4a/4b hair and tangles/knotting

Mena

Healthy hair is not supposed to knot. How do you prevent the knotting and tangling? Do I need to get a trim? A special kind of conditioner or shampoo? Tips please!

I detangle my hair when I wash it. I also don't do the twists as much anymore, I noticed I had more tangles and knots when I did tiny twists.

Wait...who told you that healthy hair is not supposed to knot? :ohwell:
Because I've never heard that and don't believe it to be true. Knots depend on your hair type and hair practices. There are many naturals on this board with healthy hair and knots happen. Even to those with relaxers, knots happen. sometimes it is a piece of shed hair that tangled around the rest of your hair.

Trims can help because sometimes it is broken pieces of hair that add to the knots.

Are you natural or relaxed? when do you experience the knots? What is your current detangling method? what conditioners do you use?

More information is needed to provide better answers for your questions.:yep:

I need tips as well....BSL, 4b and my hair goes nuts in a ponytail or bun...
I know I need a trip and once I get that, I'll start oil rinsing more often and we'll see where that takes me....

I can't see my hair not tangling or knotting and my hair is healthy....

Wait...who told you that healthy hair is not supposed to knot? :ohwell:
Because I've never heard that and don't believe it to be true. Knots depend on your hair type and hair practices. There are many naturals on this board with healthy hair and knots happen. Even to those with relaxers, knots happen. sometimes it is a piece of shed hair that tangled around the rest of your hair.

Trims can help because sometimes it is broken pieces of hair that add to the knots.

Are you natural or relaxed? when do you experience the knots? What is your current detangling method? what conditioners do you use?

More information is needed to provide better answers for your questions.:yep:

im natural...i wash at least once a week ...it tangled more when I washed everyday ...hmm i try to leave my hair alone as much as possible...so i only dentagle when I am trying to put a new set of braids in like every week.

I have healthy hair - for the most part - and I get occasional knots.....

optimal conditioning - will make your hair 98% knot & Split free.

I do the following:

PREE POO religiously

I do not use SLS poos

I post poo religiously....
Now - some people will say that all of this is not needed for our hair to thrive...But - For me - it works. No dryness, no knots, fewer splits.... and the like.
Some more of my hair victories for 2007 - going into 08........
HAIR VICTORIES of 2007

Here is what I wanted to share with you, what has worked for ME...
My 3c/4b/4a hair has thrived under homemade and organic products. I really moved as far away from commercial products as possible, however I still own a few. I am grateful for many of the recipes and tips you ladies have given. I also really know my hair. That is very important to great hair. My hair does not like protein, so heavy protein, is a challenge for me….. I still do light protein treatments, as natural as possible ( Milk, ORS mixed with honey and EVOO). I will be trying yogurt in 2008! However, I have learned that Moisture, is my friend. I have also learned that I may not get 6 inches like the relaxed ladies, maybe because I have more detangling to do. Maybe I will get 3 to 4…. I will take what I can get…

1. YAY! NO MORE KNOTS!

Leave in Condish and ENDS obsession:
My hair has changed due to the fact that the ends have been in protective styles for most of the year. However, for most of the year I experienced knots ( URRGGH!!!)- however, since September, and intensive work on the ends, there are virtually NO KNOTS in the last 90 days…WHY?? I think it has been the leave in conditioning and constant sealing with natural oils/ butters….Coconut, hempseed, avocado, shea butter, etc… what ever I grab from the cabinet…. Whipped Baggy cream is also a favorite for 2007. I have baggied, but only 75% of the time this year. So – for 2008, intense baggies and the ends obsession will continue

2. PRE – POO is queen

I have had the best results this year with prepoos… Hot oils, Milk and honey ( which is protein) and mixing up homemade etaes, etc, has dramatically improved the condition of my hair. Centered Girl also discussed this, and I must agree. Most times, I pre poo with the same stuff I post poo with. I almosat ALWAYS stay under heat for 1 hour with any of my pre poos, unless I have oils on overnight. Once I jump in the shower, there is nothing but softness and smoothness.

The biggest improvements:
Fewer Tangles…. A lot fewer after pre poos…
Smooth hair while washing…… I can get a small comb, like butter, through my hair.
Hand detangling…. I am never rough on my hair. I know how it likes pampering.
I rarely take my hair out of braids or twists, unless I do so while wet.

3. SHAMPOOING RIGHT:
I have been shampooing in braids for 6 years… since I found www.growafrohairlong.com I have made a few personal improvements on Robin’s method, but Thank God for her!
I only use a tint bottle to shampoo, for oil rinses, ACV, and other rinses. It helps me get to my scalp and then the rest of the water can go down my hair. OF COURSE I use oils, and diluted organic poos… After almost 2 years of Shampooing like this, my hair has been obviously very happy. I personally only use CON for clarifying. UPDATE - NOW I Use BAKING SODA To Clarify....(ACV or Dandruff rinse: I only do this before shampooing, my hair does not like ACV alone. I started using Cayenne pepper for dandruff, and I like it!) the plan for 2008??? Shampoo every 3 to 5 days….

