4 years since the big chop and the things I've learned

nappystorm

Feb. 2005 I made the big chop after transitioning for 5 months. It wasn't easy I've went through ups and downs and several setbacks. I've reached my first LT goal of full APL/BSL-ish natural hair. I've learned several things since going natural...

1. Going natural involves making a mental transition as well. I guarantee if you don't change your thinking, naturalness will not last.

I see women getting distressed and frustrated b/c their hair won't swing, shine,etc, or at the time and effort they have to put into making their hair look like that. There's nothing wrong with wearing straight hair but realize that black hair isn't designed to do that. When you are making your hair do something it isn't designed to do, it's going to take hours, chemicals, and heat. Think of all the trouble it would take for a type 1 or 2 haired woman to get a 4b type hairstyle.

Therefore, I view straight hair on AA women the same way I veiw makeup, waxing, body shapers etc. It's beautiful and fun but not a necessity.

2. Hair is hair is hair is hair. I may be able to wash and go. My hair can handle a little more heat and manipulation. However, it's still hair. It still needs to be cleaned, conditioned, and handled with TLC. Many naturals think you can slack up on caring for your hair (I did too). Neglected hair will break, shed, etc no matter if it's nappy, relaxed, texlaxed etc.

3. No matter how I wear my hair some people are going to like it and some are not. I had long hair when I decided to go nappy. Believe me, I heard it all: You're ugly with short hair, that doesn't fit you, you need to comb your hair...When I wear my hair straight, I get: Where's the fro??? I liked your hair, you don't need to straighten your hair. Bottom line, do what you want with your hair.

4. Water is your friend. Why our people think water dries out hair out, IDK. Our hair needs moisture...water is moisture...umm...

5. Do what works for you and your hair type...I have lost the most hair jumping on bandwagons, listening to other people, and following regimens of people with different hair types. If you are stuck, find a hair twin. If you have 4b relaxed hair, don't try to follow the regimen of a 3a natural. I guarantee you will regret it...

6. The two key ingredients to remaining natural: Confidence and patience. You will need confidence because there are some truly ignorant, cruel, miserable people that will go out of their way to put you and your hair down. At first rude comments used to bother me but now I simply smile and say, "I like my hair", shrug my shoulders and walk away.

You will need patience if you want long hair. I would suggest taking pics to track growth. And find someone's fotki to stalk whose hair is about your length. Focus on health and cute little ways to style your hair the way it is at the moment. Trust me your hair will get there before you know it.

Good Luck and HHG:grin:

Relaxed hair. It was long but very damaged. My edges were about SL and I had the W shape in the back
Picture-vi.jpg

A few months after BC
d074_jpgph0_CkCBlelgyyHD-vi.jpg

Me 4 years later
006-3.jpg

playdate.jpg

Still getting that hang of posting pics. Excuse the hugeness of the photos. More in Fotki

I almost forgot...
Don't be fooled because someone is a beautician. Many beauticians screw up your hair (I think in purpose)and then convince you that your hair was already damaged and they will "get it back in shape" if you keep coming to them. Um no my hair was fine until you did XYZ. Also you've had your hair for 20+ years, you know what your hair will and won't do, what it likes and don't like. Don't let somebody who has only spent a few minutes with you convince you otherwise just because they've spent 18 months in school.
If you do go to a beautician. Go when you have alot of time to kill. Make a day of it. you don't want anyone rushing to do your hair. Half of that hair you have will end up on the floor afterwards. Use the wait time to observe how your beauticians treat their customers. Don't like what you see, leave.
Observe the condition of your beautician's hair. Is it healthy? If not, I would highly suggest not taking any hair advice from her. I love my braider but her hair is jacked up. She is not allowed ot touch my real hair unless she's giving me extensions or a weave.

Thanks for the feedback ladies.

For the lurkers, my fotki pw is lhcf

Feb. 2005 I made the big chop after transitioning for 5 months. It wasn't easy I've went through ups and downs and several setbacks. I've reached my first LT goal of full APL/BSL-ish natural hair. I've learned several things since going natural...

1. Going natural involves making a mental transition as well. I guarantee if you don't change your thinking, naturalness will not last.

