4(a)/(b) Hair Texture

McQuay30

Hello,

Does 4(a) hair texture feels like waves when coming in or is it because of the weight of hair that stretch the hair into waves from coils?
Does 4(b) hair texture feels like knots and when rubbed does it loosen and turn bushy like? I am trying to determin my hair texture.
Also in regards to naturals who was once relaxed and had breakage in the crown area, once you became naturals did this resolve the problem with your crown area?

when I was relaxed, some parts of my head when the new growth came in grew wavy and others bushy. I'm not sure about the hair feeling like knots though. My crown has made wonderful steps since being natural. My crown barely has breakage and the length is pretty much the same all over.

a couple people have told me that i'm 4a. when I was transitioning some of my hair felt puffyish with no pattern at all and others were wavy because of the weight of the relaxed hair. since i've BCd I have curls in the places that were waves and looser curls in the non pattern areas.

So the bushy hair or small "knots" is possibly 4b and the looser or waves is possibly 4a? I am think I have 4b around the perimeter of my head and 4a on the top but my crown does not have anything, just dry.

a couple people have told me that i'm 4a. when I was transitioning some of my hair felt puffyish with no pattern at all and others were wavy because of the weight of the relaxed hair. since i've BCd I have curls in the places that were waves and looser curls in the non pattern areas.

So do you consider yourself 4a/b, with the puffy area being b and the rest a? It is possible the "knots" are very very tight coils.

McQuay i'm still not sure. I was going to give myself a few more months before I really type myself because I know it can change. I know that 4B has very small coils and all of my hair has a distinct pattern all around and clumps together. Here is a shot of my wet hair after cowashing:
LastdayinWashington064-vi.jpg

when I was relaxed, some parts of my head when the new growth came in grew wavy and others bushy. I'm not sure about the hair feeling like knots though. My crown has made wonderful steps since being natural. My crown barely has breakage and the length is pretty much the same all over.

What is your hair type?? I am currently relaxed and almost BSL, but my crown area have broken down to about two inch in length and is always breaking at the dema-line. No matter what I do, so I am considering transitioning because of this and I love to see the thickness of natural hair, but I need to be able to handle the texture. Also my daughter jsut turned one and I believe she is a 3c/4a and it it so pretty when wet. All the youtube videos I have seen of natural hair whether 3c/4a/b is soooooo pretty.

McQuay I was having a thought today about my transition and my hair was relaxed bone straight so the difference in textures was striking. But I wonder if it's less of a pain for those that are relaxed and still have a good amount of curl left, or texlaxed folks. Just a random thought.

McQuay i'm still not sure. I was going to give myself a few more months before I really type myself because I know it can change. I know that 4B has very small coils and all of my hair has a distinct pattern all around and clumps together. Here is a shot of my wet hair after cowashing:
LastdayinWashington064-vi.jpg
Why would a person texture change? Is it because of length or weigth of hair or because of finally being free of all of the chemicals on the scalp? I love your thickness, How is your crown since being natural or did you have a problem with it when you were relaxed?

Hello,

Does 4(a) hair texture feels like waves when coming in or is it because of the weight of hair that stretch the hair into waves from coils?
Does 4(b) hair texture feels like knots and when rubbed does it loosen and turn bushy like? I am trying to determin my hair texture.
Also in regards to naturals who was once relaxed and had breakage in the crown area, once you became naturals did this resolve the problem with your crown area?

Yes, I think 4b feels more like knots or really tight "o's" as it comes in. I had no doubt about my texture as it grew in while I was relaxed. Perhaps you are borderline something. I believe when you are 4b there is no denying it.

As far as crown issues, no, they ddin't disappear when I went natural. Much to my surprise! I thougth going natural would totally solve that problem. Apparently the hair grows in just as fragile and just as coarse as it did when I was relaxed. My crown can't take alot of tugging, pulling or tension (i.e., hair pins, clips, pony tails, etc.). The fact that I was being heavy handed with detangling really took me over the edge. ON top of that I was never getting enuff moisture to that area or the rest of my hair. I just recently learned how to infuse moisture into my strands. Its kinda embarassing since I 've been on this natural journey so long. This year actally marks the beginning of my [true] Healthy Haircare Journey!

McQuay I was having a thought today about my transition and my hair was relaxed bone straight so the difference in textures was striking. But I wonder if it's less of a pain for those that are relaxed and still have a good amount of curl left, or texlaxed folks. Just a random thought.

