4a/b's more length with lye or no-lye?

beana

In passing i've noticed that many of the longer haired (BSL or beyond) 4's who relax use no-lye. I'm wondering if the type of relaxer used plays a role in the ability to retain and upkeep tightly coiled hair.

Please post your hair type, the brand you use and, of course, if its lye or no lye. also it would be helpful to know if you relax straight or texlax.

Thanks! :yep:

MBL = no lye

I havent really noticed a correlation on the board, but it will be interesting to see what the results reveal. :)

I am almost bsl 4a and no lye... Well, no relaxer either! :lachen:

sorry couldn't resist from the title. Consider it a bump! :grin:

Come on! Out of curiosity I wanna know too and I'm natural. Just incase I ever make a switch, I'd like to know what the 4's are doing (not planning on right now but you never know). Spill it ladies...

Midback length here. I use ORS no lye relaxer regular formula. I relax straight, but like to leave a little texture so I add olive oil to my relaxer.

Oh and I'm a 4a/b

bumpers !!

I converted to Lye. Im in nurture mode de to a set bak but SL length...very crappy looking now actually LOL.

Lye doesnt make my hair as dry and def. helped contribute to my growth

I'm 4 a/b and I use Mizani BB which is a lye relaxer and I'm mbl...

I switched to a lye relaxer over a year ago...I don't know if there is a correlation but I do know my hair feels a lot different after relaxing and it's a lot shinier. I've also noticed a lot less breakage (but that could also be due to me taking better care of my hair now)

Last time I relaxed I used lye because I want to switch over, and it felt better on my hair, it was shinnier and softer..

Im apl still :wallbash:

Glazing BSL (3c/4a) When I was using no-lye I was experiencing extreme dryness. But once I switched to lye I don't have that problem anymore. Also, I can use less moisturizer on my hair, then when I was using no-lye

Last edited:
I'm MBL and I use lye relaxer.

I was using no-lye on my daughters hair. And she eventually had some breakage. So I've switch her over to lye, the same relaxer I use on my hair, and her hair is thriving.

Interesting question...

Lye tears up my scalp... I have a very sensitive scalp and lye burns me way too quickly. I've tried Mizani, ORS, and several others that the name is escaping me.. and I still burn.
No lye doesn't burn me as quickly, and I still have to use a sensitive relaxer. For the past few relaxers I've used Mizani Butter Blends Sensitive Scalp No Lye and I had good results w/ that. However this wknd I couldn't afford to buy it so I used the regular Mizani sensitive scalp at the salon and my scalp started to tingle :nono:. I need to just stick w/ the Butter Blends sensitive scalp.

All my life I've used no lye until I came to the boards and started using lye. Switched by to no lye.... The only difference I notice w/ lye is that it is good for texturizing and texlaxing if that's the effect you're going for.

I'm not sure as to which will gain you more length. But, I recently switched from no-lye to lye and I can definitely tell you with lye the hair is much softer, shinier and smoother. Less breakage occurs if the hair is all one texture. When I had ORS No-Lye my hair strands were not all one texture, but they were also dry despite the DCs and COwashes.

I don't think I'll ever go back to no-lye. My hair was too dry. My hair seems to be doing much better with lye relaxers.

4a/b using Mizani Butter Blends now.

I am 4a/b in some spots with a no-lye relaxer, the last lye relaxer I ahd burned me and left me underprocessed. I am between SL and APL.

I'm grazing apl and I used no lye for a long time until I found the hair boards. I couldn't understand why my hair would be sooo dry. I now use Silk Elements Lye relaxer (coarse formula) and it still leaves curl pattern in my hair which I love! I'm still doing frequent dusting every 8 weeks to get my ends in check I think the no lye left my ends weak so they're prone to splitting. With lye my hair feels more moisturized and not stripped like no lye makes my hair feel. Also, I've noticed more thickness.

Back