting and tangling was increasing the moisture level in my NG but not necessarily my relaxed ends. I can literally soak my new growth but I apply it sparingly to my relaxed ends. If the relaxed parts get too much moisture it become every mushy and tangly. I now use a spritz containing powered MSM, distilled water, aloe vera juice, essential oil (rosemary, peppermint, or lavender), and vegetable glycerin. I found that combo on youtube. My hair now stays soft and moisturized much longer than before. I also finger comb and plait it during the week.

I use a wide tooth comb and a Denman brush during my washing sessions. This ensures all the shed hair is out so it can't tangle up with the rest of my hair later on.

I so impressed that you've gone two years with 4A kinky coily hair.

Thanks so much for all of the great advice. I'm definitely going to try your combo. I think if I find something to help with moisturizing then things will be much easier. I've been able to hang for so long because I'm always in a sew-in.:yep: I didn't know it would be this difficult, but I'm still happy that I'm doing it. I love my texture (have some parts of my hair without relaxed ends) and tonight it formed perfect curls. I just love that. I would hate to relax it.

I usually use my wide tooth comb to detangle, but tonight I used my small tooth comb too because I don't think that the wide tooth comb gets all the shed hair.

I agree with the other ladies proper moisture is key. Also check your hairs porosity, if the cuticles are raised up and rough it leads to more tangles. I use a little Roux Porosity Control w/my DC every now and then to keep this in check. It has REALLY made a difference. I have also found that oils are my friend. I keep my ends well oiled. ALso I do not sleep w/my hair loose, I don't know if you do this but my hair will be tangled mess if I do.

I agree with the other ladies proper moisture is key. Also check your hairs porosity, if the cuticles are raised up and rough it leads to more tangles. I use a little Roux Porosity Control w/my DC every now and then to keep this in check. It has REALLY made a difference. I've heard about this product before, but I thought it was only for relaxed heads. I'm going to try this because I think it would help out. Even with water running on my head under the shower, it still doesn't feel wet (know that's kinda confusing). I think the porosity control will help with that. I have also found that oils are my friend. I keep my ends well oiled. I dced overnight, and just washed out the conditioner, applied a leave-in and oiled the ends. It feels so nice and soft. Hopefully, it stays like that when it dries. ALso I do not sleep w/my hair loose, I don't know if you do this but my hair will be tangled mess if I do. I made a mistake and fell asleep with it loose one day this past week and it was a tangled mess. I usually don't do that. I put it in twist and put on my scarve.

Thanks for the great advice. I really appreciate it!

No prob, I noticed you mentioned your hair not feeling wet. WHen was the last time you clarified?

I just clarified yesterday, and my hair feels good. I think prior to that I hadn't clarified in about a month. I think the overnight dc helped, but I'm really hoping that when it dries it stays soft and moisturized.

Back