It is a pain regardless, I have "relaxed straight ends" texalxed on up with a portion of the texlaxed not as texlaxed as another portion and than about 1/2 inch of new growth. I am currently about 10 weeks post but this breakage all over is hard to deal with.

well, when I first BC'd my hair was one big airy puff, over the past few weeks my hair has gotten curlier and curlier and from what i've seen some people's hair will look one way at one month post BC and another 6 months post BC. So it won't go from type 4 to type 2 or 3, nothing drastic like that but my curls may become more defined.

my relaxed hair never really gave me any problems except shedding once I got to about 4 months post. My crown is just fine, probably the curliest part of my hair. I love my thickness too! I had no idea my hair was this thick, lol.

What is your hair type?? I am currently relaxed and almost BSL, but my crown area have broken down to about two inch in length and is always breaking at the dema-line. No matter what I do, so I am considering transitioning because of this and I love to see the thickness of natural hair, but I need to be able to handle the texture. Also my daughter jsut turned one and I believe she is a 3c/4a and it it so pretty when wet. All the youtube videos I have seen of natural hair whether 3c/4a/b is soooooo pretty.
I'm a natural 4a/b mixed evenly I believe. I tend to apply my conditioners, leave-ins, and moistuizers to my crown first also I generally don't mess with that area. When relaxed my crown was always my issue-dry and breaking but like said now I really don't have problems there.

Last edited:
Yes, I think 4b feels more like knots or really tight "o's" as it comes in. I had no doubt about my texture as it grew in while I was relaxed. Perhaps you are borderline something. I believe when you are 4b there is no denying it.

As far as crown issues, no, they ddin't disappear when I went natural. Much to my surprise! I thougth going natural would totally solve that problem. Apparently the hair grows in just as fragile and just as coarse as it did when I was relaxed. My crown can't take alot of tugging, pulling or tension (i.e., hair pins, clips, pony tails, etc.). The fact that I was being heavy handed with detangling really took me over the edge. ON top of that I was never getting enuff moisture to that area or the rest of my hair. I just recently learned how to infuse moisture into my strands. Its kinda embarassing since I 've been on this natural journey so long. This year actally marks the beginning of my [true] Healthy Haircare Journey!

Thanks so much, for help me understand the "knots" so based on that I am 4a/b with 4b being around the head about 1 to 2 inches from edges and the rest 4a on top. Awwww shucks about the crown I was hoping it would be better, how are you infusing more moisture in that area?

well, when I first BC'd my hair was one big airy puff, over the past few weeks my hair has gotten curlier and curlier and from what i've seen some people's hair will look one way at one month post BC and another 6 months post BC. So it won't go from type 4 to type 2 or 3, nothing drastic like that but my curls may become more defined.

my relaxed hair never really gave me any problems except shedding once I got to about 4 months post. My crown is just fine, probably the curliest part of my hair. I love my thickness too! I had no idea my hair was this thick, lol.

SOOOO, like a 4b to 4a, possibly??? Cool, I feel I can deal with a 4a more so than a 4b but it is all in the products and the techniques.

Thanks so much, for help me understand the "knots" so based on that I am 4a/b with 4b being around the head about 1 to 2 inches from edges and the rest 4a on top. Awwww shucks about the crown I was hoping it would be better, how are you infusing more moisture in that area?

Well I don't want you to feel that way. The overall condition of my hair is much better. I mean the relaxer would break off most of all the back of my hair, not just the crown. So I never new my crown was special. Thus, I never treated my crown any different than i did when I was relaxed. That was my biggest mistake. since it was so kinky there, I did alot of tugging and pulling and pinning.

Infusing moisture, maybe I'll pm the whole routine. Its really long, but quite simple-- yet innovative, but I'll give you the short version here.

One thing I do is start all moisture at the crown, and work my way out. I was neglecting that area or saving it for last, when It should be first. I have taken all drying products out of my hair routine, namely shampoo. My hair would feel at its absolute worse after shampooing and conditiong.

I got better products for infusing moisture & protein all at the same time-- restructuring product. One is a conditioner, Aubrey Organics GPB Protein balancing conditioner. Then I finish everything off with my all time favorite & #1 moisture product, castor oil rinses. I incorporated aloe vera juice in my pre poo and my daily leave-in

My hair is 4ab. I have a large chunck in the fron that is 4a and when my NG appears it looks wavy because of the relaxer weighing it down.

The back is a mixture of 4a and right next to a 4a will be a 4b non curly section. My hair is also incredibly dense.It is just fine. Go into my photo album and you will se what I am talking about.

When I went natural (back to relaxed now) I did not know how to handle the back while transititioning. I had so many tangles that one day I just cut it all off CHOP!!!

If your hair is mainly 4b you will just learn how to deal with it. You wont know til ALL your relaxed hair is gone.

Back