I see women getting distressed and frustrated b/c their hair won't swing, shine,etc, or at the time and effort they have to put into making their hair look like that. There's nothing wrong with wearing straight hair but realize that black hair isn't designed to do that. When you are making your hair do something it isn't designed to do, it's going to take hours, chemicals, and heat. Think of all the trouble it would take for a type 1 or 2 haired woman to get a 4b type hairstyle.

Therefore, I view straight hair on AA women the same way I veiw makeup, waxing, body shapers etc. It's beautiful and fun but not a necessity.

2. Hair is hair is hair is hair. I may be able to wash and go. My hair can handle a little more heat and manipulation. However, it's still hair. It still needs to be cleaned, conditioned, and handled with TLC. Many naturals think you can slack up on caring for your hair (I did too). Neglected hair will break, shed, etc no matter if it's nappy, relaxed, texlaxed etc.

3. No matter how I wear my hair some people are going to like it and some are not. I had long hair when I decided to go nappy. Believe me, I heard it all: You're ugly with short hair, that doesn't fit you, you need to comb your hair...When I wear my hair straight, I get: Where's the fro??? I liked your hair, you don't need to straighten your hair. Bottom line, do what you want with your hair.

4. Water is your friend. Why our people think water dries out hair out, IDK. Our hair needs moisture...water is moisture...umm...

5. Do what works for you and your hair type...I have lost the most hair jumping on bandwagons, listening to other people, and following regimens of people with different hair types. If you are stuck, find a hair twin. If you have 4b relaxed hair, don't try to follow the regimen of a 3a natural. I guarantee you will regret it...

6. The two key ingredients to remaining natural: Confidence and patience. You will need confidence because there are some truly ignorant, cruel, miserable people that will go out of their way to put you and your hair down. At first rude comments used to bother me but now I simply smile and say, "I like my hair", shrug my shoulders and walk away.

You will need patience if you want long hair. I would suggest taking pics to track growth. And find someone's fotki to stalk whose hair is about your length. Focus on health and cute little ways to style your hair the way it is at the moment. Trust me your hair will get there before you know it.

Good Luck and HHG:grin:

You totally rock, sis.

Thanks!!! this needs to be a Sticky!!!:lick:

:worship2: praise da LAWD......

I almost forgot...
Don't be fooled because someone is a beautician. Many beauticians screw up your hair (I think in purpose)and then convince you that your hair was already damaged and they will "get it back in shape" if you keep coming to them. Um no my hair was fine until you did XYZ. Also you've had your hair for 20+ years, you know what your hair will and won't do, what it likes and don't like. Don't let somebody who has only spent a few minutes with you convince you otherwise just because they've spent 18 months in school.
If you do go to a beautician. Go when you have alot of time to kill. Make a day of it. you don't want anyone rushing to do your hair. Half of that hair you have will end up on the floor afterwards. Use the wait time to observe how your beauticians treat their customers. Don't like what you see, leave.
Observe the condition of your beautician's hair. Is it healthy? If not, I would highly suggest not taking any hair advice from her. I love my braider but her hair is jacked up. She is not allowed ot touch my real hair unless she's giving me extensions or a weave.

Thanks for the feedback ladies.

For the lurkers, my fotki pw is lhcf

Thanks ladies. I will make this a blog entry so it won't get buried in a thread graveyard.

Most of these lessons I learned the hard way...

Your hair is so beautiful! Look at the difference in your straight relaxed and natural pics! And that fro is fab!

Thanks for sharing what you've learned!

You said exactly what needed to be said. I've been natural for 4 years on and off. The two times I relaxed, I ended up going natural again a couple of months later.

This mental transition is the most important part. I wanted the curls but I couldn't understand why what I did with my relaxed hair did not work on my natural hair. It took me two years to realize that I had to do something different. And, I'm glad I did.

Your hair is very beautiful! You've been doing a god job.

I really appreciate your post. I am not natural but texlaxed and I get all kinds of negative comments when I tell other black women that I wash my hair twice a week. One person actually said that I am probably damaging my hair by washing it so much. It is so nice that I can get encouragement from this website!!!

Wonderful advice, I think I have trouble with the mind thing about being natural, but I love your natural look, it looks good on you and so does being straighten, thanks for the advice I will write this down if I decide to go natural.........

Back