Oil rinse: Gratefully, I was doing this before BJ suggested it, but I was grateful for the reminder!

Post Condish: - this is a staple to every wash. My hair has to have this, with braids or not…. I just water down condishes with Braids. One hour – back under the heat….
Rinse & Detangle……… I find that if I detangle and rinse with tepid water on this step, I have fewer to no tangles.

4. THE WONDER FINAL RINSE:
I final rinse with COLD DISTILLED WATER. I use a large cup, I dip my twists in the water, then I pour the cup all over, after I turn off the shower. This has COMPLETELY changed my hair in 2007.

5.WEAR A WET T-SHIRT FOR SEXY HAIR
I only dry my hair from excess water with the Curly girl Towel, or one of my XL men’s Tee Shirts, then I put in my leave ins.

hope that helps! All of this works well in 2008 - So far....

Last edited:
I have healthy hair - for the most part - and I get occasional knots.....

optimal conditioning - will make your hair 98% knot & Split free.

I do the following:

PREE POO religiously

I do not use SLS poos

I post poo religiously....
Now - some people will say that all of this is not needed for our hair to thrive...But - For me - it works. No dryness, no knots, fewer splits.... and the like.
Some more of my hair victories for 2007 - going into 08........
HAIR VICTORIES of 2007

Here is what I wanted to share with you, what has worked for ME...
My 3c/4b/4a hair has thrived under homemade and organic products. I really moved as far away from commercial products as possible, however I still own a few. I am grateful for many of the recipes and tips you ladies have given. I also really know my hair. That is very important to great hair. My hair does not like protein, so heavy protein, is a challenge for me….. I still do light protein treatments, as natural as possible ( Milk, ORS mixed with honey and EVOO). I will be trying yogurt in 2008! However, I have learned that Moisture, is my friend. I have also learned that I may not get 6 inches like the relaxed ladies, maybe because I have more detangling to do. Maybe I will get 3 to 4…. I will take what I can get…

1. YAY! NO MORE KNOTS!

Leave in Condish and ENDS obsession:
My hair has changed due to the fact that the ends have been in protective styles for most of the year. However, for most of the year I experienced knots ( URRGGH!!!)- however, since September, and intensive work on the ends, there are virtually NO KNOTS in the last 90 days…WHY?? I think it has been the leave in conditioning and constant sealing with natural oils/ butters….Coconut, hempseed, avocado, shea butter, etc… what ever I grab from the cabinet…. Whipped Baggy cream is also a favorite for 2007. I have baggied, but only 75% of the time this year. So – for 2008, intense baggies and the ends obsession will continue

2. PRE – POO is queen

I have had the best results this year with prepoos… Hot oils, Milk and honey ( which is protein) and mixing up homemade etaes, etc, has dramatically improved the condition of my hair. Centered Girl also discussed this, and I must agree. Most times, I pre poo with the same stuff I post poo with. I almosat ALWAYS stay under heat for 1 hour with any of my pre poos, unless I have oils on overnight. Once I jump in the shower, there is nothing but softness and smoothness.

The biggest improvements:
Fewer Tangles…. A lot fewer after pre poos…
Smooth hair while washing…… I can get a small comb, like butter, through my hair.
Hand detangling…. I am never rough on my hair. I know how it likes pampering.
I rarely take my hair out of braids or twists, unless I do so while wet.

3. SHAMPOOING RIGHT:
I have been shampooing in braids for 6 years… since I found www.growafrohairlong.com I have made a few personal improvements on Robin’s method, but Thank God for her!
I only use a tint bottle to shampoo, for oil rinses, ACV, and other rinses. It helps me get to my scalp and then the rest of the water can go down my hair. OF COURSE I use oils, and diluted organic poos… After almost 2 years of Shampooing like this, my hair has been obviously very happy. I personally only use CON for clarifying. UPDATE - NOW I Use BAKING SODA To Clarify....(ACV or Dandruff rinse: I only do this before shampooing, my hair does not like ACV alone. I started using Cayenne pepper for dandruff, and I like it!) the plan for 2008??? Shampoo every 3 to 5 days….

Oil rinse: Gratefully, I was doing this before BJ suggested it, but I was grateful for the reminder!

Post Condish: - this is a staple to every wash. My hair has to have this, with braids or not…. I just water down condishes with Braids. One hour – back under the heat….
Rinse & Detangle……… I find that if I detangle and rinse with tepid water on this step, I have fewer to no tangles.

4. THE WONDER FINAL RINSE:
I final rinse with COLD DISTILLED WATER. I use a large cup, I dip my twists in the water, then I pour the cup all over, after I turn off the shower. This has COMPLETELY changed my hair in 2007.

5.WEAR A WET T-SHIRT FOR SEXY HAIR
I only dry my hair from excess water with the Curly girl Towel, or one of my XL men’s Tee Shirts, then I put in my leave ins.

hope that helps! All of this works well in 2008 - So far....

Thanks! I was having this issue again tonight. I think I need to go back to moisturizing with my ORS products and baggie maybe.

Back